Old 27 May 2011, 19:28   #1

Town: Stranraer
Make: No Boat now
Length: no boat
Tall Ships Greenock

Looking to visit tall ships when in Greenock 10th July.
Where is best place to slip 4.7m RIB and park car trailer safely?
Thought Inverkip might be best although there will be a cost.
Is there parking at the Greenock slips?
Any advice welcome.
Old 28 May 2011, 08:36   #2

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
helensbugh pier has a slip usable 3hrs each side high water and good car parking and will be away from car ect traffic
i used this slip for many years with 6m flatacraft and twin axle trailer
may be weedy from lack of use
Old 28 May 2011, 09:04   #3

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
I usually launch at Largs Yacht Haven when out on the Clyde. It's a bit of a run up to Greenock but good fun. Good, sheltered, non tidal slip with pontoons for tyeing up, also secure parking for car/trailer. £16 for self launch/recover or £140 per year self launch. Largs also has the public slip (tidal)round from the haven with good parking and the RNLI slip in Largs (difficulty parking).
Others I've used, Kip Marina (charge for self launch) and the slip at the (now demolished and replaced by houses) Adams boatyard in Gourock, parking can be difficult here but if your lucky you can get the trailler on the flat area next to the slipway and park the car on the road.
Old 28 May 2011, 16:16   #4

Thanks for your replies.
Have considered most of these but Largs seems best idea and saves me towing too far.
£16 doesn't seem too bad for day if everything is secure.
Do I need to arrange in advance or can i just turn up on the day?
Old 28 May 2011, 17:26   #5

there is 2 free slips with ample parking in port glasgow which is about 5 mins sail from where the tall ships will be berthed.

i launch my boat at newark public slipway at port glasgow with no problems.

if you want to go the other way there is a free slip at gourock in cardwell bay.

i've never had a problem with either with coming home to no trailer but there is a chance anywhere you go i guess.

cheers
Old 31 May 2011, 11:54   #6

Thanks.
is there ample parking at both sites bearing in mind it could be a busy weekend?
Old 31 May 2011, 12:39   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Last time I checked the slip out at Kip it wasn't wonderful. The chandlery on the other hand is excellent...... There is a "slip" on the beach just downriver of the marina, see boatlaunch for details.

Largs would be my 1st choice, or if you end up Helensburgh side there is also a slip at Rhu near the Outdoor centre. Be aware it's not the nice concrete on you can see in the satellite pics, that is the centre's and they don't like you usung it! The slip I occasionally use is about 100 yds Rhu side of the concrete one, and is OK if you don't mind a pebble beach at low tide. I think it's on Boatlaunch too.
Old 31 May 2011, 20:01   #8

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I might come to this if I am about that weekend, however I will launch from Dunoon on the other side........
Old 01 June 2011, 12:28   #9

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald463 View Post
Thanks for your replies.
Have considered most of these but Largs seems best idea and saves me towing too far.
£16 doesn't seem too bad for day if everything is secure.
Do I need to arrange in advance or can i just turn up on the day?
You should be alright just showing up but I'd give them a bell just to confirm. Security barriers block access to the marina but park the car/boat in one of the public car parking areas and walk along to Reception. After you've paid they'll raise the barrier and let you in. Just watch out for big Neil in his tractor, he's normally at the slipway. Hoses/jetwash etc available for washing down the RIB afterwards.

If I ever get the scaffolding down from the house I might manage to get the boat out and take a trip up myself.
Old 01 June 2011, 13:29   #10

Yeah, just rock up & press the buzzer on the barrier intercom. They can see you from the office, and if you have trailer & ask about launching they'll let you in. Plenty of places near the office to park & go to pay / get instructions / toilet keycode etc.

I'm not going to tempt fate & say I may actually be free just yet, but if I am will probably see you there...
Old 01 June 2011, 17:33   #11

Thanks for all advice.
Looks like Largs is the answer weather permitting.
Look forward to seeing anyone else who turns up.
Assuming slip OK at any tide will be there first thing Sunday 10th July.
Old 16 June 2011, 08:41   #12

largs is quite a distance from where the ships will be and in very open part of the clyde. i would think on your boat description it will take you over an hour to get to where the ships are berthed. everywhere will be busy i'd guess but port glasgow/gourock would be my preferred launch site as it's 5 mins either side of where they will be. gourock has a large car park just round from the slipway which is never full behind the outboard shop FYI.

port glasgow has less parking available but i've never had a problem. it is hard to say really as we don't know the traffic but i'd give largs a miss unless you want a good run upto them and weather is decent. there are 2slips at gourock which are pretty good 100 yards apart. port glasgow is no use 2 hours either side of low tide really. gourock is a lot better and i've never struggled to get a boat out before there.

that said i would plan on not going in/out on low tide where possible anyway.

forget the slip at kip marina, all but useless.

cheers
Old 16 June 2011, 16:47   #13

Thanks for all replies.
Decided to go from Largs and make a day of it if excellent weather or Gourock if not ideal.
Old 26 June 2011, 23:09   #14

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I have just checked and have a trimix dive booked in South Shields on the saturday. Luckily I am usually back fairly early saturday evening from these dives but looking at the tal ships website I can't seem to find any reference to when the ships arrive over the weekend.
Anybody any idea if sunday is going to be worth turning out for to see some ships coming up the clyde?
If they are all going to be moored up by then there seems little point towing a boat for more than two hours each way on sunday to see them........
Old 26 June 2011, 23:15   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Bruce, from the NTM it sounds like te 12th (tue) would be the ideal day to see them, and if i understand it (and from a previous visit to another venue) they are likely to be all tied up alongside on Sunday with not (m)any actually sailing in the Clyde...

Quote:
Page 1
Captain Ron Bailey, Harbour Master,Clydeport Operations Limited, Marine Department,Ocean Terminal, Patrick Street,Greenock, PA16 8UUTelephone 01475 726221 Fax 01475 727006 Email: estuary.tower@clydeport.co.uk

NOTICE TO MARINERS 42/11
TALL SHIPS EVENT – NTM No 1

The Tall Ships event in Greenock will take place from 9th to 12th July this summer. Sailing ships willbe arriving in the Firth of Clyde from the 6th until late on the 8th.The event is taking place within Great Harbour and James Watt Dock. James Watt Dock will beclosed to all traffic other than that involved with the event. A one-way system will be in operationwithin Great Harbour to enable visiting leisure vessels to view the Tall Ships there.When the Parade of Sail takes place on the 12th, there will be restrictions to normal vesselmovements to ensure all participating sailing vessels can clear Great Harbour and James Watt Dockwithout hindrance. With the number of large vessels sailing at this time there will be a demand forpilotage and towage services which will restrict normal commercial vessel movements.Further information will be promulgated in due course as the event nears
Old 28 June 2011, 08:08   #16

So is this still happening on the Sunday?

I can do either day, I just need to know which ideally by Thursday as I'll have limited (if any) access to ribnet next week.

Donald,

Assuming Largs, do you have a time in mind to launch? Only thing is I'm in the last 4 hrs of my running in, so will be limited to approx 23 knots at the beginning, but that will increase as the day ticks by and should be WOT capable by mid afternoon. If you have no concrete plan, I'll just appear at the marina and I'm sure we'll meet up somewhere on the water.

You can't miss me - grotty looking toobs & a smoking Merc on the transom! (only one more tank of 25:1... yipee!)
Old 28 June 2011, 12:21   #17

Expecting to be at Largs by 10am and certainly in water by 11am. 23knots is about usual for me when cruising so will see you at Largs or you will pass me later!!
Old 28 June 2011, 12:40   #18

OK, cool. I expect that'll be the sort of cruising speed I'll end up at once I finally get it run in.
Old 30 June 2011, 08:04   #19

Donald,

Change of plan. Work has got in the way so can't do Sunday, but on the plus side I have Tuesday off now, so I plan to be at Largs for around 10 and go point the camera at the parade of sail.

So, any of you out there on Tues, I'm the orange rib with a smoke trail....... Maybe see someone?
Old 30 June 2011, 19:35   #20

i'm planning to be out everyday weather permitting.

i'll update the post daily on what i'm doing and maybe meet up with others???

cheers