Old 19 August 2013, 10:38   #1

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Carbed or fuel injection?

That's right I still haven't bought a searider

Most of the seariders with a 4 stroke on the back seem to be carbed Instead of fuel injection e.g. Matt h's sr4. Is there any reason for this, or would it be better for me to go for fuel injection engine?
Old 19 August 2013, 10:54   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
If you really care about your emmissions, on paper a fuel injected one should be better.

Also on paper fuel injection = more electrics to go wrong.

Fuel injection is a relatively new thing at the lower HP end of things, so the number of them out there in the "preloved" world is relatively small.

There is an argument that says unless you really object to the noise smell or plan to do a lot of low speed stuff, get one with a 2-stroke. Mind you, if you really cared about emmissions, you'd buy something with big white triangles......
Old 19 August 2013, 21:01   #3

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
If you really care about your emmissions, on paper a fuel injected one should be better.

Also on paper fuel injection = more electrics to go wrong.

Fuel injection is a relatively new thing at the lower HP end of things, so the number of them out there in the "preloved" world is relatively small.

There is an argument that says unless you really object to the noise smell or plan to do a lot of low speed stuff, get one with a 2-stroke. Mind you, if you really cared about emmissions, you'd buy something with big white triangles......
I want a 4 stroke because I am only young so money is an issue. With a 4 stroke I have t invest a bit more but fuel will be a lot less. Thanks for the advice, I guess they each have their pros and cons so I will go for whichever pops up for the right price
Old 20 August 2013, 13:56   #4

These days it;s an issue for a lot of people.
In that case two important things to consider -

1) how long do you spend at idle / low speed?
2) How long do you plan to use the boat for (per year kind of thing)?

4- strokes are much more efficient at low speeds. When you are blatting along at 25 knots, you just gotta burn the fuel to keep it moving!

FWIW I have a 60Hp designed in the mid 60s & updated to the early 90s version it went out of production as. I get 0.82L / NM consumption out of it on my rib.

Boat trim & set- up also make a huuuuuge difference to consumption. I did an RYA crusie o nthe Forth a copuple of months ago. Almost identical rib to mine (5m, 60Hp (newer engine too) & the driver either didn't know how to use PT or the ram had a massive leak - they were trimmed fully in & drank 25L in the time it took me to drink about 15.....

The question is do / will you use it often enough and travel far enough to make the difference in cost between a shiny 4- stroke at, say £9K or a decent 1993 2- stroke at £1.5K. £7.5K buys a lot of fuel, even at marina prices! (extreme example I know, but it illustrates my point!)
Old 20 August 2013, 16:05   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
er since when did buying a new engine just come down to fuel? what about other factors like , not smoky, under warranty, quiet, its nice to own something that is new not older than me!, the way it looks, you know its history as it has only been used by you, no mixing of oil, etc. Oh and it also will not have lost HP over the years either!

Quote:
4- strokes are much more efficient at low speeds. When you are blatting along at 25 knots, you just gotta burn the fuel to keep it moving!
er yes and with full revs and some makes even more so at cruising speed
Old 21 August 2013, 09:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
er since when did buying a new engine just come down to fuel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
so money is an issue.
Since he said that!

Lets leave boats for a moment. I do >30K Per Annum in my car. To date I have spent more in fuel than I paid (new) for the car in the first place. Someone doing 5K per anum even at half my MPG will never see that scenario, so fuel economy will be less important.

It's a bigger picture, and yes, new engines are quieter, more efficient etc etc, BUT not eveyone can shell out the £5-6K or so for a new outboard, which is what a 40/50 (big assumption there based on an SR4) will cost. It may be Henry can only afford a used 25HP (which will work fine on an SR4), and will get the "max yer hosses" brigade shooting him down...

Bottom line is the guy has a budget - I'm just saying "look at the big picture"