Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 22 August 2016, 18:49   #21

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgie View Post
Alright, i travelled for a while to get some good fuel and injector cleaner. I ran it for 20mins and now it runs great. Thanks guys
That is awesome. I'm glad it worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojosrib View Post
Thanks sail rib......it s a good in depth, accurate account that will help many Boaties....

Thank You Jojosrib for the kind words. Cheers
Old 22 August 2016, 19:01   #22

to add something to this which happened to me a little while back.

i filled up with tesco fuel for the first time (and last) as there was a garage beside a slipway i was going to use, the boat got about 100 yards and engine wouldn't accelerate.

long story short, clogged up my fuel filters and nearly 200 quid useless.

moral of story is not fuels are equal, they may come from the same place but what the makers do with it before your tank matters.
Old 22 August 2016, 20:21   #23

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I googled fuel refineries & it appears there are only 6 refineries around the country
If that's the case where does the shit supermarket fuel come from?
Is there a placebo effect going on that says cos you pay more you get better fuel
Looks to me like you have a 6-1chance of fuel having come from the same place regardless of where you buy it
And if storage time is a factor surely the high turnover of a supermarket ensures fresh fuel when compared to a local supplier?
Old 22 August 2016, 20:52   #24

The good stuff is supposed to be filtered better, higher quality aditives and so on based on nothing more than google for a few mins......but ofcourse proving it is the problem.

Just because there are only 6 refineries doesn't mean all their fuel batches are the same standard, there is a minimum that everone must adhere to ofcourse but what happens after that is the point here really.

I can assure you my boat basically breaking down (limp mode) was not a placebo, i wish the bill to fix it was though! However i accept i could get same from BP etc......but i have not thus far.

What i do find odd though is something is going on as my mondeos specifically said do not use supermarket fuels on the filler cap, no mention what brand to use, just not supermarket fuels. If there was a motive other than quality, why not simply say use BP or whatever?
Old 22 August 2016, 21:58   #25

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I'm not convinced that avoiding supermarket fuel is the complete answer.
It may be that the info contained in sailrib's post 11 is close to the answer in that storage and handling post sale and extra ethanol content are the more likely the culprits. Pikey Dave probably hit the nail on the head with his suggestion that good filtration is the key
Large built in tanks will be much harder to manage than smaller portable tanks which can be totally drained and refilled easily which will reduce contaminate build up
Old 22 August 2016, 22:58   #26

Indeed avoiding supermarket fuels is not the complete answer but every little helps if you believe it to be a factor.

IF you can believe some experts on this then some say branded stuff is better filtrated and better additives.....some experts would say no difference though.

You can only do what makes you feel good and not putting supermarket fuel in my car or boat is good enough for me.YMMV
Old 22 August 2016, 23:49   #27

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Cheap fuel isnt always refined in the UK a lot of it comes from Russia via Rotterdam
Old 23 August 2016, 00:10   #28

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I'm not convinced that avoiding supermarket fuel is the complete answer.
It may be that the info contained in sailrib's post 11 is close to the answer in that storage and handling post sale and extra ethanol content are the more likely the culprits. Pikey Dave probably hit the nail on the head with his suggestion that good filtration is the key
Large built in tanks will be much harder to manage than smaller portable tanks which can be totally drained and refilled easily which will reduce contaminate build up

I totally agree that not just a good but an excellent fuel filtration is very key. I suggest installing a 10 micron water separator filtration system. I think it's very important and it's not hard to do or maintain just need to make sure replacement filters are easy to get.

I suggest getting something like this with a clear bowl to see how much water and whatever else is there in the system.

I'm inclined to do a dual water separating filter system with a 5 micron & 30 micron fuel filters but only if does not restrict fuel flow for my traveling RIB. Plumbing it in series. This rib is always on a trailer or in a container going somewhere international to a place without a guarantee of good fuel quality or can sit for many months at a time. Spare filters do not take up too much space.

**** Also, Don't forget to frequently change the fuel filter located on the engine. A lot of people forget to do this.