Old 02 March 2011, 15:52   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Ebay/paypal payment issue

I purchased an I phone via ebay and it was paid for by paypal and also I used a credit card to ensure I had a record via paypal. Money sent 21/2/11 and I have been sent the phone and it works, no problems.
Today I received an e mail from ebay telling me not to go ahead with purchase(two weeks after end of sale)
I have checked PAYPAL account and money sent, have not yet had credit card statement about if processed.

I have been contacted by e mail from seller stating he cannot access paypal account and therefore cant be paid but wants to repay the amount and then when cleared will ask for bankers draft or cheque. I have no issue with paying but the seller has been shown now as no longer a registered user.

What are peoples thoughts as never had any similar problem when using paypal, I am happy to pay BUT I have no intention of being scammed for another payment.
I have emailed PAYPAL and will check credit cards accounts
Old 02 March 2011, 15:57   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
wait to see if the money gone you've got the phone and the fault is his or ebay, tell him your intentions and why
Old 02 March 2011, 16:05   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Cheers Biff. Just checked on line- the correct amount is on my credit card statement so it does appear to be the other end. I have e mailed my intention to await his updates and if the money is repaid and cleared I will again pay. Watch this space as I have no idea why this has occurred
Old 02 March 2011, 16:11   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Sounds like a total messer, if you get the money back and it sticks for a while, you might consider the cheque thingy. Personally, I wouldn't get too worked up about his/her plight.
Old 02 March 2011, 16:19   #5

Town: Stranraer
Make: No Boat now
Length: no boat
If your Paypal account states payment made then it is no longer your problem. Do not send any money/cheque unless request comes direct from e-bay and then only after refund has cleared in your account.
This sounds dodgy to me.
Old 02 March 2011, 16:46   #6

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I would agree with what others have said. Once Paypal have completed the transaction which they clearly have (by charging your credit card) then the responsibility is theirs and the credit card company, not your's.

Just politely remind the seller that it's not your responsibility and that you have been billed for the Phone.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote