Old 19 October 2011, 20:19   #1

Town: oldham
Length: 5m +
Advice 2003 Evinrude 115

Hi
Been offered a 2003 Evinrude 115 motor. It is a bombadier model with the darth vader type cowl. Does anyone have any experience either good/bad of this engine. I have read a lot of bad press but not necessarily of this model

Thanks

Ps tried to post earlier so this could be my second tonight on the same subject
Old 19 October 2011, 20:25   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
The Evinrude "ficht" had a very bad rep at first but settled down on the problems from around 2002. Still a lot of people gave them a wide berth due to their initial faults. Now their very difficult to move on, even more so packaged up.

Shame as if you get a good one they are actually quite decent

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 19 October 2011, 21:05   #3

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: my 2 boys
Make: Coastline 10m 12pax
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x 300 Suzuki
Hi I have had a 150 ficht on a 21ft coast worker for about 6years its now done 680 hrs totaly trouble free, the only thing you have to make sure is that you line up the electrode on the spark plugs properly if you dont when the engine is hot it will hit the pistons and at best close the gap? at worst hole the piston!!!!. make sure you use the proper oil as well, but touch wood all ok for me pushes 55mph so all ok and not bad fuel economy either
Old 19 October 2011, 23:35   #4

Town: Fareham
I've had a 2004 150hp for about 3 years. Only trouble I had in that time was a water hose coming off in the engine bay and showering everything with Sea water when a jubilee clip broke (could have happened on any engine). It still got me home though!

Underated engine that have a bad reputation due to the early ones self terminating due to cylinder meltdowns and CPU overheating and dying. Bombardier ones badged DI are the ones to go for

Echo what skippermarky said about indexing spark plugs.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 07:03   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I had a 175 FICHT RAM on the last boat, It was one of the last OMC badged ones. I had it for 6 year & it was sound, no problems. I ran it on the FICHT oil from new, which was probably equivalent to todays XD100. Early FICHTS did have problems as already mentioned, it was those problems & the development costs of the Etec that finished OMC off.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 09:07   #6

Town: Plymouth
That's right if you get a good one they are decent. I had a 2003 115hp Ficht and it was fantastic. Started on the button and never failed us. The problem is k owing if your buying a good un or not but like others have said the later models are the ones to go for.

I'd buy another but as a trader the buyer thinks the worst on them and that normally ruins my margin

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007