Old 06 March 2017, 23:17   #1

Length: 4m +
Jack plate for small outboard

Hi all, I'm new to this so bare with me.
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about jack plates, I know what they are and their benefits but as is often the case when searching online, everything is based on massive powerful American speedboats!
I have a 4.5m rib with a 30hp outboard and would love to increase its performance- as far as I have learned so far, jack plates are a good method for achieving this.
Thanks
Andrew
Old 07 March 2017, 06:57   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
they are handy no dought manual cheaper than auto but for a small RIB why not just lift / lower the engine on the clamps until you get the optimum and fix permanantly at that far cheaper my opinion of course.
Old 07 March 2017, 07:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
they are handy no dought manual cheaper than auto but for a small RIB why not just lift / lower the engine on the clamps until you get the optimum and fix permanantly at that far cheaper my opinion of course.

Appreciate the responce, I have thought about what but I wasn't sure about lifting the hooks that rest on the horizontal top of the transom up into the air, would this not be a risk to the engine staying stable or do we think the bolts would be enough
Old 07 March 2017, 07:26   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_ireland View Post
Appreciate the responce, I have thought about what but I wasn't sure about lifting the hooks that rest on the horizontal top of the transom up into the air, would this not be a risk to the engine staying stable or do we think the bolts would be enough
normally the cavitation plate is level with the keel some times it needs to be lifted to achive that. my inflatateable came with plastic blocks but good hard wood will do so lift until you get the cav plate in position then bolt through so the engine is resting on the transom top or blocks and the bolts keep it fixed solid with the clamps.
if you dont want to fit bolts through the transom the clamps will keep it solid just make sure you fix the blocks to the transom and monitor the clamp tightness and have a lanyard from the engine to the A frame or similar in case it loosens off for safety.
some lift the engine so that the cav plate is an inch above keel line for performance purposes never done it my self but its an option have a play on the clamps until you get what you desire before final fix.

cheers
Old 07 March 2017, 07:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
normally the cavitation plate is level with the keel some times it needs to be lifted to achive that. my inflatateable came with plastic blocks but good hard wood will do so lift until you get the cav plate in position then bolt through so the engine is resting on the transom top or blocks and the bolts keep it fixed solid with the clamps.

if you dont want to fit bolts through the transom the clamps will keep it solid just make sure you fix the blocks to the transom and monitor the clamp tightness and have a lanyard from the engine to the A frame or similar in case it loosens off for safety.

some lift the engine so that the cav plate is an inch above keel line for performance purposes never done it my self but its an option have a play on the clamps until you get what you desire before final fix.

cheers

"Cheers jeff"

Tags
outboard