Old 30 January 2007, 21:25   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Vista nightmare

The more I look into Vista the worse it seems - anyone got any experience of it? It seems they have put Digital Rights Management above all else.

Vista does all sorts of naughty things like turning off SPDIF and downgrading outputs etc if it doesn't get the signatures it wants. Not so bad with pirate stuff that has had the DRM ripped out but for someone using it legit they will have real fun and games!!!
Old 30 January 2007, 21:35   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

Vista does all sorts of naughty things like turning off SPDIF and downgrading outputs etc if it doesn't get the signatures it wants. Not so bad with pirate stuff that has had the DRM ripped out but for someone using it legit they will have real fun and games!!!

Err..... whoosh, breeze above the head time.

I haven't a clue what any of this means, but I get the idea you don't like it.

Nasher.
Old 30 January 2007, 21:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Err..... whoosh, breeze above the head time.

I haven't a clue what any of this means, but I get the idea you don't like it.

Nasher.
You really don't want to know either - stick to fiddling with outboards!!!
Old 30 January 2007, 21:46   #4

Town: Portsmouth Harbour
Length: no boat
I think its going to be reasonably good, have had a fairly good play with it with the beta versions and a full version, it seems to do an awful lot more than XP and better. I see no immediate rush to purchase it as XP still does this job pefectly. Looking forward to getting it installed on a new PC and giving it a good testing.

Davies Coaching
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2007, 23:26   #5
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
The more I look into Vista the worse it seems - anyone got any experience of it? It seems they have put Digital Rights Management above all else.

XP had similar stuff. It would turn off SPDIF and various video outputs if DRM requested.

I suspect there will be some large problems with HD content in general, not just on Vista. HDCP is pretty much broken at the moment, not to mention its been cracked on a small scale already and there are other proof of concept cracks around.

As for Vista - I think its pretty good - been running it since November when it was RTM.

Driver support is rubbish at the moment though. NVIDIA have yet to release a stable graphics driver even though Vista was officially launched today. Same goes for the likes of Creative etc.
Old 31 January 2007, 18:55   #6

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Did Vista come with Direct X 10.

Thats the bit I'm waiting for.
Old 31 January 2007, 20:13   #7

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Just received this from Orange.

"Hello,

We just wanted to let you know that Microsoft has launched a new operating system called Windows Vista. If you’re not planning on using Windows Vista, please don’t worry, your broadband service won’t be affected.

If however you are planning on buying a new PC, or upgrading your existing one to Windows Vista, we need to make you aware that it may have an impact on your Orange broadband service, as your USB modem might not work.

Don’t worry, we’re working towards fully supporting Windows Vista and in the meantime, we can still help you get connected. Just visit our online help section www.orange.co.uk/vista for all the information you’ll need.

Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Thanks

Customer Support"

Not planning any upgrades yet, but looks like its causing issues.

Nasher.
Old 31 January 2007, 21:29   #8
DJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Did Vista come with Direct X 10.

Thats the bit I'm waiting for.
Yes. DX10 is integrated into Vista and won't be available on XP. All that's needed now are some graphics drivers that work and of course some DX10 games.
Old 31 January 2007, 21:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
Yes. DX10 is integrated into Vista and won't be available on XP. All that's needed now are some graphics drivers that work and of course some DX10 games.
So I have to buy vista to get Direct X 10. I hope this isn't true. I can't see how the gaming industry will let Microsoft get away with that one.
Old 31 January 2007, 21:52   #10
DJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
So I have to buy vista to get Direct X 10. I hope this isn't true. I can't see how the gaming industry will let Microsoft get away with that one.
Yes DX10 will only be available on Vista. The whole driver/graphics/DX system in Vista has been changed and a port to XP won't be possible.

"Microsoft Corp., the world's largest maker of software, will not release next-generation graphics application programming interface (API) called DirectX 10 for the currently shipping Windows XP operating system (OS), instead, the company will keep the new API strictly for the forthcoming Windows Vista OS, despite earlier assumptions about DirectX 10 for the XP"
Old 31 January 2007, 21:54   #11

Quote:
Yes DX10 will only be available on Vista. The whole driver/graphics/DX system in Vista has been changed and a port to XP won't be possible.
Its gonna be a money spinner then.

Might be time for OpenGL to get version 3.0 out.
Old 31 January 2007, 22:02   #12
DJL

I don't really see it as being a problem. All the hardcore game enthusiasts, of which there appear to be a lot, won't mind buying Vista. If they'll spend £1000+ on two GeForce 8800 series graphics cards on launch day, a couple of hundred for Vista isn't going to stop them.

All the new games will be written for, and probably require Vista anyway. It was the same with the move from Windows 98/ME, all the new games required XP.
Old 01 February 2007, 00:21   #13

We WILL object to Vista - not paying for it but using it. To many barriers in the way. Some people are saying it's going to be Microsoft's death rattle......
Old 01 February 2007, 00:40   #14

XP is good as a computer interface. I'm running XP 64 Pro and very happy now the drivers are available. I haven't had to reformat since I built this PC 18 months ago and its very, very rare the PC crashes.

But I would like Direct X 10 and I would like a NVidea 8 series Graphics card. Oh and the games to go along with it.

I'm not planning on doing anything major with this or a new PC until next winter. Hopefully by then things will have settled down.

Having said that I have seen Windows Vista advertised for under 60 quid which isn't bad, if your building a new system.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...SearchMode=any

I've got an upgrade voucher for one of my PC's. Time to dig it out now I think.
Old 01 February 2007, 10:09   #15

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
I have been very very dissapointed with Vista- switched back to xp pro. The
biggest problem for me was ex7- although I was running the beta edition.
Anyway - its always best to wait 6 months before plunging into anything "new" from ms. - and this from a fervent MS supporter.

I have been so deceived - that I am now planning to go to a Macbook with os9. It just seems that you dont have the problems you get with MS.

jonathan
Old 01 February 2007, 17:34   #16
DJL

Quote:
We WILL object to Vista - not paying for it but using it. To many barriers in the way. Some people are saying it's going to be Microsoft's death rattle......

With all due respect Codprawn - have you actually used Vista?

All the Microsoft bashing is getting really boring. People like picking at things just because its Microsoft. There was a BBC news story today about voice recognition being a security threat - people could record mp3s to format your hard drive and delete documents - what a load of b*****ks, technically possible...but, ffs.

What are these barriers you're taking about?

Just thought of my main gripe with Vista: They have removed native support for Tape Backup Drives - no more NTBackup. So anyone with a tape drive will have to buy 3rd party software. It will be the same with Windows Server Longhorn too - which will be a pain for small businesses.
Old 01 February 2007, 17:41   #17
DJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa View Post
biggest problem for me was ex7
ex7? Exchange 2007?
Old 01 February 2007, 18:03   #18

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Quote:
ex7? Exchange 2007?
no internet explorer 7. just a load of ****

jonathan
Old 01 February 2007, 18:20   #19

Quote:
With all due respect Codprawn - have you actually used Vista?

All the Microsoft bashing is getting really boring. People like picking at things just because its Microsoft. There was a BBC news story today about voice recognition being a security threat - people could record mp3s to format your hard drive and delete documents - what a load of b*****ks, technically possible...but, ffs.
What are these barriers you're taking about?
Just thought of my main gripe with Vista: They have removed native support for Tape Backup Drives - no more NTBackup. So anyone with a tape drive will have to buy 3rd party software. It will be the same with Windows Server Longhorn too - which will be a pain for small businesses.

Microsoft bashing getting boring? For you maybe but I think it only fair for people to know the sorts of problems they will face - I didn't realise I was the only person to bash Microsoft.....

No I have not used it yet but that doesn't mean I am not familiar with it's structure and the problems it contains. I COULD install it tonight but have no desire to do so - none whatsoever!!!
Old 01 February 2007, 18:36   #20
DJL

Quote:
Microsoft bashing getting boring? For you maybe but I think it only fair for people to know the sorts of problems they will face - I didn't realise I was the only person to bash Microsoft.....

No I have not used it yet but that doesn't mean I am not familiar with it's structure and the problems it contains. I COULD install it tonight but have no desire to do so - none whatsoever!!!

Come on then enlighten us, what problems will people with Vista face? So far you haven't really pointed out anything, even though you started the thread.