Old 14 April 2012, 01:17   #1

Town: Apopka
Boat name: minnow
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard johnson 30
Kickback on pullcord

I recently accquired a 1991 Johnson 30 hp and it has a terrible kickback. It starts(sometimes). The last time I tried to start it had terrible kickback and would not start- it nearly broke my arm. Sometimes it pulls and sometimes halfway into the pull it kicks back. Any idea what causes this? I took off the flywheel and the shearpin was broken, we replaced it and then it cranked right up- but now it is doing the same thing it was. The engine would not shut off, so the guy helping messed with the kill switch, the shearpin is still in place but it will not start. Any ideas?
Old 14 April 2012, 05:43   #2

Town: leeds
Boat name: nichola
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbe72 View Post
I recently accquired a 1991 Johnson 30 hp and it has a terrible kickback. It starts(sometimes). The last time I tried to start it had terrible kickback and would not start- it nearly broke my arm. Sometimes it pulls and sometimes halfway into the pull it kicks back. Any idea what causes this? I took off the flywheel and the shearpin was broken, we replaced it and then it cranked right up- but now it is doing the same thing it was. The engine would not shut off, so the guy helping messed with the kill switch, the shearpin is still in place but it will not start. Any ideas?

sounds way too far advanced on the ignition,its firing before it should, i dont know much about outboards but i would think it has some sort of auto or manual timing unit ,it advances the timing as you open the throttle ,it will have stuck open making it fire before it should,advise you to download the manual for it and check out the ignition system, as for the kill switch fit a new one or bypass it for the time being till you have it running
Old 15 April 2012, 20:54   #3

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
HT leads on the right way round? Easy thing to do, but gets overlooked.