Old 30 April 2008, 15:36   #1

Length: 5m +
fuel smell

I have 2 tanks of fuel on board. One under the deck in the hull of 200L and one under the sunbed behind of 60L. Both tanks have an air vent tube out but those are not closed. So when the boat is stalled with his coat over it, there is an enoying smell of fuel under the coat and along the boat.
Now 2 questions:

how can I close the air intake tubes? Is there any valve to put between?

And is the fuel evaporating till the tanks are empty?

Thanks
Old 30 April 2008, 15:59   #2

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
Hi
There are one-way valves available to insert into the pipe but as they only work "one way" (either on fuel expansion on sunny days or contraction on cool nights) you can end up with a vacuum and possible collapsed tank walls!!! My boat was kept under a full cover in the Cyprus sun and always smelt of fuel when I removed it, but never caused me a problem. Just ensure the vent exit is nowhere near a spark source and don't smoke when removing the cover.!!! Finally, don't worry about all the fuel venting away, it just doesn't happen!! I believe there may be a two-way valve available that requires a small over/underpressure before releasing but I am unable to find details., maybe someone else has the information.