Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 July 2021, 07:56   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Underwood
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 Johnson
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2
Faulty fuel gauge

We have just acquired a Valliant 5.2 with Johnson 115.

Everything is great but we have a faulty fuel gauge, when turning on the ignition it immediately shows full (but it’s not, I wish!)

I am guessing there is an earth fault somewhere, all other instrumentation is fine.

Anyone know the fuel tank capacity on these Ribs?

We are currently on Park and Launch at West Coast Marine in Pwllheli.
__________________

__________________
bardseysound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 08:20   #2
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,802
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardseysound View Post
We have just acquired a Valliant 5.2 with Johnson 115.



Everything is great but we have a faulty fuel gauge, when turning on the ignition it immediately shows full (but it’s not, I wish!)



I am guessing there is an earth fault somewhere, all other instrumentation is fine.



Anyone know the fuel tank capacity on these Ribs?



We are currently on Park and Launch at West Coast Marine in Pwllheli.


Even if it works, it won’t read accurately. Traditional fuel gauges on RIBs are pointless. Fill it up & use time /distance to calculate remaining fuel.
__________________

__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 08:42   #3
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Even if it works, it won’t read accurately. Traditional fuel gauges on RIBs are pointless. Fill it up & use time /distance to calculate remaining fuel.
mine works great the sender is the pole type with a ring float over it and although it is only an indication of fuel level its not that far out
__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 09:53   #4
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,773
I'd never trust an analogue fuel gauge.

From a full tank record the NM you do then see how much fuel is needed to brim the tank again. Over a few runs you'll get a working figure - L/NM o or NM/L you will be comfortable with, but keep a running calculation over time as on ongoing check

I'd also plan to keep a reserve of c. 25-30% in the tank at all times in case it's ever needed.

Happy ribbing
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 13:12   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150 HPDI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 228
Ditto what others said about analogue fuel gauges.
Trusty calibrated marked bit of dowelling has never let me down
__________________
Jon Tallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2021, 00:57   #6
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Ditto what others said about analogue fuel gauges.
Trusty calibrated marked bit of dowelling has never let me down
that wouldn't work for me as the tank is under the console and the filler neck is not straight i do know though that it takes over a gallon to start the needle moving from empty we deliberately fitted a sender that the float couldn't reach the base of the tank so even at empty on the gauge theirs a few inches of fuel left in the tank
__________________

__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.