Click Here to Login

Old 10 July 2022, 18:16   #1

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
E-TEC 150 wierd behaviour. Any ideas??

Can anyone offer any suggestions about some very weird behaviour from my fairly new-to-me 2011 ETEC 150. It's got 300 hrs on the clock and just had a full service inc new fuel pump and 2 new injectors.

The engine has done a really weird thing when coming home and being flushed after it’s last 2 outings. Home is about 20 mins from the slipway so engine is probably just still warm at this point. On both occasions my son has been using the boat. The below has never happened when I've been using it, only my son and the only thing he does differently to me is he turns the main isolator off when towing - I don't bother

• Starts, runs for a fraction of a second and stops with a loud pop (bit like a backfire)
• Won’t re-start for several hours (will crank but won’t fire)
• On trying it several hours later, it starts but idle is initially very slow and lumpy with an unusually loud exhaust note
• Over first 3-4 minutes of running, the idle picks up, smooths out and the exhaust note returns to normal
• Then it’s fine for 10 minute run on muffs, stops and starts fine

Did this for the first time 3 weeks ago (fine for the 3 trips before that in my ownership post it's service)
The engine runs as sweet as a nut on the water and starts first time on the slip.
No faults showing on I-Command gauge but haven't plugged the diagnostics in yet.

Has anyone else experienced this before? What was the cause?
Old 10 July 2022, 18:23   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
E-TEC 150 wierd behaviour. Any ideas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Can anyone offer any suggestions about some very weird behaviour from my fairly new-to-me 2011 ETEC 150. It's got 300 hrs on the clock and just had a full service inc new fuel pump and 2 new injectors.

The engine has done a really weird thing when coming home and being flushed after it’s last 2 outings. Home is about 20 mins from the slipway so engine is probably just still warm at this point. On both occasions my son has been using the boat. The below has never happened when I've been using it, only my son and the only thing he does differently to me is he turns the main isolator off when towing - I don't bother

•Starts, runs for a fraction of a second and stops with a loud pop (bit like a backfire)

•Won’t re-start for several hours (will crank but won’t fire)

•On trying it several hours later, it starts but idle is initially very slow and lumpy with an unusually loud exhaust note

•Over first 3-4 minutes of running, the idle picks up, smooths out and the exhaust note returns to normal

•Then it’s fine for 10 minute run on muffs, stops and starts fine

Did this for the first time 3 weeks ago (fine for the 3 trips before that in my ownership post it's service)

The engine runs as sweet as a nut on the water and starts first time on the slip.

No faults showing on I-Command gauge but haven't plugged the diagnostics in yet.

Has anyone else experienced this before? What was the cause?

Could be the exhaust actuator. IIRC is on the Stbd side half way down the leg. It’s an electro/mechanical actuator that opens a flap in the exhaust at a certain RPM & lengthens the exhaust passage. It can stick in the open/closed position. You can manually activate it with the diagnostic software & see it moving.
On a side note NEVER EVER open or close a battery isolator with the engine running. You’ll damage the (very expensive) EMM.
Caveat, it’s been a few years since I owned an Etec, so some of the details could be flaky, I’m working from a fading memory.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2022, 20:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Could be the exhaust actuator. IIRC is on the Stbd side half way down the leg. It’s an electro/mechanical actuator that opens a flap in the exhaust at a certain RPM & lengthens the exhaust passage. It can stick in the open/closed position. You can manually activate it with the diagnostic software & see it moving.
On a side note NEVER EVER open or close a battery isolator with the engine running. You’ll damage the (very expensive) EMM.
Caveat, it’s been a few years since I owned an Etec, so some of the details could be flaky, I’m working from a fading memory.
Thanks PD. I'll have a look at that. Aware of the isolator but never hurts to remind - that would be an expensive mistake!
Old 10 July 2022, 20:48   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks PD. I'll have a look at that. Aware of the isolator but never hurts to remind - that would be an expensive mistake!

Come to think of it, it might only be the 115hp that has the exhaust actuator. Not 100% sure
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 10 July 2022, 20:58   #5

RIBase
When were the plugs last changed?
Old 10 July 2022, 21:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
When were the plugs last changed?
Service, less than 15hrs ago
Old 10 July 2022, 21:13   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Service, less than 15hrs ago

Has this only started since the service?
Old 11 July 2022, 05:26   #8

I had the engine fully serviced as soon as I bought it. Didn't use it before it was serviced. Used it 5 times since, perfect first 3 times out, did this on next two
Old 28 July 2022, 05:18   #9

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
60 HP Etec also has an exhaust valve. Best resource for Etec help is here:

https://www.etecownersgroup.com
Old 28 July 2022, 07:38   #10

Thanks NP, that's a useful site I wasn't aware of.
As update the problem seems to be related to how "tilted" the engine is when towed. It seems to not like being on full tilt. I suspect a problem with the VST float valve but have tested it and can't find a problem. (VST is new).
We seem to be able to work round the problem keeping the engine just sufficiently tilted to clear the number board when on the trailer. It means I can't use the tilt stop but that's another problem.
Thanks for the pointer.
J
Old 28 July 2022, 14:13   #11

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
You'll find that site very helpful; hopefully it will lead to a solution. In the meantime, you could use a spacer to fill the gap in your tilt stop. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.