Old 28 September 2017, 18:03   #1

Length: 6m +
Kad32 coolant leak

Our Kad32 looks to be leaking coolant from the pump. There is an overhaul kit for over £300 which seems to consist of a couple of bearings, seal, gasket and an impeller on a shaft.
If you add it up and buy it all separately its a whole lot cheaper but theres a bearing no longer available although its in the kit!!
Im presuming the impeller is so much more expensive than the raw as its metal and maybe not in need of changing. As far as we are aware its never been changed...since '96! If it needs changing i'll change it.
A bearings a bearing to me so can i just take them out measure and renew, buy the gasket,seals and jobs a goodun or is that far to easy!?

Also, anyone know if there is a clutch kit for the compressor, how much and where from!?
Many thanks
Salty
Old 28 September 2017, 18:37   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I've overhauled the engine circulating water pump on a kad 40 series engine which, I guess, is similar. I purchased the bearings from Bearingboys. One of the bearings is available in stainless steel and I used one of them. The front bearing is the large one because it has to carry the load of the tensioned belt and you need to provide extra grease within its housing as a reservoir. You do need to purchase the internal water seal, it's a spring loaded, graphite rubbing seal, and the rear paper joint, though you could make one if you have gasket paper. Now, it's a tricky job because you need to install the graphite seal squarely and to the correct depth, also, the impeller is a push fit and has small clearances both between it and the pump body and it and the cylinder block.

The next trick is to ensure a seal between the pump body and the bottom of the thermostat housing, there's a short rubber tube which fits into recesses in both the housing and the pump. It simply sits in a groove and it easily dislodges during assembly and leaks. It's a pain. You need to buy that rubber tube too.
Old 28 September 2017, 19:59   #3

Length: 6m +
Nice one thanks. Not as easy as the schematic makes it look then. I will get it off in the not to distant future and have a look and keep in mind what you have said.
The rubber pipe from the thermostat i know well, must have taken half a day to get that seated last time i took that off!!!
Will take some before during and after pics when we get around to it
Cheers
Old 29 September 2017, 18:28   #4

Town: Netherlands
Boat name: Buffel
Make: Duarry
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
That rubber tube!!!!! It’s a pain in the a... Ended up by sealing one end with sika, wait to dry en fit the other end. Pomp is no rocket sience. Have done on my kad 43, is the same engine layout