Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 21 April 2008, 08:03   #1

Length: under 3m
Engine for Mk2 Touring Zodiac boat

Hi all,
Can you help me with a query?
We have a small inflatible Mk2 Touring Zodiac boat (a fold-up inflatiable), which we used to power with a 15Horsepower, 2 stoke engine, which has now gone to Engine Heaven, as a stop gap measure we were using a 4stroke, 10 Horsepower, long shaft Honda engine which is not as powerfull as the old engine and very heavy for the Zodiac, as with just one person in the boat, all the weight is in the back and the front used to rise up dangerously. What engines do ye use, or reccomend. Id like to get a Honda and I think that they only come in 4strokes any more.
All comments appreciated.
Thanks in Advance,
Dec
Old 21 April 2008, 14:12   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
A Honda BF 20 (4 stroke) with a short shaft & tiller only weighs about 108 lbs, which is a reasonable weight for a 4.2 m zodiac. If you want more zip, an older 30 hp Tohatsu/Nissan carburetted 2 stroke weighs even less.
Old 21 April 2008, 16:42   #3

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I had the honda BF20 on a sib , it was superb and went literally all day on 10 litres or so of fuel .
In comparison I had a 25 yam on another sib , it really didn't seem to have much more go than the honda if any and used tons of fuel .
The fuel usage was important to me not so much for the cost but for the amount you need to carry , add an extra 25 litres for the yam for the same trip and it was a lot more load , as both motors are the same wieght at about 47kg.
I think the reason the honda suited the sib is the mid range power which seems to me where sibs need the best power as they don't go much faster at WOT than 2/3 throttle .the steering friction lever on the honda made it much nicer to use .
Old 21 April 2008, 22:08   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I used to run a Zodiac CGT with a Yamaha 2-stroke short shaft 25HP outboard. For me this offered the best power-to-weight ratio, with easy DIY maintenance schedules, and frugal economy if used sensibly.

I know the Zodiac SIBs are light, and this isn't helped with a tiller-driving position, especially when you take into account a 25 litre fuel tank and engine weight.

Couple of options for you if you plan to use the boat yourself. Look at fitting remote steering (always a few on Ebay) so you transfer weight forward. Upgrade to an aluminium floor (if marine ply is fitted), this will enhance the rigidity and stability of the boat.
Old 21 April 2008, 22:42   #5

Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Zodiac engine

I run my 3.4 metre Zodiac Fastroller with an 18hp 2 stroke Tohatsu which was the lightest engine for its power. Compare the Tohatsu's 41kg with some of the others. Only problem is that they may not sell them any more. Gavin

www.rib-racers.com