Old 03 July 2009, 20:03   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Creating ebay shop

Whilst I have no problem designing and installing a 10,000 user network I have no clue as to website design - I have no artistic talent at all and can't even use Word properly!!!

I need to set up a decent Ebay shop - i assume there are templates around to do this?

If so can someone suggest the best ones to use - pref free!!!
Old 03 July 2009, 22:45   #2

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/store-getstarted.html

It is all done from tick box templates as you go through the options etc

hope that helps
Old 04 July 2009, 02:49   #3

Most of the best Ebay shops use custome templates etc - I think 3rd party ones may be a bit more professional - but I may be wrong!!!
Old 04 July 2009, 08:00   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Most of the best Ebay shops use custome templates etc - I think 3rd party ones may be a bit more professional - but I may be wrong!!!
Cod - I would think you could make even ebay's built in free templates look reasonably professional (and certainly better than a typical ebay ad) just by using sensible/appropriate sized text, a spell checker, limiting the use of colours, weird fonts, CAPITALS, etc.

Is this for a serious "business" venture or just some "hobby" stuff. Sometimes its useful to give the buyer the right impression - e.g. if its run as a business I expect fast, intelligent answers to my questions and the ability to post stuff quickly etc. If its just a guy who is doing it as a "side line" then I can accept that he will take a day or two to answer questions and might only be able to send stuff out once or twice a week.

If it is for a serious professional business - then it might be worth paying a designed a few £ to make something custom!
Old 04 July 2009, 10:24   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I expect fast, intelligent answers to my questions and the ability to post stuff quickly etc.
Sounds like C-P should tick all your boxes so.

He is, after all, The Fastest Poster in the West.

Old 04 July 2009, 13:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Cod - I would think you could make even ebay's built in free templates look reasonably professional (and certainly better than a typical ebay ad) just by using sensible/appropriate sized text, a spell checker, limiting the use of colours, weird fonts, CAPITALS, etc.

Is this for a serious "business" venture or just some "hobby" stuff. Sometimes its useful to give the buyer the right impression - e.g. if its run as a business I expect fast, intelligent answers to my questions and the ability to post stuff quickly etc. If its just a guy who is doing it as a "side line" then I can accept that he will take a day or two to answer questions and might only be able to send stuff out once or twice a week.

If it is for a serious professional business - then it might be worth paying a designed a few £ to make something custom!

Yes its for a serious business - trouble is we have spent all our money on the website - nothing left over for the Ebay shop and my web designer is too busy at the moment.

I already run an Ebay shop

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/codpra...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

But it's not very good - haven't spent much time on it!!!
Old 06 July 2009, 15:13   #7

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Find one you like, right click, view source, copy, "adapt extensively" and use for your site. Or get a copy of Dreamweaver and spend a day creating your own. You have a website that I guess would have graphics and colour schemes, adapt these and you then keep you corporate ID.
On reflection perhaps a mix of all these would be the ideal solution. Above all avoid the fancy stuff, no flash,javascript or java.
Old 06 July 2009, 19:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
Find one you like, right click, view source, copy, "adapt extensively" and use for your site. Or get a copy of Dreamweaver and spend a day creating your own. You have a website that I guess would have graphics and colour schemes, adapt these and you then keep you corporate ID.
On reflection perhaps a mix of all these would be the ideal solution. Above all avoid the fancy stuff, no flash,javascript or java.
Yes i agree - hate fancy websites with a passion.

Those lightboxes everyone uses now are really annoying as well - why slow down the loading of a pic - mad!!!