Old 30 October 2015, 18:02   #1

Make: Atlantic 21
Length: 7m +
Mariner 150 Trim failure

Hi all,
I just found my Powertrim&Tilt PTT motor on my Mariner V150 2 Stroke to have failed - I have no idea why - after 6 weeks storage in a shelter (Motor is 3-wire type on sidefilled 3-stroke PTT) The motor is simply dead (tested with motors 3 wire - battery-method directly, nothing happens). Now I want to take off the PTTmotor and repair or exchange it - but I cannot reach one of the two screws holding it on the trim/pump Assy. Before I start disassembling the Engine and Transom I want to ask you if anybody has done this before or has a good hint how to reach that screw...
Any commenst are very appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 30 October 2015, 19:41   #2

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
I have a similar outboard and had a similar problem. I opened the bleed screw, hoisted the engine to the up position, locked it in place (supported weight of engine), removed trim motor assembly and dismantled. Its basically a car starter motor which powers a small hydraulic pump. Nothing complex. I stripped mine apart, the brushes on the motor were worn out. Soldered in some new brushes, cleaned it up, painted the outside again and put back on boat. All fine since. Hardest part was finding suitably sized brushes (had to file them downs lightly to make them fit!)
Old 30 October 2015, 21:03   #3

Thanks, diver 1, for your reply - makes me trust that the repair of the motor might not be such a very big deal. However - I have to get it out first. I pushed the engine up same way you descirbe, I can loosen the first screw easily, but I do not find a way to reach the rear screw facing the transom. How did you access it, did you have to take off the engine?
Old 30 October 2015, 22:00   #4

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I think you can undo the whole pt&t unit (not just the motor) but leave the tilt ram attached to the outboard and swing it out from the yoke giving access to the motor.
Old 31 October 2015, 08:26   #5

Ok thanks - I will try, maybe it needs only some millimeters to get a tool between motor and transon/bracket. It looks like the PTT would not swing completely out of the brackets, only a cm or so. But it seems the only workaround.
Thanks for your suggestion
Old 31 October 2015, 10:20   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Does sound like worn brushes. Puts some pictures so we can see this last bolt/screw.
Old 31 October 2015, 18:20   #7

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Just be very careful when removing the setscrews ,,,, on a 2008 opti they are loctited at the factory and can shear ! Ask me how I know :-( Some pin point heat with care and plenty of penetrating oik can help apparently . It was the rear starboard one that caused me the expensive problem. Stainless bolts, loctite, alloy castings and salt water don't make great bed fellows !
Old 31 October 2015, 19:06   #8

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Sorry I can't remember how I did it. Like you at first inspection I thought it was a PITA but then I figured out a method and it was a piece of cake. I vaguely remember removing something else. For me doing the repair with the trim motor in situ was a no -goer, too awkward. Much easier in a nice clean workshop!
Old 31 October 2015, 19:11   #9

thank you all....1 screw did already not survive, and that was with very gentle power, I could not feel it coming ... . Another must have been gone before, which I observed during this procedure.
I will send a photo tomorrow - but there is no chance to see even a glimpse of that screw. All hidden from all sides.
Anyway, there are drills and threadcutters, I will not give up so quick.