Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Is it worth it??

I'm looking at re-engining a heavy commercial 6m boat. It currently has twin 60's on it and I'd like a single big 150 - 200hp lump on the back.

I'll be using the boat fairly regularly but still nothing more than 200 hours a year. I've found 2 possibles so far; a 200 VMAX Yamaha and a 150 HDPI Yamaha. The price is similar and I'm wondering which one to go for.

Obviously the 200 vmax is gonna go like a rocket ship but put a big hole in wallet and the 150HDPI is gonna be more frugal but is it gonna be enough for a heavy 6m rib? I wanna be doing 40 knotts not 20 knotts.

Unfortuantely my experience of big lumps is either a 150, 135 optimax and a horrid johnson 140 ex Mod gulf war job. I'm terrified of getting a huge lump like the johnson and regretting it!

Anybodies help or opinion on this would be gratefully recieved!!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tamperred200vmax.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	17944   Click image for larger version

Name:	150HDPI.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	17945  
Old 17 March 2006, 14:54   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If it's a heavy boat and you want to be cruising at 40knots, you don't have any choice.

Easy.

Old 17 March 2006, 15:19   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
With the 150 you will be at WOT a lot more often than you will with a 200hp so you will prob get about the same anyway!!!
Old 17 March 2006, 15:21   #4

Town: Blandford / London
Boat name: Top Cat
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 235020739
I think I am right in saying that Yamaha manufacture (ed) a HPDI VMAX and non HPDI VMAX if the VMAX you're looking at is not a HPDI version I would expect it to have a serious thirst!

Glad that you have left the darkside and now looking at Yamahas! Why not go the whole hog and get a four stroke! (Puts head back behind parapet to avoid fall out!)
Old 17 March 2006, 15:31   #5
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
With the 150 you will be at WOT a lot more often than you will with a 200hp so you will prob get about the same anyway!!!
Nice one CP. Thats what worries me too!

Am I gonna flog a 150 and get the same mpg as a 200. Conversely if I get the 200 am I not gonna do the same and flog the 200, perhaps a 300 and so on and so forth. (I suspect this may happen anyway!! )

I reckon a 150 will keep me fairly happy! (but the 200 is tempting!) Anybody reckon the best one for resale?? I reckon the 150 will be better but divers will love a 200 as they share the fuel........decisions decisions.....

Chris
Old 17 March 2006, 15:45   #6

Town: Calshot
Boat name: Swan Song
Make: LM 27
Engine: Bukh 20
MMSI: ?
My Ribeye 785 has a 150hpdi on it.She tops at 40 knots (gps recorded max 42.7,although that was probably down tide).I worried this engine would not be man enough for my boat but having experienced it I find its ample.I truly want to cruise distance and not discover the top speed of my hull.
She cruises at 22 knots at 3000 rpm and has delighted me thus far.Oh,and she seems economical too.
No i'm not at wot flogging it and no she isn't a slouch getting on the plane,the comfortable cruising speed/rpm bears this out.
I hope that answers some of your query,your boat is probably heavier than mine but the long and short is the engines a sweetheart
Old 17 March 2006, 21:40   #7

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Chris

Once again I have to agree with the Codprawn.

When I picked it up my Ocean 625 had an old 150 Johnson VRO on the back, and I've now dropped a Suzuki 200 EFI on it.

I know the old Johnsons have a reputation for using fuel, but this was unbelievable, but mainly because to cruise at 30 knots I had it wide open the whole time.
The Suzi 200 is so much better, but mainly I think because 30 Knots is only about 2/3s throttle, and of course if I do use full throttle it gets very exciting.

Nasher.