Click Here to Login

Old 25 July 2020, 11:05   #1

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Infl. Paddle Board - Advice Pls.

I want to buy my wife an inflatable paddle board for her birthday, I know she wants one.

Anything boaty that inflates for me has always had to be hypolon, can you get hypolon paddle boards? I doubt it.

So clearly I know nothing about them, could anyone please advise me what I need to know to get her the right one.

And where do you get them from?

Many thanks.
Old 25 July 2020, 12:03   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
No you don’t get them in Hypalon.

What does she want to use it for? There are different boards for cruising, racing, surfing, white water etc. Although most people probably just have a general all round board. Size matters, but will be less important depending on the use.

Red are generally “the” brand in inflatable sups for people looking to splash their cash. But there are other premium and budget brands. Personally unless she’s really serious I don’t think she’ll know the difference between a red and one of the decathlon boards.

Possibly the most important things to make sure it actually gets used: decent pump - it’s more of a workout than using the bloody thing; a carry bag (most come with one but some budget ones have to save some money somewhere) - if you want to get 1/2 mile down the beach a rucksack style thing is useful.
Old 25 July 2020, 12:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
No you don’t get them in Hypalon.

What does she want to use it for? There are different boards for cruising, racing, surfing, white water etc. Although most people probably just have a general all round board. Size matters, but will be less important depending on the use.

Red are generally “the” brand in inflatable sups for people looking to splash their cash. But there are other premium and budget brands. Personally unless she’s really serious I don’t think she’ll know the difference between a red and one of the decathlon boards.

Possibly the most important things to make sure it actually gets used: decent pump - it’s more of a workout than using the bloody thing; a carry bag (most come with one but some budget ones have to save some money somewhere) - if you want to get 1/2 mile down the beach a rucksack style thing is useful.
Thanks Poly,

She is not a Surfer type so just playing about on up the river really. Put in the Rib on a nice day and paddle about, she's 5,5, I'm 6ft and my son is 6,4, something we could all jump on would be great.

I have seen the Red ones but had also thought Decathlon would probably be fine for what we want it for.

Is it feasible to take on a flight?
Old 25 July 2020, 12:25   #4

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Personally unless she’s really serious I don’t think she’ll know the difference between a red and one of the decathlon boards.
.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t disagree more. There’s a reason they are the most spenny. I watch dozens of people everyday using cheaper brands and generally have a terrible time as most bend like bananas! Red are the only ones I know of that use the stiffeners in the rails. More so if you son is 6’4, it’s the difference between going around in circles and falling off and having an enjoyable cruise. (I’m 6’6 100kg!)

And please what ever you do, use the paddle the correct way around. 9/10 do not and again contributes to a bad experience. If storage wasn’t a concern I’d recommend a hard board every day as the enjoyment and ease of use is night and day compared to even the best inflatables.
Old 25 July 2020, 12:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allye View Post
I couldn’t disagree more. There’s a reason they are the most spenny. I watch dozens of people everyday using cheaper brands and generally have a terrible time as most bend like bananas! Red are the only ones I know of that use the stiffeners in the rails. More so if you son is 6’4, it’s the difference between going around in circles and falling off and having an enjoyable cruise. (I’m 6’6 100kg!)

And please what ever you do, use the paddle the correct way around. 9/10 do not and again contributes to a bad experience. If storage wasn’t a concern I’d recommend a hard board every day as the enjoyment and ease of use is night and day compared to even the best inflatables.
Wow, lots to think about there - many thanks, I need to have as much information as possible to make the correct decision.��
Old 25 July 2020, 14:31   #6
RIBnet admin team

Infl. Paddle Board - Advice Pls.

Quote:
]
Have you actually used a decathlon board that you inflated correctly yourself or just seen people using “cheap brands” that bend and assume it’s the brand issue. My board doesn’t bend like a banana (but pumping it up to the proper pressure is a PITA as I said, so I’ve always assumed the flexi boards I’ve seen were user error). I don’t see a lot of people using paddles backwards either - perhaps there is a correlation? People who buy a board with no training...

I’ve used mine in the sea, lochs, gentle rivers and canals and never had a problem with going round in circles or flexing and whilst not quite as tall as you am getting worrying close in the weight department! I don’t surf though - so the whole board is always in the water. My son has surfed it - but he’s about half my weight (for the same height!). I learned on a red board (and some hard boards) and didn’t have any issues when I moved to the decathlon one. The battens that you fit to the side of red boards may be more important for some uses than others?

A decathlon board, pump, paddle and leash is going to set you back 500 quid. That’s half what red charge for a very similar sized product - but double the bargain internet options.
Old 25 July 2020, 14:44   #7
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
Thanks Poly,

She is not a Surfer type so just playing about on up the river really.
i noticed PLA recently making a particular point about quick release waist leashes for river use - probably depends on the size of the river but worth being aware of the risk that you and the board go opposite sides of a hazard in a strong flow.

Quote:
Put in the Rib on a nice day and paddle about
mmm, not sure what size your rib is but work through the logistics on that. They are a bit unwieldy to transport inflated on a small rib (from experience ok for a mile or two in good conditions - but the board is light and wants to fly once you get up some speed).

Quote:
Is it feasible to take on a flight?
Yes it will be an extra bit of luggage but perfectly feasible. Of course you can even fly with hard boards - but they are a bit trickier at the other end with hire cars etc.
Old 25 July 2020, 19:12   #8

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
We bought our Jobe board from The SUP Company - https://www.thesupco.com/. Tony Jones is the owner and he's very approachable if you want some advice on the board most suited to your requirements.

We also bought a board from Decathlon and it's fine albeit with a bit less volume and therefore a bit more unstable than the Jobe board.

I bought a Bravo electric pump that will pump it up to its required pressure. As Poly says, getting the last few PSI with a stirrup pump is hard work particularly when you discover you didn't rotate the valve innards before inflating.

We are definitely in the begnner camp.

I've not carried it on the RIB yet.
Old 26 July 2020, 16:18   #9

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Denis
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
Hi, bought this from amazon for our daughter.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

chose it because it is 10'6 " x 6" and will take up to 150kg (so 2 people). It has been great, kept inflated for 2 months, really safe and sturdy and inexpensive. Great fun and great value
Old 27 July 2020, 16:40   #10

Town: Weston-super-Mare
Boat name: Lemaura
Make: Jets Marivent
Engine: Evinrude etec 75hp
I have a Red Paddle board 10.8 with fibre glass paddle. I did my homework and this is the best for the money. Unfortunately I just done seem to get to use it! I have only used it twice and still in bag with pump and leash etc. It still even has the cellephane wrapped around board when rolled up in carry bag. It cost just over £700 new last year. Would you be intested in buying it? I was thinking £625
Old 27 July 2020, 16:47   #11

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Denis
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha 100
The board I bought for my daughter from Amazon (see previous post) was £229 and is perfect for what you need.
Old 27 July 2020, 17:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapeskiing View Post
I have a Red Paddle board 10.8 with fibre glass paddle. I did my homework and this is the best for the money. Unfortunately I just done seem to get to use it! I have only used it twice and still in bag with pump and leash etc. It still even has the cellephane wrapped around board when rolled up in carry bag. It cost just over £700 new last year. Would you be intested in buying it? I was thinking £625
PM sent - Many thanks. Toby
Old 27 July 2020, 19:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil R View Post
The board I bought for my daughter from Amazon (see previous post) was £229 and is perfect for what you need.
It’s just doesn’t compare. The difference in use would be night and day.
Old 28 July 2020, 07:22   #14

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil R View Post
We've purchased two very similar boards from Amazon, kids LOVE them, no issues, like any board just make sure they're inflated to the correct pressure

Quote:
It’s just doesn’t compare. The difference in use would be night and day.
Your right, they don't compare - ones about a 1/4 the cost of the other!
Old 28 July 2020, 07:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
We've purchased two very similar boards from Amazon, kids LOVE them, no issues, like any board just make sure they're inflated to the correct pressure

Your right, they don't compare - ones about a 1/4 the cost of the other!
I’m surprised people interested in marine hobbies can’t see the different in a quality product and crap.
Old 28 July 2020, 08:43   #16

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
I’m surprised people interested in marine hobbies can’t see the different in a quality product and crap.
So I choose to spend £600 on products for my kids (12 and 6), that is after researching many brands, reading reviews ( which for the SUP's I choose were excellent ) and three summers later our first board still looks like brand new, had no issues and gets used pretty much every weekend during the season.
Please explain to me why I've made such a poor decision, why I can't discern between a quality and a crap product and why I need to spend £1000 per board to stop you making stupid assumptions?
Old 28 July 2020, 10:01   #17

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Words fail me and the emoji I was looking for isn't there.

Are you sure you can't find another forum of better quality than this one and leave all us idiots to fumble around in the dark.
Old 28 July 2020, 11:09   #18

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Well myself and Mrs chipko have a couple of cheapo Two Bare Feet boards...impulse buy at the Boat Show...sub £300 each. Great for that relaxed balmy evening soirée in the bay or surfing small wavelets.

No. 1 son, a more committed boarder who has high quality branded inflatable and rigid boards, is not averse to putting our cheapies through their paces in big surf. For the money he reckons they’re ace.
Old 28 July 2020, 12:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Words fail me and the emoji I was looking for isn't there.

Are you sure you can't find another forum of better quality than this one and leave all us idiots to fumble around in the dark.
Certain people do like to cause trouble and be unpleasant, and you GuyC are not one of them, you're one of the good guys around here.

Many thanks for everyone's help on this subject, I hope to have a deal with Escapeskiing if he still wants to sell it.

Ribtecer
Old 28 July 2020, 14:18   #20
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Well myself and Mrs chipko have a couple of cheapo Two Bare Feet boards...
Two Bare Feet are one of the better brands at the cheaper end of the market and definitely worth considering.

I’d suggest avoiding the super cheap supermarket/Ebay boards though as they’re likely to disappoint. They tend to be much more flexible and less durable than better quality offerings.

Red Paddle Co make good kit, but at a significant premium. I don’t think it’s justified when compared with one of the better mid range brands like McConks which have similar products at more competitive prices.