Old 26 January 2022, 13:57   #1

Town: Swansea
Length: 4m +
Help with throttle controls

I'm looking to install throttle controls and steering to my 40hp Mariner. (1990's, pull start, manual tilt)

I've seen various throttle control boxes/levers for sale. Can someone please advise on suitable types.

I've seen the double lever ultraflex which I assume is double for throttle and gear. These however look a bit old and thin.

I have also seen single lever, does this enable the reverse to be selected by simply pulling back the lever past neutral position, so a throttle and gear in one?.

Sorry but as you might guess it's all new

Cheers
Old 26 January 2022, 14:34   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack09 View Post
I'm looking to install throttle controls and steering to my 40hp Mariner. (1990's, pull start, manual tilt)

I've seen various throttle control boxes/levers for sale. Can someone please advise on suitable types.

I've seen the double lever ultraflex which I assume is double for throttle and gear. These however look a bit old and thin.

I have also seen single lever, does this enable the reverse to be selected by simply pulling back the lever past neutral position, so a throttle and gear in one?.

Sorry but as you might guess it's all new

Cheers
Depends wether you want side mount surface mount or recessed or top mount there are many combinations available. Must aftermarket stuff is selectable for wether its push or pull operation you need. Some yamaha controls are dedicated push or pull throttle & you need the correct one for your engine a look at asap supplies website or ebay will give you pictures of different set ups. Single leaver is favourite but try to get one with a neutral lock as not all have it & its pretty essential on a small boat

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 26 January 2022, 19:59   #3

Thanks,

I'm looking for a side mount but am open to anything as I am installing it all from scratch. Currently trawling around the online marketplaces to see if there's anything decent.

Just wanted to see what the main operation of the levers involved.
Old 26 January 2022, 20:55   #4

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
More than likely you have a 6e9 type mariner and there are 2 different fitting kits at the engine end. One kit uses 33c cables the other kit uses c5 type. Use google for images but make sure the control box takes the cable to suit your engine. You can get cables to cross over but keep it simple.
Old 26 January 2022, 21:42   #5

Yes it is a 6e9. That was one of my next questions regarding cables. A mechanic friend said cables can be altered to take different connectors but I thought why go to extra expense and effort.