Old 14 August 2020, 08:51   #1

Town: Vilamoura
Boat name: Birdy
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
Water leak deck to tube

I have a valiant rib 4.9 which is leaking water between the deck and bottom of the tube. I have stripped several layers of PVC from the area which is the rear right corner of the boat. The tube is holding air.
I suspect the problem was caused by the crane that lifted it into the water, it doesn’t have lifting hooks.

Any ideas how I can solve this problem.
Old 15 August 2020, 08:11   #2

Town: torpoint
Boat name: vicky
Make: avon
Engine: outboard
air leak

I have a Avon searider 4metre and its loosing air but cant find anywhere on the top or sides of the Rib can anyone help.
Old 15 August 2020, 09:31   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcobird View Post
Any ideas how I can solve this problem.
Vilamoura - beautiful harbour.

Back your problem. Any reason you couldn't use a slip and trailer to launch? Having a RIB craned in is undoubtedly going to put pressure on the tubes, unless a sling system where it would sit in a cradle.

First thing to do is get it back out of the water. Once on shore, then fill the boat with water, we're talking a couple of inches depth. If it's on a trailer, raise the jockey so water goes to the stern. Close the drain plugs. From outside the boat you should be able to see the entry and exit. Likely to be the gasket strip that runs around the hull where it joins to the sponsons. Valiant are PVC, so use Polymarine 2-part adhesive, out of direct sunlight. Full instructions on their site.
Old 15 August 2020, 09:37   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsplaice View Post
I have a Avon searider 4metre and its loosing air but cant find anywhere on the top or sides of the Rib can anyone help.
Bit cheeky to highjack a thread when you can just start a new one, but see as you're new to the site, we'll leave it there.

Finding leaks on a RIB or SIB isn't scientific. Inflate the boat to pressure. Grab a sponge, a little Fairy Liquid (other detergents are available) and a bucket of warm water and methodically work your way around the boat tubes. Any pinhole leaks will bubble almost immediately. On the plus side, boat gets a clean too!

Hose off afterwards as its full of salt.
Old 15 August 2020, 09:52   #5

Town: Vilamoura
Boat name: Birdy
Make: Valiant
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Vilamoura - beautiful harbour.

Back your problem. Any reason you couldn't use a slip and trailer to launch? Having a RIB craned in is undoubtedly going to put pressure on the tubes, unless a sling system where it would sit in a cradle.

First thing to do is get it back out of the water. Once on shore, then fill the boat with water, we're talking a couple of inches depth. If it's on a trailer, raise the jockey so water goes to the stern. Close the drain plugs. From outside the boat you should be able to see the entry and exit. Likely to be the gasket strip that runs around the hull where it joins to the sponsons. Valiant are PVC, so use Polymarine 2-part adhesive, out of direct sunlight. Full instructions on their site.
Spot on

The boat is always craned in, unfortunately no lifting hooks so a lot of pressure on the tubes.
I use to launch off my trailer but a lot of work afterwards and usually requires new wheel bearings after several years.

Anyway to the point, as soon as it was lifted from the water you could see it leaking. The tubes have slight detached from the hull in the right back corner.
I have stripped it down but now trying to locate hypalon glue to stick the pvc back to the fibre glass the 2 part pvc glue fit the rest I already have. This country can be difficult sometimes.
Can’t have everything, beautiful beaches and fantastic weather