Old 22 August 2005, 14:09   #1

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Venus
Make: Osprey 18 appx 1988
Length: 5m +
Engine: Selva S1400 / 100hp
Here's my old Selva again!

G'day all,
I had a good weekend thrashing into some quite heavy seas. Finally, the old girl is running & planing well. Now getting +30 knots which is plenty for the boat design. Problem is, I was running at about 26 knots & she just stopped. Got towed into shore, gave it 10 mins & she fired up again, then ran all the rest of weekend without so much as a splutter. Fuel was new, 50:1 mix. No obvious faults. Didn't do anything to her to get her going again, just turned the key after a break. One theory I have is that she got too hot due to lack of water in the bounce over the waves. Has anyone heard of this before? Presumably it's not unique to a Selva motor? Any opinions valued.
Cheers
Old 26 August 2005, 17:16   #2

Town: Poole.
Make: Selva
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard - Selva
Here's my old selva again

No it won't be due to overheating - there is a Thermic switch which cuts out the top cylinder if motor starts to overheat.

Probably a fuel or ignition problem ... most likely a a poor earth probably on the kill cord switch or key switch but don't simply disconnect the wires from the back of the kill switch to isolate the switch because this kills the ignition system .... to isolate the kill switch remove the wires from the back of the switch and connect them together which will allow the system to work. .... this comment also applies to the thermic switch.