Old 13 April 2011, 09:42   #1

Town: Lyme Regis
Make: Cougar
Length: 6m +
MCA Coding

I am wanting to set up a charter business in Dorset/devon. If i am MCA coded, and take transactions on the net are there any restrictions as to where i can pick people up from and can I lauch from any harbour? Other than the appropriate boating licences and insurance etc is there any other liscence required.
Old 13 April 2011, 10:12   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
There are many different levels of coding, some restricting you to an inland area some within a distance of a home harbour and yet more requiring you to stay within a certain distance of land.

I recommend talking to a local RYA trainer as they will be able to advise on the level of training and therefore certification suitable. They will most likely also know of other businesses in the area.

Being able to take a booking online and then pick up charter passengers from their location of choice will require a high level operation.
Old 13 April 2011, 14:49   #3

You may want to look at the following web page, which should give you all the information you need:

http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestrainin...oucanwork.aspx
Old 13 April 2011, 19:11   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I am wanting to set up a charter business in Dorset/devon. If i am MCA coded, and take transactions on the net are there any restrictions as to where i can pick people up from and can I lauch from any harbour? Other than the appropriate boating licences and insurance etc is there any other liscence required.
The "bible" we have to follow for MCA coding/charter work is presently found here
http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mgn_280-2.pdf
A long document with some areas which are not needed on RIBs. Once your boats are inspected and licensed by an authority I would expect probably a CAT 4 or Maybe Cat 3 for some Ribs. The main difference is CAT 4 is Up to 20 miles from a safe haven, in favourable weather and in daylight and CAT 3 Up to 20 miles from a safe haven

Other area cover can be achieved dependant on your proposed operations and also the type/size of RIB/boat. After achieving the correct coding and with qualified helms you should be able to work/launch from any safe haven under your licence. You may be charged additional launch/river/harbour fees. The equipment and coding takes a lot of understanding and it may help to find someone who understands them to help on route(surveyor who will then do the assessment)

PS the code is presently under review
Old 13 April 2011, 21:52   #5

Town: Weymouth
Coding is the easy part. What is more difficult is local opposition from established operators who think they should be the only ones allowed to operate.
Old 13 April 2011, 22:20   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
In answer to your question, Yes you can pick up from where you like if you are coded to Cat 4 (or higher).

If you went for Cat 5 or 6 then you can only operate from your NDP (Nominated Departure Point).

Cat 4 will give you up to 20NM from a safe haven. A higher level of code is not really realistic for RIBs unless they have an enclosure.

PS. I know there are some operators who have a restricted Cat 3 code cert but for the most part cat 4 is the answer.
Old 24 October 2011, 15:37   #7

Town: Lyme Regis
Make: Cougar
Length: 6m +
Thank you to all of you for your answers, a great help. Sorry not to get back sooner.