Click Here to Login

Old 26 June 2018, 12:52   #1

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
A Few days touring the Clyde Area by SIB

I hope to post some videos of a few days touring round the south west coast of Scotland in the Clyde and some of its stunning sea lochs. Perhaps it will inspire other small inflatable boat owners to see for themselves that the area has much to offer.

I will be busy adventuring over the next while ..especially as the weather is fantastic in the area... so it may be a while before I get everything turned into watchable videos .. Do look back if you are interested ...and I will update as I get the time.

To start with ..here is a video of going round the lovely Island of Arran with some of the RIBNET SIB outing guys. It was perfect weather so it was easy to do the complete round in one day.

A map of the days adventure …

And the video "Round Arran in a Day … The SIB way"

I hope you are all having time to enjoy the great weather too

Best Regards
The Gurnard
Old 26 June 2018, 13:57   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As usual an excellent video to watch Mr G. You are lucky we were not on holiday in that area over the weekend as I'm sure we would have applied the Fenlander in Scotland drizzle curse!
Old 26 June 2018, 14:29   #3

Thanks for looking in Fenlander and I hope you are having a good holiday.

I know what curses are too ..the poor old Gurnard is cursed on RIBNET SIB outings in the Clyde

Two years ago I got a leak when the Floor wore through a tube. It was due to constant rubbing over its twelve year life. The hole was around the size of a small garden pea. I posted its repair on this forum at the time..Im sure many will remember it.

This year I carelessly threw my grapnel anchor in the bow beside my camping kit and half way down the Klyes of Bute ..a fluke wore through the front tube due to being bounced about in rough waters and made a far bigger hole. The front instantly deflated but the two rear tubes held their pressure and the front held its rough shape keeping water out and allowed me to travel around a mile to a decent camping spot. I went at displacement speed though as on the plane and hitting waves could have proved disastrous.

Reading some report on forums..some people make it sound a major job trying to repair inflatables. You need constant temperature..correct humidity .. use two part glue ...inside patch then outside patch ..MEK and sandpaper etc. That process all sounds rather daunting so a puncture at sea may sound drastic to some ?

So what do you actually do when you get a puncture at sea.?

The truth is .. a quick wipe with a handkerchief dipped in sea water to clean the area ..another wipe to dry it off. A patch and some single tube repair glue works great for me. I did not even coat both tube and patch ..letting it go tacky before slapping it on .. (I would have if I had a pen to mark the patch outline on the tube) Instead .. I put a decent layer on the patch and stuck it on while the glue was wet so both tube and patch had glue. That way I didn’t have glue all over the tube outside the patch area. The glue was the same glue I used two years ago and is now four years old so out of date by three years.

Im not knocking the correct procedure and a commercial type repair is far superior..guaranteed to last as long as the boat etc. ..but if you are at sea ..you don’t need to worry .. single glue patch .. slap it on.. wait for an hour or so and then repressurise works for me and Im sure it will work for others too. (NB I cannot comment on high pressure air floors as I have never repaired one)

I may pull the patch off and do it properly when I next have some two part glue but it can stay put until then. Its already gone 130 miles since its temporary repair..at full pressure and no problems.

Its not the first time I have patched inflatables this way ..I have done it quite a few times over my life’s long journey with my inflatables. Punctures do happen at sea.. so always carry a patch and glue of some sort as part of your emergency safety gear and you wont get stranded or have to panic

A grey patch marks the spot .. I doubt I will put a matching one on the other side

Just some useless info ..but it may put a beginners mind at rest .. and know what to expect and do when it does happen.
Old 26 June 2018, 15:02   #4

Just needs a red felt pen for a perfect result!

Yep like you on holiday I'd happily used the suplied one part glue kit... I do wonder about an HP floor though. Perhaps that would be fine too.

I also carry a Clamseal for an instant repair on a tear up to 3" or so...

Barton Marine - Products - The clamseal
Old 26 June 2018, 21:04   #5

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Nice
Old 27 June 2018, 08:57   #6

Town: Perth
Make: Funyak
Engine: 20 twatsu
Damn this lurgi! Missing the best weather window for years! Fantastic pics Donny, thank you... Helps me stay sane.
Old 28 June 2018, 08:47   #7

Hi Lee and Stevie..thanks for watching the video and commenting ..its very much appreciated.

I managed to get a few hours away from the sea to make this next video from The Clyde area.

It is about my race with the P.S. Waverley on Saturday … however it was more than just a "race"

When I was young.. I tended to look forward to new things .. now Im aging .. I tend to look back on my past a bit more.

That doesn't mean Im ready to lie down and die yet though..as hopefully the video illustrates.

I will get more Clyde Area videos made posted as I find time ..its hard in this great weather though.
Old 28 June 2018, 09:53   #8

>>> I tended to look forward to new things .. now Im aging .. I tend to look back on my past a bit more.

Yes same here... damn those downloads when you could have an LP and spend most of side 1 reading the sleeve notes!

But I know you keep a healthy balance which is a good thing.

A huge part of my enjoyment this last two weeks in Fowey has been the variety of many hundreds of craft about the estuary bringing back memories of sailing/motoring in many of the types going back to those constructed in the 1950s.

Great "chase" video by the way.
Old 28 June 2018, 10:35   #9

Make: F-rib
Engine: Mariner 15HP
Another top video Gurnard. You may not realise what a following these have, but for us it was watching your vid's that really was the trigger for looking into getting a SIB rather than a larger hard boat as we really wanted to be able to explore the coastline more than just cruise around. They have also opened our eyes to the possibilities on the Western coast and are now planning our first trip to that neck of the woods.

So thanks for the effort you go to, it has broadened our horizons!

Cheers,

MM
Old 28 June 2018, 10:49   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
https://www.tear-aid.com/

+1 for quick repairs i use this stuff type A&B for both pvc & hypalon
Old 28 June 2018, 19:57   #11

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Another great video Donny
How you getting on with your doctor hope you get some batteries charged and get up north soon so we can see what your up to [emoji6]
Old 28 June 2018, 20:13   #12

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi Lee and Stevie..thanks for watching the video and commenting ..its very much appreciated.

I managed to get a few hours away from the sea to make this next video from The Clyde area.

It is about my race with the P.S. Waverley on Saturday … however it was more than just a "race"

When I was young.. I tended to look forward to new things .. now Im aging .. I tend to look back on my past a bit more.

That doesn't mean Im ready to lie down and die yet though..as hopefully the video illustrates.

I will get more Clyde Area videos made posted as I find time ..its hard in this great weather though.

[emoji1319][emoji1319]
Old 28 June 2018, 22:49   #13

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
cool thats just been in for a major repair on the rudder my mate was doing the machining at his work on the main rudder shaft
Old 01 July 2018, 09:02   #14

Hi again guys..thanks again for all the kind comments.

I should apologise for the delay in updating this post as I still have to make my videos of Round Bute and going from Dunoon via the Holy Loch ..up Loch Long and into Loch Goil on the hottest day in Scotland for 5 years.

The weather at present is fantastic for small boats and I am hoping to head for far flung islands next week ..so video production is falling behind.

Its not all bad news though..here is part One of going to ASilsa Craig in the Clyde. Its the most fascinating Island I have ever landed on..and believe me ... I have landed on a few.

Its basically the intro to the forthcoming Videos..which will cover the detail of what can be seen there .. however if you want to hear the song of a million seabirds ..watch this one till the end. Its something else .. only the smell is missing.

Best Regards
The Gurnard
Old 01 July 2018, 09:42   #15

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Donny glad you made it to ‘The Craig’ yesterday. But it’s a pity as I was going to go but but when I came out of the harbour didn’t like the sea and the area the wind was coming from so change mind and went north up coast. Same we could have had a natter on the rock. Look forward to part two as always. B
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2018, 10:06   #16

A good call Billy … there was no way a boat could land near the pier. That's where I snapped the seals and you can see the sea. However it flattend to a lovely calm around 1pm and a few boats ventured out to the Craig for a fish then.

I had hope to get to Loch Sween when you were there but I sadly didn't manage..and I suspect the Osprey's will have left the nest now ? Next year I hopefull get some footage of them
Old 01 July 2018, 11:54   #17

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
A good call Billy … there was no way a boat could land near the pier. That's where I snapped the seals and you can see the sea. However it flattend to a lovely calm around 1pm and a few boats ventured out to the Craig for a fish then.

I had hope to get to Loch Sween when you were there but I sadly didn't manage..and I suspect the Osprey's will have left the nest now ? Next year I hopefull get some footage of them

Your welcome at LS anytime hopefully we can grab a pint and a natter. I’ll definitely be there with grandchildren first fortnight in August. Cheers B
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2018, 05:15   #18

I had a day of rest yesterday ..found my feet on dry land and in my own home. Therefore I managed to assemble part two of my visit the Ailsa Craig.

Sadly .. Its a slowly decaying Maritime museum but at least now I have a video to remind me of the wonderful trips I have had to the island by my boats. It is very worth while visiting this volcanic plug in the Clyde and spending a little time soaking in the atmosphere of a long lost way of life.

I believe a small factory in Mauchline still make a few Ailsa curling stones. Although they cant blast rock..I think they can collect a certain amount of granite per year.

Part three will be put on line when its ready .. it will cover the many many seabirds that nest on the Island. Its a strange sight wathing thousands of Gannets peal off the cliffs in unison they fly above the boat. The sight.. sound..and smell.. has to be experienced to believe.

Do come back to see it..it may be a day or two though as Im heading off to sea again today
Old 08 July 2018, 18:54   #19

Hi again guys

I finally got part three video made from my recent Ailsa Craig outing in the Clyde.

This part highlights the Craig as a bird sanctuary and is the last in the Ailsa Craig Box Set. Hopefully you can see why I think of it as The St Kilda of the Clyde.

Its very remote for a small inflatable boat.. its full of birds and has a very interesting and varied history. Probably does not get as many visitors as St Kilda too.!

Hope you enjoy the video .. thanks for watching and a special thanks to those who commented

Best Regards
The Gurnard.
Old 08 July 2018, 19:36   #20

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
[emoji106] as usual Gurnard

Tags
sib