Old 09 April 2022, 11:43   #61

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
So there is no ambiguity in what I said in my post Beamishken .. for this boat .. its ridiculous suggesting the AV plate is mounted around 20mm above the transom bottom as you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I normally start 20 -25mm above, thats where I'd start, if your drilling holes I'd drill so the engine can be mounted level if required so you have the maximum adjustment upward, you'll never need to go deeper than level.
It just don’t work that way for this boat ..

Quote:
. Lifting the engine is free as you say & will likely gain revs as it goes up until it gets to the point of excess ventilation at which point I'd probably drop back one hole & your usually as good as it gets.
When lifting the AV plate above the transom it is above the point of excess ventilation and cant reach its top speed due to prop slip . Level with transom is top speed ..with just a little cavitation on turns

I hope that clarifies to everyone that its NOT good advice that you and Limecc are giving for this boat
Old 09 April 2022, 14:03   #62

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
So there is no ambiguity in what I said in my post Beamishken .. for this boat .. its ridiculous suggesting the AV plate is mounted around 20mm above the transom bottom as you suggest.

It just don’t work that way for this boat ..

When lifting the AV plate above the transom it is above the point of excess ventilation and cant reach its top speed due to prop slip . Level with transom is top speed ..with just a little cavitation on turns

I hope that clarifies to everyone that its NOT good advice that you and Limecc are giving for this boat
This may be best set up for your use but everyone has their own opinion on whats best for their own purpose. Theres is no one answer as everyone likes different things, what myself & others were saying was general advice which is free & easily reversed. Many folk like to play around and experiment with their boat for a set up which suits them. It would be a boring world if everyone liked the same thing.
Saying there is only one way to do things is just as wrong suggesting things to try which may or may not work. You only need to read roflhats zap cat thread to realise many folk spend hours & considerable sums in searching for the best set up. Clearly he enjoys tweeking & changing & so do many others. To say making suggestions it improve things is bad advice is just plain short sighted.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 09 April 2022, 16:11   #63

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Hoping to get my new Yamaha 25HP fourstoke next month
And here's me thinking you was a poor pensioner
Old 09 April 2022, 16:14   #64

Quote:
This may be best set up for your use but everyone has their own opinion on whats best for their own purpose.
Agreed.. but is it also not the case that there are also those who have no idea what is the best because they are guessing ..but still insist they know what is best for everyone.

Quote:
Theres is no one answer as everyone likes different things,
Again I agree ..however ..When I tried your very suggestion .. albiet .. before you made it .. and know it didn’t work..( it went like a bust balloon and slower too). I don’t think even you would like its performance..but then again..you might say you would just to be you.

So Why am I calling you and Limecc out ?

Im trying to save folks ruining their Quicksilver Alu by drilling multiple holes in their transom ..which you also say is easily reversed. The OP stated his clamps are already at the top of the transom..so I suspect four holes at least need drilled to follow your advice...and if he finds it doesn’t work ..will you will walk away and say ..its easily reversed

And you write that it is me being short sighted.... so be it.. Im short sighted
Old 09 April 2022, 16:18   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
And here's me thinking you was a poor pensioner
I am Steve..but with the 4s I can get twice the distance on a tank of fuel .. hear the VHF as its quieter ..and wont cover the neighbours washing in soot when I flush it out in the back yard ..so a far richer experience all round
Old 09 April 2022, 16:20   #66

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
More top end?

Well said Donny someone needs to tell it as it is I would be p***ed if I got that information and it all went tits up would not be happy there are a lot of newbies on her coming for information and to be told possibly wrong information needs to be called out
Old 09 April 2022, 16:28   #67

Town: South West Scotland
Boat name: Viper
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Tohatsu m70c
MMSI: 232032576
I'm just back from ribnet trip same boat same engine my engine is 20mm below
Transom 25 mph 11 1/4 pitch prop engine wasn't running quite right only getting to 4400 rpm on returning cleaned carb main jet partly blocked out today same prop and load 28 mph 5000 rpm
Old 09 April 2022, 16:33   #68

Quote:
I am Steve..but with the 4s I can get twice the distance on a tank of fuel .. hear the VHF as its quieter ..and wont cover the neighbours washing in soot when I flush it out in the back yard ..so a far richer experience all round
With the price of fuel Donny, and the amount of miles you cover, it'll pay for itself within 12 months!
Assume, due to weight, you will keep it on the transom until winter?
Old 09 April 2022, 17:24   #69

Hi HH ..you had a Highfield Classic 3.8 which looks the exact same hull to me .. so Im sure you will know how well they go with various AV plate heights and will know Im not far off the mark with my comments.

Hi Scooby..it sounds like you have your boat well sussed now. They are great boats and very seaworthy.. I have been round most the Inner Hebrides doing several thousand miles in various sea states in mine and no issues whatsoever...so can strongly recommend them.

Hi Steve .. it will be bolted on and wont come off except for servicing. I use the boat occasionally during winter too and was out in it last Saturday. The old Mariner still goes exceptionally well despite the mileage it has done. Starts first pull when warm.. or 3 / 4 pulls when cold. I wont be parting from it until I have the 4 stroke in my car. Believe it or not the new Yam 4 stoke is only a couple KG heavier than my Mariner which also lives on the transom now.

I worked out it would pay for itself in fuel/ oil savings in 4 or 5 years when I ordered it. It scares me when I look at the pumps prices and see petrol will cost me around £200 for one decent multi day trip..so my plan is to go even further from home and spend more nights away to make the cost more worth while.

Im looking forward to having electric start .. electric bilge pump ..and fixed VHF ..plus being able to charge the video gear as I go.. so hopefully there will be plenty videos of the places I go.

Enjoy your boats guys and perhaps we will meet up one day...Im never far from the sea.
Old 09 April 2022, 17:35   #70

You have a good summer too Donny, hope the new OB works well for you. Look forward to the video's and hopefully meeting up at the end of August.
Old 10 April 2022, 07:33   #71

Quote:
Agreed.. but is it also not the case that there are also those who have no idea what is the best because they are guessing ..but still insist they know what is best for everyone.

Again I agree ..however ..When I tried your very suggestion .. albiet .. before you made it .. and know it didn’t work..( it went like a bust balloon and slower too). I don’t think even you would like its performance..but then again..you might say you would just to be you.

So Why am I calling you and Limecc out ?

Im trying to save folks ruining their Quicksilver Alu by drilling multiple holes in their transom ..which you also say is easily reversed. The OP stated his clamps are already at the top of the transom..so I suspect four holes at least need drilled to follow your advice...and if he finds it doesn’t work ..will you will walk away and say ..its easily reversed

And you write that it is me being short sighted.... so be it.. Im short sighted
Admittedly I assumed the engine was an Iso bolt pattern as I hadnt read which model engine it was, last 25 yam I fitted was an iso pattern. The op clarified later he planned modifying the outer plates to try his engine higher so wasnt about to turn his transom into a tee bag. The whole idea of the forum is to give folks ideas & tips they can try to establish what suits them best. No doubt the op is an adult and can take from it what he wants. The basic advice being given was fit a tach and dial in the trim & height to the best position for him, then move onto cost incurring mods if he felt necessary. None of it as you suggest was bad advice in general. Iirc your alu rib was a revelation to you after years of you stating how great your previous sib was, when most folk were already aware that a rib will outperform a sib in every way apart from storage.
Hopefully the op enjoys tinkering & playing with his setup & if he arrives at the same as you then great but imho he will enjoy the jouney of setting up his boat to his needs

Old 10 April 2022, 15:09   #72

Lol..what are you like beamishken..rabbitin on like an old wummin.. just accept that the advice you gave ... which was to raise the AV plate at least 20mm above the transom bottom for this boat it total boat bollox..

All the other advice given by folks like Chipko ..Fenlander.. Jeffstevens.. HH and Scooby is legit .... even Limecc initially gave good advice...untill he got involved in raising the AV plate . That is my opinion anyhoo.

You however have only said raise the AV plate .. which is wrong for this boat. I can prove that and will do if you wish

Anything else you have said is IMO not relevant to the OPs question.

Including this nonsense ..

Quote:
Iirc your alu rib was a revelation to you after years of you stating how great your previous sib was, when most folk were already aware that a rib will outperform a sib in every way apart from storage.
That scrapping the barrel a bit is it not Beamish ..even for you
Old 10 April 2022, 18:16   #73

Quote:
Lol..what are you like beamishken..rabbitin on like an old wummin.. just accept that the advice you gave ... which was to raise the AV plate at least 20mm above the transom bottom for this boat it total boat bollox.. [emoji38]

All the other advice given by folks like Chipko ..Fenlander.. Jeffstevens.. HH and Scooby is legit .... even Limecc initially gave good advice...untill he got involved in raising the AV plate . That is my opinion anyhoo.

You however have only said raise the AV plate .. which is wrong for this boat. I can prove that and will do if you wish

Anything else you have said is IMO not relevant to the OPs question.

Including this nonsense ..

That scrapping the barrel a bit is it not Beamish ..even for you
Haha so your saying that the only way to set up this boat is how you've done it? I said I would start 20mm high & go from there never did I say it would be the correct position. I was as were several others making suggestions for the op to try until you jumped in & basically said this is how to do it everything else is bollocks
Ok you set one boat up your now the resident expert lets leave it at that.

Old 10 April 2022, 18:37   #74

Quote:
Ok you set one boat up your now the resident expert lets leave it at that.

I see you are now following Limecc tactics Beamish ..are you the same person

For clarity as I dont think you really understand what I have been posting about. I am not recommending anything to anyone ..all I have been doing is highlighting that for this boat ..you and limecc are wrong ..and that Chipko..who Limecc ..backed by you ..tried to put down.. was actually correct.
Old 10 April 2022, 18:41   #75

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
It seems in this day and age experience means nothing to some I’ve boated with Donny a few years now I’ve been boating for over fifty years and still learn from him maybe he does from me I don’t know, there are very few of us that get on the water as much as him for me his advice is as good as you’ll get from anyone.
Old 10 April 2022, 19:13   #76

We all learn from each other Jeff. Every day is a school day. Im hope Im happy to admit when Im wrong. I know some people find it harder to admit they are wrong than others .. but that is forums and people for you.

I will admit that I should re-read Dale Carnegies “How to win Friends and Influence people “

However I have enjoyed our banter Beamishken .. thanks for the entertainment.
Old 10 April 2022, 19:33   #77

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
We all learn from each other Jeff. Every day is a school day. Im hope Im happy to admit when Im wrong. I know some people find it harder to admit they are wrong than others .. but that is forums and people for you.

I will admit that I should re-read Dale Carnegies “How to win Friends and Influence people “

Agree but no need to reinvent the wheel as some do or try to.
Old 10 April 2022, 20:45   #78

Quote:

Like I said at the start the guy asked for ways to make is boat go faster, he didnt ask for best compromise. We tried to give him the tools to make his own decisions.
If thats bad advice then so be it

Old 11 April 2022, 16:05   #79

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Ok let’s get this straight you did give Advice on how to set up the boat and you did say to drill holes in the transom to secure it I’ve had the same boat 380 highfield and never had issues with it you are limited to speed with the size of boat and horse power so if you need more speed go bigger [emoji85]
Old 11 April 2022, 17:09   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Ok let’s get this straight you did give Advice on how to set up the boat and you did say to drill holes in the transom to secure it I’ve had the same boat 380 highfield and never had issues with it you are limited to speed with the size of boat and horse power so if you need more speed go bigger [emoji85]
Yes I'm not denying I gave advice on how to set up the boat, thats what the guy asked for more top end. I also urged caution re drilling the holes too high admittedly I'd assumed it was an iso bracket with multiple hole positions , partly due to the pictures & diagrams posted. However the op came up with a plan to try it without drilling which is what I'd have done with a fixed bracket for trails. It would be prety obvious to most folk that the two bolts available on the earlier clamp bracket were supplementary to the clamps & the diagrams confirm there was some confusion re the bracket so should have been clear to the op.
The guy was getting good general well proven advice for the set up of a planing boat, IE fit a tach play with trim & lift the engine. None of that was bad advice & absolutely no need for folk to start getting smart about it. As for gurnard & his buddy rubbishing folks suggestions of things to try, it was plain uncalled for, no need to try & belittle anyone trying to help a fellow boater. Just because someone has set up the same or similar boat to suit their needs doesnt mean that set up will suit others. Its not reinventing the wheel nor bad advice to give someone the information they need to set up THEIR boat to their needs. Boats are rarely one size fits all & why should folk accept the same compromises as someone else, let them learn for themselves.
Gurnard himself admitted he got an approximately 5% increase in speed with his av level but didnt go higher & presumably doesnt know that a prop tweek can help alleviate the ventilation from a higher running prop.
Its easy to say just slap the engine on & be done with it or buy bigger but some folk enjoy tinkering & ringing out the last half knot! thats often half the fun. Perhaps you should tell roflhat to go buy an f1 powerboat so he can go faster instead of spending hours tweeking & modifying his thundercat. Why some folk suddenly thinks playing with set up is a waste of time is a little puzzling to me