Click Here to Login

Old 01 January 2010, 07:59   #41

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Just an update.........
Looks like it is bad news for all the Etec sceptics out there (I was on the point of becoming one). I took the engine into OSM and they said it was well within spec and nothing to worry about. When I dropped the engine off I couldn't demonstrate the apparent play in the bearings that I had seen before. Normally I would just think that I was going mad after a long day on the boat and a late finish but I had 2 friends with me who also witnessed what I did.
Anyhow they checked it out and said the amount movement was normal and not to worry about it. I had them change the gearoil, check the waterpump and grease all the leg bolts and I now have it back again. Apparently thay all have a tendency to leak a little oil when tilted up as well which I had only noticed recently.
I haven't run it yet and I can't see that happening till the spring now as I am mostly away with work until then. Looks like you were right Chris when you said there was a tiny amount of movement in your flywheel too. I haven't ever seen any play in any car engine bearings but I guess those don't use the same kind of bearings.
I'm eagerly awaiting loading a few hours on it this coming season to see how it goes from here on.

Another thing was the chap at osm told me never to run it on muffs as the lack of back pressure in the exhaust causes the oiling system to shut down. I couldn't find any reference to this in the handbook and I am sure I have seen oil pulses in the clear oil lines when It has been running on muffs before.
I can't find any mention of this on the Etec owners forum either and wondered if any one else had heard about it?????

Mark.
Old 01 January 2010, 13:02   #42

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
Another thing was the chap at osm told me never to run it on muffs as the lack of back pressure in the exhaust causes the oiling system to shut down. I couldn't find any reference to this in the handbook and I am sure I have seen oil pulses in the clear oil lines when It has been running on muffs before.
I can't find any mention of this on the Etec owners forum either and wondered if any one else had heard about it?????

Mark.
That sounds odd. Surely if that were the case, it would be stamped all over the handbook. I would've thought that the buzzer would go off for low water pressure rather than the oil injection shutting down with no warning.

Mine weeps a little oil when stored upright.
Old 01 January 2010, 13:27   #43

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
My DI dribbles out a little oil too. I've traced where it comes from, out of the bottom two air inlets. I guess when the outboard is tilted up, some residue oil just seeps out the bottom of the engine and works it's way down the inside of the leg. It doesn't happen everytime though some might be dependent on what positions the bottom two pistons are in.

As for the Not running on Muffs.....I've never heard that before. And whatever alarms it might set off, I very much doubt that the engine management system would switch off the oil injection system whatever happens. Except if it thought the engine was switched off. Are you sure these people know what they're talking about? I certainly would be contacting BRP about what I'd been told.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2010, 16:07   #44

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
Just an update.........
Looks like it is bad news for all the Etec sceptics out there (I was on the point of becoming one). I took the engine into OSM and they said it was well within spec and nothing to worry about. When I dropped the engine off I couldn't demonstrate the apparent play in the bearings that I had seen before. Normally I would just think that I was going mad after a long day on the boat and a late finish but I had 2 friends with me who also witnessed what I did.
Anyhow they checked it out and said the amount movement was normal and not to worry about it. I had them change the gearoil, check the waterpump and grease all the leg bolts and I now have it back again. Apparently thay all have a tendency to leak a little oil when tilted up as well which I had only noticed recently.
I haven't run it yet and I can't see that happening till the spring now as I am mostly away with work until then. Looks like you were right Chris when you said there was a tiny amount of movement in your flywheel too. I haven't ever seen any play in any car engine bearings but I guess those don't use the same kind of bearings.
I'm eagerly awaiting loading a few hours on it this coming season to see how it goes from here on.

Mark.
Mark,

Glad to hear they have given it a clean bill of health. However that comment about Muffs is an odd one and is certainly not the case. There is nothing that could possibly cause the engine to shut down the oiling system as this would be a disaster in the making. I hope the guy who checked your engine over and gave it the thumbs up knows what he is on about, this would worry me a little bit to be honest.

I would keep a close eye on that movement and if you are still not happy take the engine to someone else.

Check out this thread on the E-tec owners forum, The two guys who are responding to the question are both very experienced BRP trained technicians so really know their stuff and both seem to indicate that top bearing movement is normal and also that failure of the top bearing is extremely unusual.

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post?...hlight=bearing

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2010, 23:12   #45

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: E-Tec 115
It seemed odd to me too and if it were the case re the muffs then as Mollers said I would have thought it would have been stamped every where including a warning on the engine itself and probably a tattoo on the new owners hand just to make sure.

They did tell me that the top bearing on the 115 is shared with the bigger v6 engines so is rather "heavy duty" for the HP and they have never heard of a failure. Any way, I have an invoice stating that the bearing/flywheel/engine has been inspected and everything is ok which should stand me in good stead should I run into problems later on.

I'm just going to keep an eye on it and use it as usual piling on as many hours as possible before the warranty comes to an end!