Old 14 February 2007, 17:22   #1

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 90HP
Best 90HP

What in this forums opionion is "the best" 90hp outboard for a rib.

marks for performance, fuel economy=range, noise.

The weights of the various makes varies

Etec 148kg
Honda 163kg
Yamaha 168kg
Suzuki 194kg

From the marketing blub the new Honda looks good, anyone any views? Why is the Suzi soo heavy?
Old 14 February 2007, 17:33   #2

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Hi Douglas, You forgot the best (IMVHO) the OPTI

Brian
Old 14 February 2007, 18:21   #3

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
I just voted with my wallet for a 90 E-TEC for my Searider. I spent many months digging around various internet engine forums. After torturing myself long enough, I picked the E-TEC. Second lightest 90 hp on the market was a major factor, as was the low maintainence requirements. Tohatsu/Nissan TLDI is a touch lighter, but not as clean (2 star vs. 3 star). Clean, efficient, can run without a battery, which Opti and Tohatsu can't. Loads of Evinrude dealers everywhere (my boat travels ALOT). Personally, I like two strokes , and I'd rather just pour some oil into a resevoir, rather than have to change it, with the related hassles of disposal, or dragging the boat to a dealer to do it (weight too), so I leaned early toward new tech 2 strokes, E-TEC & TLDI.

The new Honda is a huge step up over their previous 90, I would look more closely at that today. I wouldn't even consider a new carbed motor, so the old Honda wasn't even in the running. The 90 Opti is a porker, over the rated weight for the transom of the Searider, IIRC. That put it out of the running for me, it's simply not competitive by that measure, which was very important to me (sorry ashby!)

I ran the E-TEC long & hard every day for two weeks and I'm happy with my decision. I don't have an aweful lot of hours on it yet (40-50?), but I can't speak highly enough of it. YMMV. E-TEC was more expensive, but I do beleive I'll make it up on reduced maintainence costs in the long run. I managed to get myself enrolled in the Evinrude "Professional" program, which brought the cost in line with many others (and got me a bunch of free clothing!)

I tend to run every day for week long streches, putting on 20-30 hours quickly. I also do a lot of low speed operating, where the DI engines are most efficient, particularly the E-TEC. I'm using <50% of the fuel I did with my 25 year old carbed Merc 80. Not a fair comparison to any modern engine, but WOW! Better than I expected in that regard.

In the end, it would be hard to go wrong with any modern engine, but the E-TEC is it for me.
Old 14 February 2007, 20:04   #4

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
I love my Tohatsu motors. I’m running the 2005 90 HP TLDI I rarely go through more then 10 gallons a day when diving and about 20-25 when cruising. I’m running a pair but on one motor the fuel flow meter is telling me 3.8-4.2 gallons an hour @ approx 3,000 RPM and I’m cruising with 4 divers at about 25 with just 2 passengers about 32 mph. @ full tilt I’m turning about 5200 RPM and burning about 8.5 gallons an hour and doing 53-58 MPH. Keep in mind those numbers are the reading off of one motor but I have two pushing. As for noise I’m constantly being told they are the quietest outboard they have heard. But I have a feeling they are being compared to an older motor not a new one so I’m not sure it’s apples to apples on the noise. The oil consumption is great I go through about 30-40 gallons of fuel for every gallon of oil. That is just taking a swing at it I’ve never kept track on the oil.
Old 14 February 2007, 20:56   #5

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
imho Seagull Silver Century maybe a few horse power short but hey you can fix em dead easy
Old 14 February 2007, 22:23   #6

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Why is the Suzi soo heavy?
cos it a 115 block?
Old 15 February 2007, 19:16   #7

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Honda 90HP
Best 90HP

I left the Opti out deliberately!

I'll add it for completeness, but dont really think that they compete with the others.

The weights of the various makes varies

Tohatsu TLDi 146Kg
Etec 148kg
Honda 163kg
Yamaha 168kg
Optimax 170kg
Merc. 4 stroke 181kg
Suzuki 194kg

Doug.
Old 21 February 2007, 19:24   #8

Town: Plougastel-Daoulas
Boat name: Kristha
Make: Narwhal HD580
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp TLDI
The Suzuki is amazing, dead silent and massive torque (same block as the 115 and quite the same as the 140) but on the heavy side for a 90.
I own a Tohatsu TLDI that drinks slightly less than a dead camel. I use it for fishing mainly and it's got an interesting feature: 3 distinct idle/trolling speeds selected from the ignition key, very nice for trolling. As for noise, it's louder than a 4 stroke at idle and mid-range but quieter at WOT. Costs me little and gives me a lot. Shame it's got so few decent props to choose from, I had to get a Yamaha prop to claim my last RPMs.
Old 26 February 2007, 20:17   #9

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_forban29 View Post
Shame it's got so few decent props to choose from, I had to get a Yamaha prop to claim my last RPMs.
Michigan wheel has an assortment of props for the Tohatsu they use a standard prop and a removable hub.
http://www.michiganwheel.com/
Old 26 February 2007, 20:31   #10

Town: Plougastel-Daoulas
Boat name: Kristha
Make: Narwhal HD580
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp TLDI
Thanks for the 411, I'll have a look when dent-time will come