Old 04 June 2007, 13:14   #1

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
Engine flushing

Greetings from Spain to all readers. I normally flush through my outboard every time straight after use but please could someone reassue me that the odd time I donīt is not important.

Problem is the tap is a fair way from the mooring & I figure I would have to flush it through & then paddle back. Bit of a faf & itīs hot here so after a days boating itīs the last thing we want to do. I reckon we will moor the boat most weekends & give her a good flush on the monday.

Anyway, whilst on the subject I use the direct hose connection, hook up the hose & turn water on. Fresh water spurts out of the back, I then fire up outboard & let it idle in neutral for 1 min or so. OB in vertical so all water drains out. Then a good clean for boat & ONB with lots of 303 & itīs all spotless.

Is this sufficient? I have the muffs but I read here that the direct connection when the OB is warm is just as good, as the thermostats are open. Its a Yamaha 80hp, 2006 vintage if it helps.

Brilliant site this, thanks to all contributors. Anyone coming this way in summer drop me a line.
Old 04 June 2007, 14:32   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Fresh Water Tank

Why not get hold of a 25 litre fuel tank, fill it with fresh water and use a 12volt pump to give it the pressure needed.

That should give you at least a minute of fresh water flushing.

I would never leave the engine overnight without flushing as the sea water will start getting to work even in that short a time period.

Chris
Old 04 June 2007, 15:59   #3

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Yamaha ME422 flushing query

Hi

not wishing to hijack your thread - but the a similar question.

Can the Yamaha ME422 inboard Diesel engine be flushed through without the engine running?
I guess the answer will depend on the water pump design?

If the boat is lifted out (by crane) the yard are happy to wash down the boat and flush the engine (only if they dont have to start it)
Their concern is that if they run the engine- all future problems could be blamed on them!

The Gentleman on the Yamaha stand at Ribex was unable to answer this question.
Paul
Old 04 June 2007, 18:00   #4

hi thanks for the speedy & accurate response. I have just been speaking to my mechanic & basically itīs true, the damage is done overnight. Scary stuff that sea water!

So a 12 v pump is on the shopping list. Before I go googling any suggestions or are they all the same?

Cheers for the advice, brilliant idea....I can flush wherever I please now.
Old 04 June 2007, 18:13   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Hi, I hope it works, I have to say I have never tried it myself however the idea seemed good to me.

As long as you have enough pressure to make the telltale pump normally you should be OK.

Chris
Old 04 June 2007, 19:03   #6

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
It should work, the RNLI have a system like it mounted onto their Atlantic RIB dodo trailers (not sure if it is pumped or gravity fed though).

Not sure what size pump you would need without testing it - I would be inclined to to stand the OB in a bowl or bucket big enough to catch all the water coming through and time how much you collect, then look for a pump (maybe a Jabsco or similar) that can achieve better than this flowrate at UK mains pressure (1 bar+). Then when you calculate that you need something with the same performance as an average fire engine pump, have a rethink .
Old 05 June 2007, 06:25   #7

Cheers, I got a 25l water container from a skip at the marina & it doesnīt even need cleaning, got a 50mm diam opening too so I plan to drop a Whale GP92 submersible pump into it, fill it with fresh water, hook it up to battery & I can flush wherever I like.

I just await email from Whale about whether the GP92 will give me enough pressure.

Total cost of set up.....container FOC from skip, Whale GP92 12 v pump, 35 GBP, a bit of hose & a few clips.

Iīll post here if it works, should give me 2 mins of flushing time.
Old 05 June 2007, 08:58   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
It should work, the RNLI have a system like it mounted onto their Atlantic RIB dodo trailers (not sure if it is pumped or gravity fed though).

Not sure what size pump you would need without testing it - I would be inclined to to stand the OB in a bowl or bucket big enough to catch all the water coming through and time how much you collect, then look for a pump (maybe a Jabsco or similar) that can achieve better than this flowrate at UK mains pressure (1 bar+). Then when you calculate that you need something with the same performance as an average fire engine pump, have a rethink .
The RNLI ILB's have gravity fed systems fitted to the launch trolleys. However, the purpose of these is to allow them to hit the water with the engines running not for flushing. The O/B's are fired up in the boathouse and run on muffs until the boat is launched. As for flushing immediatetly after use? Let's not get too worked up. Ideally it's good practise. If it doesn't happen every time don't worry. It might reduce the life of an engine by 0.0001%. Poor maintainence will do a better job. Look around a marina or moorings and ask the question, how many of those outboards are flushed everytime after use? Especially those used commercially.
Old 07 June 2007, 14:07   #9

Hi & many thanks for your posts & ideas on remote flushing. Change of plan from the inline pump as I was at the pool shop this morning & saw a portable garden sprayer thing. It holds 20l & I just replaced the lance with some garden tube & the outboard feed nozzle.

I just tested it & the 20l gives c 1-2 mins flush time, only 35 GBP & I can clean down the tubes as well with a click on spray I bought too. Only downside is you have to pump it yourself but a small price to pay.

Thanks again, well pleased & a simple solution.
Old 07 June 2007, 21:42   #10

Town: Ireland , cork
Boat name: liberty
Make: lencraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard yamaha 150
RibinSpain,
When you say you use the direct hose connection do you mean you use mufflers on your water intake or does your engine have a direct connection ( Garden hose quick fit type )
If it the direct connection type be careful as some manufactures say not to run your engine if using this system as this only injects water into the cooling ports of your engine bypassing the water pump impellor. If the engine is running this way you could burn the impellor out. ( Yamaha are definitely this way)
Old 08 June 2007, 13:07   #11

hi Sparkey, thanks for the advice. I run the direct hose input with fresh water & idle for 1 min or so. The dog ate my muffs!

This was on the advice of my mechanic so a little concerned that the fresh water bypasses the impeller. Is idling 1 min with no water touching the impellor going to cause more harm than good? I only idle as I understood the ob sucked up the fresh water & flushed out the whole ob.

Its a Yam 80 BETL 2006, I am pretty sure I saw water coming out the tell tale when I last flushed, with the engine idling. If so, & I will check properly next time, does that no mean the impellor is getting fresh water.

Thanks to all for advice, brilliant tips here.
Old 08 June 2007, 19:25   #12
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
You need to check. A rubber impeller will self destruct very quickly if it is run dry.

D...
Old 08 June 2007, 19:39   #13

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
The RNLI ILB's have gravity fed systems fitted to the launch trolleys. However, the purpose of these is to allow them to hit the water with the engines running not for flushing. The O/B's are fired up in the boathouse and run on muffs until the boat is launched. As for flushing immediatetly after use? Let's not get too worked up. Ideally it's good practise. If it doesn't happen every time don't worry. It might reduce the life of an engine by 0.0001%. Poor maintainence will do a better job. Look around a marina or moorings and ask the question, how many of those outboards are flushed everytime after use? Especially those used commercially.
Agreed .. flushing is not necessary after every dunk, .. your sacrificial anode is there to protect your motor in and out of the water, replace it when required and the motor will be fine.
Old 08 June 2007, 19:43   #14

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
As for flushing immediatetly after use? Let's not get too worked up. Ideally it's good practise. If it doesn't happen every time don't worry. It might reduce the life of an engine by 0.0001%. Poor maintainence will do a better job. Look around a marina or moorings and ask the question, how many of those outboards are flushed everytime after use? Especially those used commercially.

Agreed.

If you can't do it after everytrip then let the engine cool down whilst the boats still in the water. Then quickly start it up and run it for a minute. This will get cold saltwater in to the system that won't crystalize and clog up the waterways.
A tip recomended to me by a commercial boat owner who rarely flushes his engine through. Probably only once a year and never gets problems.
However I don't do it but would if I was leaving the boat in a Marina for a few days.
Old 18 June 2007, 19:29   #15

Town: London
Boat name: Johanna Maria
Make: Sacs Jamaica
Engine: Tohatsu,Petrol,120hp
Position of engine after use

Hi everyone

Does anyone know which is the best position for the engine after use? Does it matter if the propeller is tilted off the seawater or not? Is there a difference with leaving it submerged?

Thanks

Nikos