Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 October 2004, 08:35   #41
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,451
Mark,

Thank you so much for your generous offer. We really really appreciate it.
But Cookee's invited us (& Fiona) to the Bananashark Do in Salcombe the same weekend as on the agenda will be Team Cookee's recent work for the Ileostomy Association.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6100

We're gutted that the two fall on the same weekend and sincerely apologise for pulling out.

Hopefully meet up soon anyways and thanks again for the welcome,

missus
__________________
Happy New Resolutions!!! : RIBbing for the craic!!!
The Jackeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2004, 09:17   #42
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Knowlson
Andre - Chances of suitable weather for crossing the channel safely at the end of Oct look extremely slim! Would be most interested in alternative plans if any are hatched.

Regards

Paul
Paul

will keep you posted
__________________
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2004, 17:44   #43
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 673
Need Crew for this Trip

Ok then it appears that getting crew on my boat is like asking Usama Bin Laden to pop into the White House for tea.

I have been blown out by three people now and as I've just been given the weekend pass I'm definitely going, especially as Iíve have missed out on summer boating.

Anyone up for it?

Cheers

Mark
__________________
MarkWildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2004, 19:50   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey
Ok then it appears that getting crew on my boat is like asking Usama Bin Laden to pop into the White House for tea.

I have been blown out by three people now
Apologies again

Hope you get replacement crew as a spin in Jellignite is a great boat. Loved crossing Lyme Bay in it ...nice stretch of open water (didn't realise it was 'offshore' till Alan P said!!!)

missus
__________________
Happy New Resolutions!!! : RIBbing for the craic!!!
The Jackeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2004, 14:28   #45
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Knowlson
Andre - Chances of suitable weather for crossing the channel safely at the end of Oct look extremely slim! Would be most interested in alternative plans if any are hatched.
Hi Paul & Andre,

Sorry, I've not been around. Computer went down and needed a complete re-installation!

Now, alternatives..... I'm up for the whole weekend from Friday to Monday but as I've already posted, I think we'll be lucky to go in 6mtr boats. It's a bit far in one day even in the Summer so it will have to be perfect both ways and in October you can never be sure.... unless some exceptionally settled weather comes in, (oink-oink Ė flutter-flutter)

So, alternatives... Well if itís reasonable for 24 hours or so, how about a crossing to Alderney to wave off the 8mtr guys and stay the night on Alderney or Cherbourg or somewhere, then return? Or maybe if itís better in the East, how about an overnight trip to Bolougne from Dover?

Or failing that, (and with my luck with the weather it'll be at least a Force 6, so the most likely), A trip up the tidal Thames through London?

Thoughts and comments then?...

And Charles, I will get back to you e-mail in a day or so.!!!

Mike C
__________________
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2004, 17:25   #46
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,872
Mike

good alternative. I am off also from friday till Tuesday. If London is on can it be for Sunday and in your rib

I am not too keen to tow and launch at Dover would rather push off from LAmpton
Lets see what the weather is up to
__________________
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2004, 00:57   #47
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bembridge IOW
Make: Cobra 8.5m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Merc DTronic 250hp
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 39
Mike,

I like the idea very much but I am about as close to the Thames as I am to St Malo! Agree with your weather prognosis - it is extremely unlikely that it will be favourable enough.

Add to all this the fact that at present I am unable to resolve a surging problem with my engine and it all looks very doubtful. I hope to get my friendly engineer on the problem in the next couple of days - if we are lucky I will reconsider.

Rgards

Paul
__________________
Paul Knowlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2004, 08:31   #48
Member
 
tim griffin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,861
St Malo

Hi all
is this trip on or off as have not heard anything for a while and seems alternatives are being planned
regards Tim
__________________
Tim Griffin
RYA Freelance YMI power Powerboat and PWC instructor trainer vhf first aid sea survival Diesel engine radar and navigation instructor
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2004, 11:28   #49
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Hi all
is this trip on or off as have not heard anything for a while and seems alternatives are being planned
regards Tim
Sorry Tim, we with the 6 mtr ribs who wanted to go have only hi-jacked this thread. I am sure the cruise is on but not for us.
__________________
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2004, 12:48   #50
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Big Blue
Make: Halmatic Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 140
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 63
There are two boats confirmed as leaving from Falmouth early on Friday am. Magellan Alpha and Cyanide.

Andy
__________________
Andy Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2004, 13:04   #51
Member
 
tim griffin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,861
Any from the Solent end confirmed yet ?
Tim
__________________
Tim Griffin
RYA Freelance YMI power Powerboat and PWC instructor trainer vhf first aid sea survival Diesel engine radar and navigation instructor
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2004, 17:39   #52
Member
 
qcamel's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
I am booked in my head to go, just waiting to get a long term weather forcast nexy week before I drive down from Newcastle! Guess I will still leave from the Solent, picking Tim up in Yarmouth.
__________________
Ollie
qcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2004, 10:32   #53
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 673
Charles

Would it be possible to post a 'runners and riders' list based on what you know and their start points.

Cheers

Mark
__________________
MarkWildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2004, 18:51   #54
Member
 
Country: Other
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 411
Sadly, I've got absolutely no chance of making this event as Friday 29th is turning into a nightmare businesswise. I've got two people on holiday, one person giving evidence in court, and somebody else who will need to leave early 'cos his wife will be in hospital....

(If anybody else EVER says to me "Oh, it's all right for you because you've got your own business !" I'll bloody well swing for 'em, or at 'em anyway)

Sorry I can't be there. Hope the weather's good, everyone has a safe passage and a brill time, and that there's no requirement to dismantle any French machinery.

VOYA CON DIOS

Brian
__________________
Bittentobuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2004, 22:15   #55
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshoes
Sorry I can't be there. Hope the weather's good, everyone has a safe passage and a brill time, and that there's no requirement to dismantle any French machinery.

VOYA CON DIOS

Brian
Well said as usual Brian.

Hope the cruise goes well and look forward to hearing all about it when ye get back.

missus vaya con dios from us too
__________________
Happy New Resolutions!!! : RIBbing for the craic!!!
The Jackeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2004, 08:53   #56
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 483
Weather Forecast

For those of you concerned about the weather for this event, here's my forecast for the next 7 days for the Western Channel.

Between Friday 22 and Friday 29 the area will dominated by a low that moves about over the UK and Ireland. On Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday this will deliver S to SW winds of between Force 4 and Gale 8 intermitently. The sea will not be RIB friendly.

There will be something of a lull on Tuesday before it picks up again next Thursday SW 4 to 5. On Thursday the wind will ease with the low centred on the area. It is therefore likely that the breeze may be from the N in the Poole area and west of Falmouth from the S. Friday should be see the breeze fairly light all the way across to St Malo.

It's a bit early to look further ahead than this but my guess is that this trip might be a goer. I'll update in due course.
__________________
Mike G
Mike Garside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2004, 11:39   #57
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 443
And following on from that, can I just reiterate Andre's comments about us hi-jacking the thread....

The weather concerns are really just with myself and Andre's boat, both 6mtr with cruising speeds of 25 knots. If its much more than pretty flat, due to a decrease in speed we just won't be able to make St Malo in the day. For example, if we have to drop down to 20 knots average, it will take 8 hours, 10 hours at 15 knots. So our weather worries are more about logistics, before we even think of safety. All you people with 8Mtr + Ribs will still probably knock on at 25 knots in something that I would have to drop down to 15 for....

So big boys, please ignore our whether moans and enjoy..... Us minnows will follow if we can.

Mike C
__________________
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2004, 12:03   #58
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,082
Just an update on our plans/problems:

We will be on Lake Windermere as of tomorow without an internet connection all week. As much as we would like to make the trip it means cutting 2 days off our usual holiday and driving nearly 10 hours straight to the south coast towing the boat.
As it stand at the moment we are planning to make the trip but only if we are sure the weather is going to be good.
__________________
simmons0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2004, 13:12   #59
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,872
Just to follow up on Mike's post we will be there to see the big ribs off and weather permitting may "escort" them,(now that is a laugh) to Alderney , then perhaps head for Cherbourg for the night, who knows, so David & Harry you are welcome to join us cos Mike & I have taken the whole weekend off . The weather will be the deciding factor
__________________
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2004, 00:03   #60
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 344
Have a good one
__________________
Joint Ribtickler 2005
jackeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.