Old 30 March 2006, 15:43   #1

Length: no boat
Volkswagon Towing Vehicle

Hi folks I am thinking about trading in my Discovery for a new vehicle I need 4x4 and also have to be able to tow the rib I have been looking around and I am not particularly found of the new disco so my thoughts have been edging towards the Volkswagon Tourag does anyone run one of these and can anyone give advice on how they tow any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks Milan.
Old 30 March 2006, 15:52   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I drove one a few times - mate has had it for about a year or so. It is a V10 model. Never towed with it though.

It is stunning and really quick but thirsty. Forget it offroad - it is a jacked up estate car.

To be honest I would much rather the new Range Rover Sport - probably it's main competitor.

The cheaper models are more in the Discovery price range. Test drive BOTH before you make up your mind. The new Discovery is stunning to drive but the back end looks ugly as sin.......
Old 30 March 2006, 18:05   #3

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
I was speccing one up today just because I noticed the "altitude" package on an advert somewhere. I think they're great looking cars, the interiors are in a different league to the Discovery3 and on road performance accross most of the range is far better than the 3 too, as are residual values apparantly. But...I would be surprised if off road it came anywhere near to the 3 and for me the biggest drawback is the pricing - for a decent spec 2.5 diesel with a few toys you start to move into the same price bracket as a two year old Range Rover TD6 Vogue which is (IMHO) an far better package in every area.
Old 30 March 2006, 20:16   #4

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Toureg

I looked at one & test drove the 2.5 diesel & the 3.0V6 diesel. The V6 is in a different league & silky smooth. Interiors are great. But by the time you spec the thing up the prices are hitting £45,000+. Not sure I would want to put that amount of money on a slipway. I've gone the other way to you & I'm looking to change the 2nd car for a high spec Disco 2 rather than try to buy a big family 4x4 to do both jobs. Toureg is a great machine though. Would make good 2nd hand buy - once the initial depreciation has dropped the price.
Old 31 March 2006, 06:51   #5

[QUOTE=donutsina911] I was speccing one up today just because I noticed the "altitude" package on an advert somewhere. I think they're great looking cars, the interiors are in a different league to the Discovery3 and on road performance accross most of the range is far better than the 3 too, as are residual values apparantly. But...I would be surprised if off road it came anywhere near to the 3 and for me the biggest drawback is the pricing - for a decent spec 2.5 diesel with a few toys you start to move into the same price bracket as a two year old Range Rover TD6 Vogue which is (IMHO) an far better package in every area. [/QUOTE

I have to say I think you have a point had not considered them before but the Landrover dealer is ten yards across the road from the Volkswagon dealership when I spotted the Touareg the one I was looking at was the 2.5 diesel sport has one or two bells and whistles enough to keep me happy but at £31000 there is a lot on the market to look at I don’t need 4x4 for of roading or green laning just for slipways what interests me more is the towing ability and looking at the speck for the engine torque its not all that good so may have to consider something else not all that struck on buying second hand but makes good financial sense
Old 31 March 2006, 06:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pike
I looked at one & test drove the 2.5 diesel & the 3.0V6 diesel. The V6 is in a different league & silky smooth. Interiors are great. But by the time you spec the thing up the prices are hitting £45,000+. Not sure I would want to put that amount of money on a slipway. I've gone the other way to you & I'm looking to change the 2nd car for a high spec Disco 2 rather than try to buy a big family 4x4 to do both jobs. Toureg is a great machine though. Would make good 2nd hand buy - once the initial depreciation has dropped the price.
Interesting to hear that Jeff I was considering the 2.5 so glad I didn’t part with hard cash I don’t know what the price difference is between the 2.5 and the 3.0 V6 but I will find out glad you brought that to my attention
Old 31 March 2006, 11:13   #7

[QUOTE=Milan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
I was speccing one up today just because I noticed the "altitude" package on an advert somewhere. I think they're great looking cars, the interiors are in a different league to the Discovery3 and on road performance accross most of the range is far better than the 3 too, as are residual values apparantly. But...I would be surprised if off road it came anywhere near to the 3 and for me the biggest drawback is the pricing - for a decent spec 2.5 diesel with a few toys you start to move into the same price bracket as a two year old Range Rover TD6 Vogue which is (IMHO) an far better package in every area. [/QUOTE

I have to say I think you have a point had not considered them before but the Landrover dealer is ten yards across the road from the Volkswagon dealership when I spotted the Touareg the one I was looking at was the 2.5 diesel sport has one or two bells and whistles enough to keep me happy but at £31000 there is a lot on the market to look at I don’t need 4x4 for of roading or green laning just for slipways what interests me more is the towing ability and looking at the speck for the engine torque its not all that good so may have to consider something else not all that struck on buying second hand but makes good financial sense

The only reason to buy new is if you are leasing a car - or getting some deal like an import etc. Otherwise always buy s/h - let some other mug pay for the depreceation!!!
Old 31 March 2006, 11:29   #8

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
The only reason to buy new is if you are leasing a car - or getting some deal like an import etc. Otherwise always buy s/h - let some other mug pay for the depreceation!!!
When is it your bringing your secondhand RIB home codders.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2006, 11:41   #9

[QUOTE=codprawn]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan

Unfortunately for the past ten years or so I have been that mug but there’s nothing like the feeling you get when you buy new Iam not a snob about it it’s just the way it is.
But having said that i think possible in this case I may have to
Old 31 March 2006, 11:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
You know what i'am saying codders
Old 31 March 2006, 13:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
I did say "some deal like an import"!!!
Old 31 March 2006, 13:44   #12

[QUOTE=Milan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn

Unfortunately for the past ten years or so I have been that mug but there’s nothing like the feeling you get when you buy new Iam not a snob about it it’s just the way it is.
But having said that i think possible in this case I may have to
The feeling of having a spare £10k in your pocket is even better!!!

Obviously some cars don't LOSE money like others - for example a Morgan or a car with a long waiting list.

My mate has just put his Ferrair 360 spyder up for sale - he thought by keeping the mileage down and keeping it mint he wouldn't lose if he changed it early for a F430 - now he has realised he will still be £15k out of pocket - maybe not bad depreceation for a supercar but even so!!!

Things like the Audi A8 and the BMW 7 series can lose a frightening £20k in the first year!!!
Old 31 March 2006, 15:23   #13

[QUOTE=codprawn]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan

The feeling of having a spare £10k in your pocket is even better!!!

Obviously some cars don't LOSE money like others - for example a Morgan or a car with a long waiting list.

My mate has just put his Ferrair 360 spyder up for sale - he thought by keeping the mileage down and keeping it mint he wouldn't lose if he changed it early for a F430 - now he has realised he will still be £15k out of pocket - maybe not bad depreceation for a supercar but even so!!!

Things like the Audi A8 and the BMW 7 series can lose a frightening £20k in the first year!!!
High end users they can always afford the loss
Old 04 April 2006, 07:44   #14

Well folks judging by the response on this subject this vehicle certainly don’t seem popular amongst the ribbing community on this forum Iam glad I asked the question and now scraping the idea of one as a towing vehicle.