Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Commercial operators
Click Here to Login

Old 13 July 2011, 18:06   #1

Length: no boat
what next after adv pb comm endorsed?

hey all, i'm looking to get some thoughts on what to do next - apologies for the war and peace post. have had the adv pb commercial endorsement for 4 yrs and got approx 2000 hours on big twin engin ribs and a few on other sportsboats in my time off from the regular office job. I've also got the BML theory done, aiming to do the practical and the YM offshore fairly soon too.

I'm now tempted with quitting the 'proper office job' in search of full time boating adventure for a couple of years and maybe longer. Now, options I can think of are: superyacht crew, windfarm work or continuing with the BML and getting the high speed / passenger endorsements etc...

Not sure I'd like to be the lackey on a superyacht to be honest and unsure of the chances of promotion / how much hands on seamanship time you get compared to time with a chamois in your hand, so this has got me looking at the other 2.

Windfarm work appeals as it seems quite hands on and in a challenging environment - I'm unafraid of hard work/long hours etc. I know there's a couple of courses to do before I could do this (adv. firefighting and first aid to my knowledge). It would be great if anyone with knowledge of the industry could share their thoughts about it or drop me a PM so I can drop you a couple of more specific q's. I'm trying to get an idea about pay/conditions/ rotas etc really.

thanks!
steve
Old 21 July 2011, 07:35   #2

Town: Yarmouth IOW
Boat name: King's Rib
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: inboard diesel 140hp
Hi
I have been working in the small craft marine trade for the last 33 years.
I doubt if you know what long working hours are, try working tides 6 hrs on 6 hrs off changing by a differing amount of time every tide, for day after day untill you dont know what time of day it is let alone what day it is.
In the winter ropes frozen so hard that you can pick them up like a stick.
Having to
Mostly doing fairly boring routine work sometimes being scared shitless.

Must be great working in a nice warm office for a couple of hours mon to fri
Old 21 July 2011, 09:31   #3

Town: Yarmouth IOW
Boat name: King's Rib
Make: Halmatic
Engine: inboard diesel 140hp
Hi
Sorry about the last message. My stepson missed his school bus and wanted a lift to school so he pressed send.
I probably wouldn't have sent my message but it does make a point.
With the economy as it is you might do better having boats as a paying hobby and keeping the proper job
Anyway I'm sure you will do whatever you want to :-)
(I actualy still like working on the water, so it cant be that bad)

Good Luck!
Tim
Old 21 July 2011, 15:54   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub RIB View Post
Hi
I have been working in the small craft marine trade for the last 33 years.
I doubt if you know what long working hours are, try working tides 6 hrs on 6 hrs off changing by a differing amount of time every tide, for day after day untill you dont know what time of day it is let alone what day it is.
In the winter ropes frozen so hard that you can pick them up like a stick.
Having to
Mostly doing fairly boring routine work sometimes being scared shitless.

Must be great working in a nice warm office for a couple of hours mon to fri
It's all character building stuff! you can get some terrible paper cuts
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 19:20   #5

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
only 6hours on and then 6 off. Pah when I was a lad....................(no that is hard work)
But to the point we work 12 hours at least shifts every day on a nice boat but if that boat needs something then ya get down and do it until its fixed.
24/7 is just not enough for our firm.. but then again I had a proper nice soft job once were ya just sorta turned up and at the end of the month they paid me -and then gave me money and a nice pension to go away with early retirement.
They pay me more for this one and to be honest I am so glad I was able to get out of the rut and do it, love every minute..... well almost every minute -rough sea, ice on the deck, bl>>>y wheelhouse heater that works so well in summer ya could boil the kettle on it but doesnt do cold weather, clients that think because its calm in their office it must be fine out at sea - yeah ok almost every minute!
Loadsa work out there for qualified skippers who can prove themselves but its a cruel world and jobs can finish in a flash.
Me?- I'm back at base for a few of days so I have courses to run at sea as a bit of relaxation