Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17 April 2013, 05:43   #1
Country: UK - England
Town: W.Sussex/Plymouth
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Buying second hand not through a dealer

Hi all,

Just wondered if you have any tips at all when buying second hand ribs/pwcs - does anyone know of a way of checking HIN numbers on a craft if not buying through a dealer where you can check hull year and that it is not stolen etc? I know it's not very commercial orientated but wondered if any of you have experience of this at all or heard of anything!

Thanks all in advance!

MCA Advanced Commercial Powerboat - Powerboat Instructor - PWC Instructor
snoopay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 05:48   #2
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,159
I'd say even buying through a dealer or broker you still need to check things out yourself.

Have a read through

thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 15:09   #3
Tim M's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,819
Googling the HIN or serial sometimes brings things up if they've been reported stolen. We tracked one of my stolen engines down to Poland by someone who had done this after viewing the engine out there with the view of buying it. If it seems dodgy, it probably is! I also do things like Google the vendors name, phone numbers, email address, address etc and see what comes up.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 15:22   #4
RIBnet admin team
Nos4r2's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,929

If the seller has a paper trail it's a good indication that something isn't nicked. Useful if you need to prove VAT paid as well.
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2013, 03:04   #5
Trade member
Dry Run's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 792
If you want to be as safe as possible I would suggest you get: -
An MCA bill of sale (transferring ownership to you)
A proper contract (explaining what is included in the sale (warps, fenders, nav equip, etc)
Something that shows vat has been paid at some point in the past
An engineers report on the engine (normally less than £50 to plug it in to a computer and download)
Proof of services, repairs, etc
Checking the HIN and engine number (with the engine manufacturer) is also a good idea.
Good Luck!
You get what you settle for!
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.