Old 08 October 2018, 13:17   #1

Town: Staffs
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Youtube Tutorials

Hi Guys and Girls

I am making Simple tutorials on Youtube, It would be great if you came along and said hi.

www.youtube.com/gregmarthabutler.

I am looking at growing my channel as much as possible, I would love to maybe include people from the forum to join in on my videos, Tutorial or V Log.

If Businesses would like to sponsor a video or supply products to review, please get in touch, I am currently assembling a team to give you the best content possible.

Let me know what you think in the comments below and if you like the content, join in subscribe and in my own words, LET'S DO THIS.

Thank you for the support.
Old 08 October 2018, 14:02   #2

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha MF View Post
Hi Guys and Girls

I am making Simple tutorials on Youtube, It would be great if you came along and said hi.

www.youtube.com/gregmarthabutler.

I am looking at growing my channel as much as possible, I would love to maybe include people from the forum to join in on my videos, Tutorial or V Log.

If Businesses would like to sponsor a video or supply products to review, please get in touch, I am currently assembling a team to give you the best content possible.

Let me know what you think in the comments below and if you like the content, join in subscribe and in my own words, LET'S DO THIS.

Thank you for the support.
Love the jet ski footage Tranquillity in Wales. I notice it was filmed in November 2018? Any chance of giving me this weeks lottery numbers?

Old 08 October 2018, 14:24   #3

I had not noticed that ha, Ye I need he lotto numbers too.
Old 08 October 2018, 14:26   #4

Changed thanks for the heads up
Old 08 October 2018, 14:44   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Had a quick look and didn't see anything on inflatable boats. Watched one on launching JetSki where you ended up getting in the water to do it, here people drive them on and off without getting wet ( as seen in other tutorials). Just being honest as you ask for comments, for me an easy launch should be easy. I was also very surprised to not see a rope off the jetski, I know you mentioned you could have one but for me I would of thought you should have one. Launching on a flat calm windlass day with no current or chop isnt the same as when all those things are against you. Also hopping back in the car with salty wet shorts isn't the greatest for the seats. Just being honest.
Old 08 October 2018, 15:29   #6

Thank you for that, I appreciate what you are saying.

Regarding Ribs I will be doing a lot more with them very soon, as launching and what not is very different from a ski.
Regarding getting wet on a beach launch on a shallow beach is pretty much impossible without putting your car in salt water and that in my opinion does a lot more damage to the car, however these are options people use on a daily basis it is unto you. My opinion with launching ribs is use a slip when possible, keeping the car out of the water and yes agree driving on and off the trailer.
Old 08 October 2018, 16:18   #7

launching 3 different ribs with varying degrees of success at start-

recovery at low ish tide, ribcraft is a bit of a bugger to recover as you can't reach the bow eye from inside. skip to 6:50 for couple of different methods depending on how many are there etc.

may make a launching and recovery video next time as the ribs i'm with are all different to launch/recover, won't work for every rib/slip combo ofcourse, too many factors impact it.
Old 08 October 2018, 16:30   #8

Love that set up at Clyde it looks great.

And the music on the second video is a big win great choice.

Keep it going
Old 08 October 2018, 16:49   #9

Length: 7m +
great music will dig out my dire straits album right now.
Old 08 October 2018, 18:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha MF View Post
Love that set up at Clyde it looks great.

And the music on the second video is a big win great choice.

Keep it going
There is quite a few videos on my channel, just put new one up last night.

https://youtu.be/Wmlap9ffsf8

The setup around the clyde is pretty good, plenty of petrol at marinas, plenty of places to get ashore without a dinghy for lunch. Largs and loch lomond probably have best slips I've used and reasonable prices, can't complain really.
Old 09 October 2018, 14:31   #11

Subscribed ����
Old 09 October 2018, 22:57   #12

These are commonly used by most boaties here.

Old 09 October 2018, 23:00   #13

For shallow beach launches some use these ( plenty of different varieties of this on the market ).

Old 09 October 2018, 23:05   #14

This is something I've fitted to every trailer boat I've owned over the last 10 years, even all my kids can confidently drive our boats onto the trailer using this. By the way my kids are licensed and qualified to drive watercraft, licensing is compulsory over here on vessels capable of exceeding 10 knots.

Old 09 October 2018, 23:09   #15

If any of these products I've posted aren't available your side of the pond, perhaps it may be worth contacting them in the hope of getting some kind of deal to import and promote them if you are keen on that sort of thing. I can highly recommend these as they are commonly used over here.
Old 09 October 2018, 23:31   #16

since this is a youtube tutorial thread i have learned something new today after a bit of digging, YT has been turning down the bandwidth on 1080p or lower videos over last while to give 4k (and upcoming 8K) more juice.

i couldn't figure out why my new gopro looked crap, it was clearly compression for those familiar with it. what is strange is a 100mbps gopro was way worse than my gitup 2 (35mbps) and gitup 3 (50mbps) cameras (great cams btw, the gopro is NOT worth the extra money IMO, especially for YT) and YT have lowered the bitrate on 1080p videos to 12mbps if 60fps, it is only 8mbps if 30fps. these are no where near enough for fast moving boats with a lot of colours, i.e ribs moving with white wakes and or up close etc. the reason the gopro is worse is because YT is having to knock a huge % off versus the gitup to get down to the 12mbps.

YT also use 2 different codecs on their videos you are watching(AVC and VP09), the VP09 is the one you want to try and get (right click on a video, stats for nerds and you will see the codec being used by YT, this is on their side and not yours, if it isn't VP09 then whoever uploaded the video missed a trick, you can't fix it. if you are a massive youtuber then you get vp09 automatically but other mere mortals can only get it with 2.7k plus uploads....unless you do the below.

i have found a way to force VP09 onto 1080 videos which in turn ups the bitrate to 35mbps which is just about enough for fast moving data (i.e RIBs up close), you will need to either record in 2.7k or 4k and upload accordingly. you can also upscale to 2.7/4k and YT will change to VP09 on the 1080 videos which is worth doing, you will need a decent setup to do this but the difference is massive to the quality (it is no where near raw data ofcourse out the camera).

You will also need to match the editing software of your choice for best results but need to Google that as every camera and software may differ.

note the lack of artifacts in the first video using VP09 versus AVC on the second one while both are on 1080 60fps

Old 09 October 2018, 23:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
This is something I've fitted to every trailer boat I've owned over the last 10 years, even all my kids can confidently drive our boats onto the trailer using this. By the way my kids are licensed and qualified to drive watercraft, licensing is compulsory over here on vessels capable of exceeding 10 knots.

i fail to see the benefit in that, you just took a 3-4ft wide target and made it 1ft.
Old 10 October 2018, 08:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
i fail to see the benefit in that, you just took a 3-4ft wide target and made it 1ft.
As mentioned my kids find driving on no problem. A 3-4ft wide opening ? Is that with no roller centres or metal work to hit, do you drive on in the conditions mentioned ? It doesn't matter how windy, choppy or strong the current I've not missed centering my boat into that v, once the front is held there you simply turn the outboard to line the boat up and drive on. I must admit I couldn't see it doing that much to help but now I wouldn't be without them, they aline the boat making even my kids look like pro boat handlers at the ramp.

Old 10 October 2018, 09:42   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
As mentioned my kids find driving on no problem. A 3-4ft wide opening ? Is that with no roller centres or metal work to hit, do you drive on in the conditions mentioned ? It doesn't matter how windy, choppy or strong the current I've not missed centering my boat into that v, once the front is held there you simply turn the outboard to line the boat up and drive on. I must admit I couldn't see it doing that much to help but now I wouldn't be without them, they aline the boat making even my kids look like pro boat handlers at the ramp.

I can see how it helps on a bunk trailer, but a properly set up roller type trailer should do that anyway. I put the nose into the rollers which grab the bow & line it up with the trailer. Put the engine straight ahead & leave it ticking over in gear, the boat is now fixed at both ends. If solo I can jump out, attach the winch & pull the boat up, when the winch has got the boat, I kill the engine & complete the recovery.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 10:07   #20

Quote:

If the boat can hit any (normal) part of a swingbeam or roller trailer it maybe isn't setup correctly in first place? I can see the benefits on maybe a bunk trailer but not on a roller/swingbeam, I would still rather have carpet and 3ft opening to hit though personally than that guide on any trailer.

Yes I drive on in just about any conditions we typically see, kip marina is probably the most open i use normally and I would think that would make my recovery worse as you just cut down where you can aim. Once the bow hits and engine on tickover straight ahead you are not getting it out of the V of the rollers easily, it practically lines itself up so long as the V Is somewhere between the rollers.

I would think if you never missed that thing you never needed it in first place?

I used to think I always needed my docking poles, in reality my last boat I was recovering too deep sometimes I think.