Old 03 April 2021, 21:10   #21

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
The only thing you need to be careful of is that to tow a trailer commercially in the UK you should be using a tachograph and have an operators license.

But hopefully borderforce don’t know those rules
Only for hire or reward if it’s your own trailer and equipment like you are a fisherman and it’s your fishing boat then you don’t.....
Old 03 April 2021, 21:31   #22

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Only for hire or reward if it’s your own trailer and equipment like you are a fisherman and it’s your fishing boat then you don’t.....
But then you won’t be able to get in to the UK on a coronavirus exemption

The exemption is for a commercial goods vehicle driver. I think ‘goods’ is the key word and screws you on the tacho front
Old 03 April 2021, 21:49   #23

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
I get your excited to get new boat but think you need to wait or get it shipped. Assume your travelling through Holland? Have you seen the current covid stats there? You’ll have to dodge the rules there, then dodge the rules here, then on the way back again. Is it worth the risk to you and others?
Old 03 April 2021, 22:14   #24

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Dovercourt is your nearest slipway to harwich port ,about 2km , if you get XS to bring to dovercourt where the slipway /ramp could be used to swap the boat onto your trailer , this slip is only 2 km from harwich international port
https://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/leisur...aunching-ramps
Old 04 April 2021, 05:37   #25

Town: Borlange
Boat name: Optima Vita
Make: XS
Engine: Suzuki 2 x 250
MMSI: 265019760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
I get your excited to get new boat but think you need to wait or get it shipped. Assume your travelling through Holland? Have you seen the current covid stats there? You’ll have to dodge the rules there, then dodge the rules here, then on the way back again. Is it worth the risk to you and others?

With a negative test in my pocket and seeing noone and touching nothing, the risk for others should be at a minimun.
Old 04 April 2021, 05:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Dovercourt is your nearest slipway to harwich port ,about 2km , if you get XS to bring to dovercourt where the slipway /ramp could be used to swap the boat onto your trailer , this slip is only 2 km from harwich international port
https://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/leisur...aunching-ramps

Thanks a lot, tips like that might be very helpful.
Old 04 April 2021, 10:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Oskar View Post
With a negative test in my pocket and seeing noone and touching nothing, the risk for others should be at a minimun.

Assuming all goes well. Not so great when some idiot drives into the back of you [emoji6]
Old 04 April 2021, 10:53   #28

Very very true.. ��

Within EU for now the regulations is working with me. The tricky part is UK.

Mayby i ask the boatbuilder to meet me at the port and try to switch trailer as easy as possible.

I even thinking about ordering a truck with a crane, then i dont even have to leave the portarea.
Old 04 April 2021, 12:03   #29

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Very very true.. ��

Within EU for now the regulations is working with me. The tricky part is UK.

Mayby i ask the boatbuilder to meet me at the port and try to switch trailer as easy as possible.

I even thinking about ordering a truck with a crane, then i dont even have to leave the portarea.
Why do you not just leave your trailer at home and get deal off xs for new ,you will save on ferry on your way hear and petrol/diesel ,you will save all the messing ,let them deliver to port ,just pay one way on ferry for trailer and boat going home and you will have a nice new trailer to sell in sweden where i am sure thepricesare far higher than the uk ,so you might even make a profit !!
Old 04 April 2021, 12:19   #30

Another good idea to consider, thanks.
Old 04 April 2021, 18:27   #31
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

The execution of the rules in the UK are frequently somewhat detached from actual risk - I can’t go and climb a mountain despite probably seeing nobody else all day... there is, rightly or wrongly, considerable concern about new strains coming in - so the government don’t want to see people coming here for the sort of trip you are proposing at present. They would love a story about a swede who smuggled his way into the country getting a huge fine to emphasise who tough they are being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Why do you not just leave your trailer at home and get deal off xs for new ,you will save on ferry on your way hear and petrol/diesel ,you will save all the messing ,let them deliver to port ,just pay one way on ferry for trailer and boat going home and you will have a nice new trailer to sell in sweden where i am sure thepricesare far higher than the uk ,so you might even make a profit !!

I think if you can sell in in Sweden this could easily be the best bet - but I’m not sure how easy that is - we’ve seen (even pre-Brexit) people on other Eu countries have issues with our lack of trailer registration system.

Given the costs of fuel, ferries, testing etc - I’d wonder if getting it stuck on a giant pallet as freight might actually be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

I think there is a “limit” on the distance you can travel 50mi/km ? IIRC

I don’t know how thorough Borderforce are being but I’d be surprised if they just wave anyone through bringing an empty boat trailer who says it’s commercial... perhaps I am over estimating their interest/attention span. Some rules were recently introduced requiring lorry drivers to test throughout their visit - so I assume someone will be trying to engage the OP in that.
Old 04 April 2021, 18:34   #32

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Ir may be worth considering getting it shipped in a container - especially if you can fins Swedish businesses exporting goods in containers to the UK which need repatriation.

Off set the cost against your fuel, paperwork and crane hire, let along all the Covid risks / complications.
Old 04 April 2021, 20:20   #33

Thanks again for all your concern.

I will look up the container option tomorrow.

Did i understand the thing about your trailers right. They dont need registration?
Old 05 April 2021, 17:31   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Ir may be worth considering getting it shipped in a container - especially if you can fins Swedish businesses exporting goods in containers to the UK which need repatriation.

Off set the cost against your fuel, paperwork and crane hire, let along all the Covid risks / complications.

This [emoji115][emoji122]
Old 05 April 2021, 21:33   #35
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Did i understand the thing about your trailers right. They dont need registration?
Yes - trailers in the UK are NOT issued with government registration documents or number plates (we use the same number plate as the car towing it). I think they do all have a unique VIN number on them now, but there's no central record of who the owner* is; and no government issued registration document - which in some of the more beaurocratic jurisdictions creates a problem when you try to register it after import. It *may* have improved recently since UK trailers started conforming to EU standards, but I suspect Brexit will mean at least some UK trailer manufacturers are less likely to produce all the correct paperwork that might be needed...

*before anyone confuses the situation I am perfectly aware that we don't have a registry of car owners, only keepers too - this doesn't seem like the thread for arguing semantics - we don't have a registry of keepers for trailers either!
Old 05 April 2021, 21:41   #36

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Trailers in UK are not registered at all. There is a manufacturer's plate - that tends to break off pretty quickly. There is also no legal annual roadworthiness check certification, insurance or paperwork as there is for a car.
Old 05 April 2021, 23:02   #37

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I think your best bet will be a shipping container. If you don't want the trailer, it can probably be shipped on a wheeled trestle. That said you'll need a hand at the other side to remove from the trailer, hoisted and loaded onto your trailer. I'm sure your boat builder will have dealt with exports before so can assist. Probably easier for them to deliver to port and set up, rather than the container delivered to them, etc. Come in various sizes, 20', 40', etc.

I think the trip to the UK is a non starter. Travel isn't likely to open up any time soon, and if it's commercial you'll need supporting paperwork on route from Sweden there and back. I've just had a look at container port to port option. A shipping agent may be easiest given insurance implications, taxes, etc.

The other option is unaccompanied freight via ferry, but I'd be worried about security, damage to the boat, etc. Not sure how much a commercial boat delivery service would cost as you'll have return fare with trailer, etc.

I've just read about a Norwegian who tried to cross the mountains into Sweden, now in hotel quarantine before police interview after getting stuck in bad weather! https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...arantine-rules
Old 06 April 2021, 07:12   #38

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
A container is stupid if it’s not going on a container ship.

Why not speak to the manufacturer about having it shipped in a truck?

Basically the manufacturer will put it on a massive ‘pallet’ that can be forklifted into the side of a curtain side lorry. Or just crane it in through the roof onto some blocks.

That lorry will then drive all the way to you and can then be forklifted / craned out at the other end and lifted onto your trailer.

That’s is how most goods are transported within the EU.

The cost of a full load to Sweden will be circa £2500 but if you speak to a company like LKW Walter they will group it with another shipment and the total should be about half that.

I’ll be amazed if the manufacturer have not done this before, and if it does not end up cheaper than you driving all the way here and back.

It might even be worth buying a trailer in the UK, putting the boat on that and then lifting the whole thing into the lorry. You could then get the trailer registered in Sweden and sell your old trailer.

If you want some help organising it feel free to PM me but I’ll be amazed if the manufacturer can’t do it. But if not deliver the boat to our yard and we’ll get it in the curtainsider
Old 06 April 2021, 09:22   #39

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
A container is stupid if it’s not going on a container ship.

Why not speak to the manufacturer about having it shipped in a truck?

Basically the manufacturer will put it on a massive ‘pallet’ that can be forklifted into the side of a curtain side lorry. Or just crane it in through the roof onto some blocks.

That lorry will then drive all the way to you and can then be forklifted / craned out at the other end and lifted onto your trailer.

That’s is how most goods are transported within the EU.

The cost of a full load to Sweden will be circa £2500 but if you speak to a company like LKW Walter they will group it with another shipment and the total should be about half that.

I’ll be amazed if the manufacturer have not done this before, and if it does not end up cheaper than you driving all the way here and back.

It might even be worth buying a trailer in the UK, putting the boat on that and then lifting the whole thing into the lorry. You could then get the trailer registered in Sweden and sell your old trailer.

If you want some help organising it feel free to PM me but I’ll be amazed if the manufacturer can’t do it. But if not deliver the boat to our yard and we’ll get it in the curtainsider

Agreed, apart from the bit about buying a trailer here & registering it in Sweden. Much easier to buy a “local” trailer IMO. I’d crate/pallet ship it & buy a trailer in Sweden.
I sold my last boat to a German guy, he took it back to Germany on the EU type approved SBS trailer. Got it back to Germany & TUV wouldn’t issue registration papers for it because it didn’t have the original builders paperwork & documents (I never had any as they aren’t required in the UK) he had to sell the trailer to a boat yard as a yard trailer iirc. My current Dutch built trailer came with more documents that the van that tows it[emoji849]. The situation can’t have improved after “The Thing”
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2021, 09:26   #40

Cant tell you how greatful i am for all your help.

I really would like to give some back when possible.

About trailer, i will have a problem have it registerd in Sweden if it has not been registerd before.

I just recieved a message from a transportcompany, they say they dont do this transport during covid restrictions.

And now i sent the question to LKW.

I belive there is a lot of solutions, i just need to find one i can afford.

Tags
rib