Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
oh no, wont be the same with out you!!

If it's any consolation, if I don't make it I'll spend the whole weekend being peeved about it!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2008, 17:58   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Hi

Stayed at the camp site opposite Fowey last year great area we did over 400 miles in the week, East to Salcombe and west to the Runnel Stone, south to Eddystone Rocks we we’re lucky and had good weather light winds and flat seas.
I would think that a trip to the isles of Scilly would be very weather dependant (you would need to ask a local who’s done it) and at least on the south coast you can go to other places instead of looking at the waves crash into the north coast. The distance going from the north or south looks to be very similar to me if you go as the crow flies over water
We got fuel in Salcombe £1.39 litre & Mylar £1.27 litre and I believe you can get it in cans in Looe at high tide as the garage is next to the harbour but I haven’t done it.

Pics of the slip etc at the camp site

James
There are major 'cons' involved with taking the North coast route, but as these guys appear to have decided that that's the way to go, i'll keep quiet.
Old 29 January 2008, 18:56   #23

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
.....i'll keep quiet.
Old 29 January 2008, 20:16   #24

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
There are major 'cons' involved with taking the North coast route, but as these guys appear to have decided that that's the way to go, i'll keep quiet.
Mollers Please don't keep quiet. You are local to the area I am not. I have spent a few weeks last year at Rock and lets face it the weather was crap almost every time i went however I got down as far as Newquay and St Ives on a few occasions and really enjoyed the run. However its fair to say I enjoy going out in rougher conditions more than other people may as does Matt.

I agree that weather and sea state would be a defining factor and ultimately I am not going to waste a precious weekend away (I am only allowed a few on my own) If there weather is not going to be suitable.

I have also put a call into Toby Budd who wrote the article on the Scillies for Rib Int to ask his advice as he has done this trip on many occasions and is familiar with both routes, however any advice you can give would be welcome.

Chris
Old 29 January 2008, 20:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Mollers Please don't keep quiet. You are local to the area I am not. I have spent a few weeks last year at Rock and lets face it the weather was crap almost every time i went however I got down as far as Newquay and St Ives on a few occasions and really enjoyed the run. However its fair to say I enjoy going out in rougher conditions more than other people may as does Matt.

I agree that weather and sea state would be a defining factor and ultimately I am not going to waste a precious weekend away (I am only allowed a few on my own) If there weather is not going to be suitable.

I have also put a call into Toby Budd who wrote the article on the Scillies for Rib Int to ask his advice as he has done this trip on many occasions and is familiar with both routes, however any advice you can give would be welcome.

Chris
As i mentioned earlier, the South and North coasts are totally different beasts. 67Nm in 5m Ribs over there could, if it kicks up a bit, will be a long, long way. On this coast you'll never be more than a few miles from an easily accessible harbour. On the North, you'll have Newquay and St.Ives and not much else, with an onshore swell and high water, even these are a challenge. There are no facilities on that coast.
Perhaps trailering to Penzance and launching there might be easier for you. We sometimes use this option, there's a large carpark above the slip. It's just a case of securing the trailer and paying two lots of parking. It's a 30Nm crossing from there.
Old 29 January 2008, 22:50   #26

Even Roycruse crosses to the Scillies from Penzance and he's as 'adventurous' as they get
Old 30 January 2008, 18:44   #27

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
North coast needs good conditions

Hi

Can only re-confirm that North Cornish Coast is not good if conditions deteriorate. very few 'emergency stop offs'.

10 weeks away
Matt
the posted image is one like mine should be!

meet you all during the year.

Roy
we learnt on the Weymouth run that you had had an accident. Hope you are fully sorted again soon. With no boat we got a 'fast run' down with Hot lemonV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1726.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	32525   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1732.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	32526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1734.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	32527  
Old 30 January 2008, 19:50   #28

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Looks awesome, you will have some fun in that!! post some more pics when you can, love to see them!!
Old 30 January 2008, 21:06   #29

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Love the new boat Paul
Nice color scheme, looks like you can do some serious cruising in her.
Was getting lots of sympathy till they took my crutches away, just got to see out February and i should be ready for the big stuff late march early April.
Old 31 January 2008, 11:53   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Chris
Our Scilly trips are planned in reverse. We look for the weather window that falls over a w/end and go on that. The problem with sea state is what's fine and fun running down either coast of the mainland can get shitty when you break Lands End into open water and then go really mental when the sea piles up over the shallow water that surrounds the islands. I've seen over 30ft of fresh air between Roycruse' prow and the bottom of the trough that's ahead of him on approaching the Scillies. On the otherhand, we've done over 200Nm of cruising around the islands out of Falmouth and not seen a ripple.
Old 31 January 2008, 12:00   #31

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Matt / Chris

Just seen your thread and would definitely be interested in joining in. I'm in the process of having a new boat built (should be ready in 8-10 weeks) and a trip to Scillies was already on the hope-to-do list for the Summer. It would be good to do it with company. The prior weekend might have been easier for folks though as it's a bank holiday!

I have family in Wadebridge and do most of my boating from either Rock or Fowey, so I'm familiar with both areas. The north Cornwall coast is spectacular and unspoilt but there would be more to do on the south coast if poor conditions prevented getting out to Scillies.

I spent a few days at the Penmarlam camp last year and had a great time. Just left the SIB on the pontoon for the duration... So convenient! For anyone who has not been boating around Fowey I can thoroughly recommend the area (about as good as it gets, in my opinion). I adore the rugged north coast but I think the south would be better for a Scilly cruise.

I will watch this post and see how things develop.

David
Old 31 January 2008, 20:11   #32

great, Location...well i guess its where the interest lies,i think the bank holiday initially was avoided as it is gridlock on the roads,,at this early stage it is drumming up interest,to see who wants to go where,Hopefully there will be a long and warm summer and a time where the more distant Rib nuts can meet up with the regulars and swap experiences and knowledge, !!!

By the way, What are you having Built???? Come on tell us!!
Old 31 January 2008, 21:44   #33

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
This site maybe of interest to you guys - http://www.foweyharbour.co.uk/foweyevents.htm
Old 01 February 2008, 14:05   #34

Matt

I've done a little yachting with other people in the past and also some hard boating and SIBing with my own gear. Kinda got interested in other things for a while, but parents moved to Cornwall a few years ago so I bought current SIB (Yamaha 4.3m with aluminium floor and 30hp 2 stroke Yamaha outboard) and stuck it on a trailer in their garage. Had great times with that boat and it's really convenient for me, but somewhat limited without a hull. So I decided to get a RIB sorted for this season.

Key concerns were capability, aesthetics and price and after looking at a few manufacturers I decided to go for Northcraft. Their background is boats for the north sea oil industry and they really care about their product. And I like dealing with them... Perhaps because I'm also Yorkshireman!

Anyway I've ordered a 6.3m boat (cat B, which appeals to me) and I'm having it fitted out with Outhill console and seating for a less 'industrial' look. I only wish the Outhill stuff was as well made and well priced as the boat, but hey ho. Power is to be provided by a Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke purchased from Outboards Direct. Should be all ready for the water in 8-10 weeks, but boat builders seem to have their own time scale so I'm not holding my breath!

I think it's quite a departure for Northcraft (well they've not built a boat with a lot of white on the tubes and a teak deck before!) so we're all intrigued to see how it turns out! I'll post some pics on here when it's done.
Old 01 February 2008, 15:02   #35

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickdog View Post
Matt

Key concerns were capability, aesthetics and price and after looking at a few manufacturers I decided to go for Northcraft. Their background is boats for the north sea oil industry and they really care about their product. And I like dealing with them... Perhaps because I'm also Yorkshireman!
Shame about their website... its certainly not going to sell many boats

http://www.northcraft.co.uk
Old 01 February 2008, 18:47   #36

Quote:
... I decided to go for Northcraft..... Should be all ready for the water in 8-10 weeks, but boat builders seem to have their own time scale so I'm not holding my breath!
John at Northcraft is a real top bloke and won't let you down, unless it's something totally out of his hands.

Quote:
...I think it's quite a departure for Northcraft (well they've not built a boat with a lot of white on the tubes and a teak deck before!) ..
White toobs? Surely not!

Hope it all goes well
Old 01 February 2008, 19:00   #37

sounds great.would be great to meet up when its finished,
Old 02 February 2008, 08:18   #38

Yeah Downhilldai the tubes are mainly white with blue detailing! Well I like the Italian RIB styling... But not the Italian seakeeping and price!

John is indeed a great guy... And I'm sure he thinks my tubes are a bad idea! Ha ha.

What do think of your Northcraft?
Old 02 February 2008, 08:47   #39

It's a great boat - really solidly built and no corners cut. Sure you'll be pleased with it.
Old 02 February 2008, 08:55   #40

Quote:
Yeah Downhilldai the tubes are mainly white with blue detailing! Well I like the Italian RIB styling... But not the Italian seakeeping and price!

John is indeed a great guy... And I'm sure he thinks my tubes are a bad idea! Ha ha.

What do think of your Northcraft?
He loves it so much, he's bought a Vipermax, Only joking, the NC is a great boat, good seakeeping.