Old 21 January 2023, 13:53   #1

Length: 7m +
Honda BF50 quick question

Have a quick question regards my Honda BF50 - purchased on a bit of a project boat last year.

Currently off the boat and I was wondering how big of a job it would be to change out the part (not sure what it's called) that the engine sits on and pivots side to side.

Does this part have a specific name? Has anyone every changed one, hard / easy?

Appreciate any advice.
Cheers
Rob

PS it's the rusty lump of metal in the pic!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine rust.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	142057  
Old 21 January 2023, 17:35   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Isn't that something like a "steering knuckle"? Seems to be listed as a "Mounting frame". Doesn't look like more than surface rust. You could remove it, wire brush it clean, then repaint it. Honda paint for outboards comes in a spray can. Do use a primer first.

Removal should be fairly straight forward.

Without knowing which engine you have makes it impossible to get a part number for you. I'd recommend always putting as much information as possible in your post so we can offer better help. An owners manual is worth every penny. My preference is for factory manuals but they do cost a little more.
Old 21 January 2023, 20:15   #3

Town: Billericay
Make: SR 5.4
Engine: Evenrude E-tec 90
I would do what Peter_C says. Had the same on my outboard & my mechanic said nothing to worry about.
Old 22 January 2023, 11:56   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
It’s a mounting frame but listed under swivel case. Looks like there’s rubber anti vibration bushes there too. Go onto Boats.net and search under your model of BF50 for exploded diagrams. I’d go a stage further and get it shot blasted before painting. Check the earth straps on the outboard including sacrificial anodes to see they are still doing their job. Seems to be a particular issue with Honda outboards. Think they suffer from rusty exhaust ports too? Nice project there if you go ahead and strip down.
Old 22 January 2023, 12:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
It’s a mounting frame but listed under swivel case. Looks like there’s rubber anti vibration bushes there too. Go onto Boats.net and search under your model of BF50 for exploded diagrams. I’d go a stage further and get it shot blasted before painting. Check the earth straps on the outboard including sacrificial anodes to see they are still doing their job. Seems to be a particular issue with Honda outboards. Think they suffer from rusty exhaust ports too? Nice project there if you go ahead and strip down.
Thanks - yes found the exploded diagram. Have got a repair manual for all Honda OB from 02-14, bit like a Haynes - quite good, but I can't see any description of this part which is called a frame mounting in the boats.net diagram.

It's defo a lot more than a bit of surface rust, and as you suggested probably needs shot blasting to clean properly - new part looks over $300, hence my thinking it's time to fix it.

The model is (apologies for not positing b4) BF50A4 LRTU? s/n BAZS3412342

If anyone has ever taken this part off, I'd love to hear about it
cheers
rob
Old 22 January 2023, 14:20   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quite an interesting thread here and picture heavy. Before you attack it with an angle grinder just double check some of the additional parts are still available. This is on a BF45 outboard. For penetrating oil I use Plus Gas.

Looks like you drop the lower leg, swivel tube and outboard saddle brackets. And engine hoist would be handy too! Preparing for Swivel Case and Mount Frame replacement

If it’s power trim, this was quite an interesting video too for the rusted trim motor.
Old 22 January 2023, 15:17   #7

Thanks Spartacus. That looks very interesting - will have a careful watch and decide what to do.
cheers
rob