Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 31 March 2012, 21:52   #1

Town: Glasgow
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
200 Etec - Stalling at low speed

I went out for the first run of the season the other day...(with fresh fuel!).

After a good warm up, then a WOT run, i slowed down to enter a speed restricted area...my engine laboured then stalled!.

It then wouldn't start, and only re-started after a couple of minutes when i had it in nuetral with quite a lot of throttle...

It ran fine after that, with no problems.

It happened again when i was at slow speed and wouldn't restart until i put it neutral with quite high revs...

...again once it started, i put the throttle back to idle, engaged gear and it ran fine.

There were no audible codes when the engine stalled, and once it restarts it seems fine.

...any ideas?, it will be going in for a service shortly, but it would good to try and understand what the problem may be.
2005 Big block 200Hp, prior to this it always started fine with just one crank of the engine.
The engine had been started on muffs about 3 weeks before, with no apparent problems...

Thanks John
Old 31 March 2012, 22:13   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
My 150 E-tec used to stall at idle when the plugs needed changing...

Would certainly check them if they are over 100 hours old. THey will normally last a maximum of 150 hours before they start to cause promlems..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarbh View Post
I went out for the first run of the season the other day...(with fresh fuel!).

After a good warm up, then a WOT run, i slowed down to enter a speed restricted area...my engine laboured then stalled!.

It then wouldn't start, and only re-started after a couple of minutes when i had it in nuetral with quite a lot of throttle...

It ran fine after that, with no problems.

It happened again when i was at slow speed and wouldn't restart until i put it neutral with quite high revs...

...again once it started, i put the throttle back to idle, engaged gear and it ran fine.

There were no audible codes when the engine stalled, and once it restarts it seems fine.

...any ideas?, it will be going in for a service shortly, but it would good to try and understand what the problem may be.
2005 Big block 200Hp, prior to this it always started fine with just one crank of the engine.
The engine had been started on muffs about 3 weeks before, with no apparent problems...

Thanks John

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2012, 19:19   #3

Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: Suzuki 140
Thanks Chris.

I'll take a look at the plugs in the next couple of days...once the forecasted snow disappears!!...
Old 02 April 2012, 22:12   #4

Town: Cowes Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
etec plugs, make sure they go in the same directions, electrodes have to point the same way
Old 03 April 2012, 00:13   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
etec plugs, make sure they go in the same directions, electrodes have to point the same way
Called "indexing", if you want more info on what Tris was talking about.

jky
Old 08 April 2012, 22:21   #6

Yes the open side of the electrode has to be within 90 degrees each side of of the injector and in an ideal world the closer you can get it the better.

Let me know if you need to know any more details as I have done a few !

Born fiddler
Old 14 April 2012, 22:14   #7

Town: Cowes Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
Is it right you can use a few plugs to get them to line up right? do you mark on the white on the plug where the open electrode is before inatlling
Old 14 April 2012, 22:19   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Make a felt tip mark on the spark plug being removed and another in line with it on the engine block. Take the plug out, copy the felt tip mark placement from the old plug onto the new plug and make sure to line it up with the mark on the block. Done!
Old 14 April 2012, 22:30   #9

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy
Make a felt tip mark on the spark plug being removed and another in line with it on the engine block. Take the plug out, copy the felt tip mark placement from the old plug onto the new plug and make sure to line it up with the mark on the block. Done!
Assuming the current plug is indexed correctly of course

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 15 April 2012, 07:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy
If you were re-using the same plugs then yes. NOT if you are fitting new ones however as you will never get the plugs to match up exactly. And you don't know where the current plugs are indexed they might be right at the limit either way!

You mark the plugs by drawing a line on the white section that matches the open side of the electrode.

Then follow these instructions.

http://www.boatsetup.com/PlgIndex.pdf

If you look on your etec you should be able to see the deflection pin just next to the spark plug this is what you are lining the plug up to.

I have indexed numerous plugs and never needed to bin any yet.

Just take them up to 15lb's with the torque wrench and if they are out side the zone then swap them to the other side and they should work.

Born fiddler
Old 15 April 2012, 09:04   #11

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
Doing this for many years by now.
On each plug there's a ring. From the old plugs I take the rings off. With a Dremel I abrade the rings to different thicknesses. Say 1/3 to 2/3 of a millimeter. I use these rings to adjust the new plugs, leaving the new rings in place naturally.
Use these abraded rings over and over again. This works out fine and you don't need to use these rings on all the plugs. Only when indexing is way off.
I use the Champion QC12PEP plugs for my Evinrude 250 DI and they are very expensive.
Therefore I order them in the USA at Sparkplug.com, 24 pieces at the time. Only costs $168 and no shipping en no Tax.
Old 17 April 2012, 09:02   #12

Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
I do hope that its your spark plugs, the symptoms sounds exactly like the injectors being fouled with water. Check your fuel filter to make sure its clean.
Old 17 April 2012, 14:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
Doing this for many years by now.
On each plug there's a ring. From the old plugs I take the rings off. With a Dremel I abrade the rings to different thicknesses. Say 1/3 to 2/3 of a millimeter. I use these rings to adjust the new plugs, leaving the new rings in place naturally.
Use these abraded rings over and over again. This works out fine and you don't need to use these rings on all the plugs. Only when indexing is way off.
I use the Champion QC12PEP plugs for my Evinrude 250 DI and they are very expensive.
Therefore I order them in the USA at Sparkplug.com, 24 pieces at the time. Only costs $168 and no shipping en no Tax.
Adding shims may void your warranty as in the E-tec service manual they specifically say don't.

Born fiddler