Town: Ringwood
Boat name: Taylor
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 55hp Outboard
55 Yamaha Gear Help!!!

Hi

Could some one please give me some advice

What does it mean when a gear box is slow going in to gear? Is this a big problem? Is this a problem that will get worse? Can it be fixed? The gear box is on a yam 55 BE.

Thanks for the help
Old 24 June 2008, 21:37   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllWilcox View Post
Hi

Could some one please give me some advice

What does it mean when a gear box is slow going in to gear? Is this a big problem? Is this a problem that will get worse? Can it be fixed? The gear box is on a yam 55 BE.

Thanks for the help
I'd help if I could but your description is too vague to offer anything other than vague answers. What EXACTLY happens?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2008, 21:58   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Sounds like the clutch dog is worn, but as NoS says, more info please
Old 24 June 2008, 23:18   #4

Thats all i know that it is slow going in and out of gear or may be it has a bit of trouble going in an out of the gears etc i am not too sure, it works and has new bearings thats all the info i got. Can anyone think of if its a bad problem or anything like that?? or even what it is that is up??

Thanks if you can help
Old 25 June 2008, 02:34   #5
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllWilcox View Post
Thats all i know that it is slow going in and out of gear or may be it has a bit of trouble going in an out of the gears etc i am not too sure, it works and has new bearings thats all the info i got. Can anyone think of if its a bad problem or anything like that?? or even what it is that is up??

Thanks if you can help

If it's been pulled apart and has new bearings in then either he knows exactly what's wrong with it and it's had it or he's a numpty you shouldn't be buying a gearbox from.

Old 25 June 2008, 09:43   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Slow going into gear. There's slow and there's the "crunch - bang" of a knackered dog / shift crank, whether going in or drpping out as you accelerate. If the seller is not technically minded they may be talking about the feeling at the lever on the remote - "Slow" might just be his cables are well past their "lubricate by date", and would be how someone might describe the feeling of a sticky selector lever? That would also if the dog was moving slowly give you a good old rattle as it engages.......

Now, assuming no coo poo on behalf of the seller, and it does have a load of new bits, if you go to see it, disconnect the gear cable inside the engine & see if the shift lever is any easer to move. That will tell you whether it's an engine or remotes / cable problem.

Now, linking this to previous threads, would I be right in thinking you have a siezed engine with a good gearbox? In which case, if the head is good, the state of this gearbox could become irrelevant if you have a good one to do a swap of the 'boxes......It will also give you some haggling power if the box is "dubious"......
Old 25 June 2008, 17:41   #7

Yes you have guessed correctly, but there is a slight difference. I have a yamaha 55 A with a seized head and a good gear box and i have found a yamaha 55 B with a good head with no gear box. Then i found a blown yamaha 55 B with a good gear box but the guy said it was slow going in to gear or something!?. The thing is i do not know if the yam55 A gear box will fit the good yam 55 B!?? that was my question that nobody answered so if you know please let me know?? So then i found this blown yam55 B with the "slow" gear box and do not know if this could be a good move to get for the good yam55 B.

So basically this is where i am at, i do not have loads of money to get a new one as i am a student who has just finished uni, so i believe getting a yam55 back together is a good move.
So if you know of any of my questions from above please let me know. The main one which would solve a lot of hassle is whether the yam55 A gear box would fit a yam55B!? I have phoned dealers and they can't give me a straight answer, they just say it might, so i think i am probably just gonna have to take the gamble. Someone sent me like an old mariner link to parts an stuff but i could not work it out as i was hoping for the simple answer.

If you or anyone could help it would be sweet as a nut!!

Thanks
Old 26 June 2008, 08:56   #8

OK, I have a plan......Not particularly scientific, but it might give us some pointers until we can find a microfiche.

Plan A - There is a chance that there will be a part number somewhere on the outside of your gearbox. Problem is I'm nowhere near the boat & I may be thinking of my old Suz. Mine's a B, so if you can find a number, I'll try to get connected sometime at the wekeend if I can find a number on my gear casing. If they're the same then I think it's safe to assume they are interchangeable.

Plan B - Can you take some "mug shot" photos of your gearbox, ideally with a ruler or similar in the pic to scale off. Granted that won't tell us of any internal differences, but putting my manufacturing hat on, the cost of tooling up or something like that isn't going to be cheap, so there's a reasonable chance it will fit if the exterior stuff is identical.

A couple of dealers I've found more helpful than most are Yampower in Shettleston (Glasgow) 0141 778 5384 and Mitchell outboard services in Renfrew 0141 886 4222 . Might be worth giving them a call, the worst they can say is "dunno".
Old 26 June 2008, 09:32   #9
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
I've got some 55 twin part numbers but they are from the C55 range which are later (round mid 90s)

697-45311-01-4D is the C55 gearcase

697-45311-00-EK is the C55ELRR gearcase

697-45311-01-EJ is the C55ERP gearcase
Thing is, I think the case itself is the same and should be interchangeable-just the driveshaft being different for different shaft lengths.

Old 26 June 2008, 12:27   #10

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
All this swapping bits of motors about is fine if you're mechanically experienced and know what you're doing. Otherwise, you could end up spending a lot more, paying someone to put things right.
I suspect you'd be better off flogging your engine for spares and putting a bit of extra cash with it to buy a decent used motor.
Old 26 June 2008, 14:05   #11

I do not want to just sell this for parts now. I have come to far with it. cheers for the idea though.

I will send some pics of it etc... and i will also try to find if there is a nmuber on it, any ideas in where to look for it on the gear box??

Also the shaft size on the good head engine without the gear box is standard the same as mine 55 A with the good gear box.

Thanks for the help seems like we are getting somewhere at long last.

OH and when i find if they both match up i am getting a mechanic to do it.
so no chances in getting it wrong.

Thanks
Old 27 June 2008, 10:28   #12

Not going to be at the boat until tonight, but memory says there is a number on the underside of the case around the radius at the top of the skeg, but as I say, I may be thinking of my old Suz...... I probably won't be back on the net 'till sunday, if you can wait that long.

Managed a look at a manual for a 55A, the 'box looks similar, as do all the other pics of the innards of the engine, Only visual difference was the engine case, but we are talking a pic in a user manual, so I can only second guess. Watch this space.

Nos. Do you have part numbers for the 40 / 60 gearboxes? (even the 60 3 cyl Autolube) I'll bet they are spookily similar, as there are substantial lumps of the clamp bracket / tilt assist rams seem to get carried over according to the Mariner microfiche.......
Old 27 June 2008, 20:20   #13
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

Nos. Do you have part numbers for the 40 / 60 gearboxes? (even the 60 3 cyl Autolube) I'll bet they are spookily similar, as there are substantial lumps of the clamp bracket / tilt assist rams seem to get carried over according to the Mariner microfiche.......
The 40MHS casing is 6H4-45301-01-4D

Not far off apart from the model designation.

Old 27 June 2008, 22:13   #14

Guys i think i am going to view the engine on sunday morning, so if you can get any ideas if it will be ok by sat night that would be awsome!!! Sounds like it is getting closer and closer!!! I look for a part number on my gearbox and could not find one!!! damm!! I think i am just going to have to take the risk on sunday and get the engine and pray that my gear box fits!!!?? if you have any updates let me know as soon as poss!!

thanks for the help
let me know either way

el
Old 30 June 2008, 09:50   #15

More conjecture......

Elliot,

Yep, no numbers on the 'box. However, I got a copy of the "A" series Owners manual (Thanks Spartacus) which (again, using nothing but the pretty pictures) appears to have identical innards to my 55BE. The pics of "how to flush / adjust trim tab / change prop" show a remarkably simialr gearbox to mine.

Looking at the manual, the only apparent difference between the A & B seems to be the top cowling and the remotes! As I say, it's only picture based conjecture, but I'm 90% confident it will fit.

Did you go to look at it?
Old 30 June 2008, 14:30   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Elliot,

Yep, no numbers on the 'box. However, I got a copy of the "A" series Owners manual (Thanks Spartacus) which (again, using nothing but the pretty pictures) appears to have identical innards to my 55BE. The pics of "how to flush / adjust trim tab / change prop" show a remarkably simialr gearbox to mine.

Looking at the manual, the only apparent difference between the A & B seems to be the top cowling and the remotes! As I say, it's only picture based conjecture, but I'm 90% confident it will fit.

Did you go to look at it?
Hey,

Yeah i went and looked at it, and also only went and bought the bloody motor! ha!
The guy showed me it running and all the measurements i took from my gear box seemed to be all the same. Its the same standard shaft length as well, so i think it will be ok.
I have got a mechanic coming round tomorrow so hopefully it will be all fitted etc.. by the end of tomorrow. The only difference is on the 55BE as you will know has that sort of socket attachment to the cdi to the battery i guess this starts the engine electronically, the guy kept the cable from the battery to the engine socket bit, so i guess i am going to have to get a new cable because the 55 A does not have a socket type thing it just has a few wires going to different parts of the engine link to the battery. So i am not too sure what that cable is called?? also i might be able to just attach my old cables to the new engine in a different way instead of the socket thing???
Old 30 June 2008, 21:58   #17
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Eli what remotes do you have? It should be possible to buy a set of remotes that'll just plug in.

Old 01 July 2008, 14:55   #18

Ok i will list what i have, I have the control remotes i.e F N R for the new engine, from the old engine i have the same control remtoes, the fuel cable and the cables attached to the battery to the engine. On the new engine it has a socket with pins in for that cable link to the battery to start the engine but i do not have the cable that goes in to the pin plug from the batt to the engine so i guess i need to get a new one any ideas on where to get one??

cheers
Old 01 July 2008, 17:15   #19

Elliot,

I'm a bit confused as to what is missing, so read the following bearing in mind I may be off on a tangent......

Is the problem that you can't connect the remote wiring to the new engine because the loom on the boat doesn't have a big 7- pin plug on the end?

If so, don't panic - that long thin silver box with 4 screws holding the lid down (Stbd side, just behind the multi pin plug) is just a glorified waterproof terminal box! (overkill or what???), so it should be a dawdle to swap the 7-pin connector for the equivalent loom off your old engine. (Just remember to write down what colour wire went where ) That way you can leave all the installed gear on the boat.

If it's the battery cables (big chunky ones that terminate port side near the starter motor), then again, they should just unbolt and you can use the old ones of the boat.

Might be worth chucking some pics at the thread if that lot doesn't make sense - then we'll have a better idea what's going on......

Do let us know if you plan to scrap anything..... (Although I have the nagging feeling PT hadn't been invented when your old engine was made! )