Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB1 View Post
Thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions to help me resolve this fault.

I’m pleased to say it seems to be fixed, and the solution was unusual so I will document it here for future ETEC owners.

The symptoms were very rough, lumpy running and revs would not exceed around 1000rpm on a 2011 Evinrude eTec 30.

The outboard had been running perfectly 2 weeks ago, but had only been run at low speed for the past 5 or so running hours.

There was an unusual oil seep and a coating of oil in the lower case. I did not realise this was relevant at the time.

The tachometer warning lights gave me no useful information, but once I was able to start her up on the water hose, the lights on the EMM itself showed a Low Oil / Overheat warning. It was actually running in SAFE mode hence the rev limit and shaking.

The engine had not been running long enough to overheat and the impeller was replaced around 5 running hours ago.

The oil level was ok but upon close examination I found an air bubble in one of the oil lines.

A member of the ETEC owners club forum suggested performing two winterisation cycles to clear the bubble. This did the trick and the next time I started her up, the engine ran perfectly.

It turns out that if there is an air bubble (or any oil delivery issue) the ETEC will compensate by temporarily pumping extra oil. This explains the coating of oil on the inside of the case and the oil seep. It didn’t, however, clear the air bubble. Clearly winterisation does something different which does clear it.

Thanks again for your help and support. I hope one day I can contribute as much as I get out of RIBnet.

Glad you’re sorted. Going forward, I’d furnish meself with a diagnostic cable & software. The cable can be made up for pennies if you know your way around a soldering iron. Someone on here, ahem, cough cough, could provide the software[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2021, 09:21   #22

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB1 View Post
I’m not refusing to check the plugs, I just don’t have a long enough socket and I can’t get a spanner round them.

Ah.

Tags
evinrude