Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Safety Boat SIB /Coding ??

Can anyone help me out with this query please...am drawing a blank /getting confused elsewhere

Have read this thread http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29963 and have searched the forum, but (possible I'm not looking in the right places) can't get an answer...

Scenario: Safety boat /cover boat required for construction type works in an estuarine river...

Some of the area of operation may be categorised waters (for which I can use the RIB) the rest is not and is at times very shallow /not RIB accesible.

Q1) If I wanted to use a SIB for the cover in this area what does it require to be legal? Is there coding of sorts required? Would obviously insure it as a work boat etc.

MCA in Milford couldn't help and pointed me towards the guidance on their website perhaps just unlucky with who i spoke to....

Q2) Now the final 'twist' if i did get the SIB recognised as a safety craft (if thats requiered etc etc) could I then use it in categorised waters too (say for close quarter working in sea caves etc?)

have seen people using the same SIBs for safety work elsewhere....just don't know how they get around it /perhaps they're not working legally?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks, Dan.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2010, 15:41   #2

Town: Morecambe
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
Maybe you need to look at the alternatives such as a small coded Hovercraft, as it happens I know a man : )
Old 25 June 2010, 19:54   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Worth View Post
Can anyone help me out with this query please...am drawing a blank /getting confused elsewhere

Have read this thread http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29963 and have searched the forum, but (possible I'm not looking in the right places) can't get an answer...
This thread essentially raises the same issue http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33087

Scenario: Safety boat /cover boat required for construction type works in an estuarine river...
Quote:
Some of the area of operation may be categorised waters (for which I can use the RIB) the rest is not and is at times very shallow /not RIB accesible.
do you mean categorised waters? IIRC you only need MCA coding to opperate outside categorised waters? local authority coding can be used in categorised waters - but my understanding is it is only required if you are carrying (fare paying) passengenrs - so a work boat/safety boat would not apply?

Quote:
Q1) If I wanted to use a SIB for the cover in this area what does it require to be legal? Is there coding of sorts required? Would obviously insure it as a work boat etc.
there appears to be a voluntary code for "inland waters" and this may apply. I guess you also need to work out if there are any local bylaws / regs - e.g. if the river is "licensed" by the EA etc?
[/quote]
MCA in Milford couldn't help and pointed me towards the guidance on their website perhaps just unlucky with who i spoke to....[/quote] I think biffer has recommended a contact at MCA HQ somewhere on here who seems to talk sense(?) on coding.
Quote:
Q2) Now the final 'twist' if i did get the SIB recognised as a safety craft (if thats requiered etc etc) could I then use it in categorised waters too (say for close quarter working in sea caves etc?)
see earlier comment on categorised waters. You could code it but as Biffer comments in the other thread theres a lot of kit required in not a lot of space. As I understand it Cat 6 coding (which would be the obvious choice for a small boat) wouldn't let you use it anywhere in the country though: you can't change the departure point each time you launch?

I'd have thought you want the answer in writing from the MCA though.
Old 26 June 2010, 03:52   #4

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Mark Towl in the MCA, southampton, i've got a sib in at the moment from winchester county council and it's just a boat and an engine and they use this for what Dan is looking at, i do mean just a boat and engine, doesn't appear to be any other kit with it
Old 26 June 2010, 07:19   #5

RIBase
Cheers Polwart.....didn't find that linky when I searched

Biff...really helpful....will give him a call...

Let you know how I get on....

Thanks again!

Dan

Old 26 June 2010, 07:21   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell View Post
Maybe you need to look at the alternatives such as a small coded Hovercraft, as it happens I know a man : )
Would love a shot in one The RNLI ones were out and about last time I was at college in Poole....looks like fun.

Dan

Old 06 July 2010, 14:18   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Mark Towl in the MCA, southampton, i've got a sib in at the moment from winchester county council and it's just a boat and an engine and they use this for what Dan is looking at, i do mean just a boat and engine, doesn't appear to be any other kit with it
Just to say that Mark Towl has been really helpful....a mine of info....thanks for the recomendation

It falls under a cat 9A apparently and Mark is forwarding on the relevent guidance as Biff says, seems to be relatively little in the way of safety equipment required....

Using the D commercially at sea, however, is looking to be more of a problem (it's not codeable as such) but Mark spoke about 'coding the operation' which seems to mean we would have to have both boats working together (RIB and SIB)....he's having a look into it and getting back to me with his thoughts....

Thanks!!