Old 27 January 2004, 08:47   #1

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: DIZZY
Make: Aphrodite 101
Length: 5m +
Engine: Nanni
Rib wanted

I am just starting the search for a Rib.
Key requirements are a boat with reliable reputation for safety and build quality with good resale potential.
Size probably less than 6.00metres but larger than 4.00metres.
It appears that most people who buy a smaller rib soon trade up to 5.00m plus so I don't want to do a two step!
So far I like the look of the Valiant range 4.9,5.2 and 5.7m and note that Humber are well regarded.
Can anyone advise me where not to go as it seems a bit of a minefield with so many manufacturers around.

I do not want to buy anything too old probably under 4 years

The rib will be used for river, estuary and coastal work with the occasional long trips. Sime sking and some diving in a family environment.

I don't want a good rib with a gutless or underpowered engine,
It seems that there are quite a number of missmatches on the second hand market.

What is the best advice about seating, are jockey seats much safer than bench set-ups especially where young children are concerned?

Any other help appreciated.

Old 27 January 2004, 09:08   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Valiants are great boat. you wont go wrong with them.

If it looks good dont worry about the age of the boat. Its the age of engine that you should be concerned about. Have you got a buget?

Old 27 January 2004, 09:28   #3

Budget

I suppose from 4000 if I get lucky to c10000 for something very special.
Old 27 January 2004, 10:34   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Avon 5.4 sea riders and Ribcraft 5,85 are well respected boats

How large is the Family envoirenment
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2004, 11:55   #5

Family environment

2-4 Adults + 2-3 boys under 10
Old 27 January 2004, 12:27   #6

Have a look at Avon Adventures 560's, Vailiant v-490/520/570.

Definstly have a look at Falcon Ribs. In fact ignore every other boat ive listed and have a look at www.rib-x.co.uk.

They are fantactic boats, rib-x being the name of the company that import them from SA and fit them out.

They have an explorer 450 brand new at an incredibly cheap price, see the news section.

If its a first boat that you will trailer around the country with you then go for something around 5m. Bigger than 5.5m and you have to look seriously at where to keep at and what car your going to tow it with.

Ribcraft 5.85's are heavy boats, build to last but very heavy. You will really stuggle with an average family car on a slipway. You could do it, but your clutch wont last long.

ps. Valiant v-490 is the perfect starter boat.
Old 27 January 2004, 14:09   #7

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
If you haven't already...........

take alook at www.boatsandoutboards.com which has to be the best site for 2nd hand ribs, unless anyone else knows otherwise !

Good luck, let us know how you get on, perhaps a trip out with the S.W / S.E or better still, the prefered and more superior N.W Ribsters would assist. You're always welcome up in our neck of the woods.
Old 27 January 2004, 16:56   #8

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Re: If you haven't already...........

Quote:
Originally posted by MeMe
perhaps a trip out with the S.W / S.E or better still, the prefered and more superior N.W Ribsters would assist.
I would have to agree with my very good Mancunian friend at this point. You get a much better appreciation for the characteristics of individual brands of RIBS by going out with groups of ribsters like the ones mentioned by MeMe, rather than becoming overly confused by listening to the well meaning, but ultimately somewhat biased, opinions of the people who own them.

Like cars, motorbikes and any other objects of desire, individual makes of RIB engender huge passions amongst their respective devotees, but what suits one person will not necessarily suit another. And it's also very important to be realistic about what you require from your RIB and I speak from personal experience. A year ago I wanted a small, safe boat to use for short excursions around the Essex estuaries, and therefore bought a 4m Searider. Having taken part in a few cruises over the last 6 months with some very experienced ribsters from this forum, my horizons have been expanded considerably and, with the benefit of hindsight, I now realise that a bigger RIB would have suited my requirements better.

So yes, soak up the vast wealth of experience you'll get on the forum, but make sure you're absolutely certain about your expectations and go and hitch a ride in as many different lengths and makes of RIB before you part with the folding. All the best with your hunting.
Old 27 January 2004, 16:59   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I personally wouldn't buy Falcon , but you pays your maney and you takes your choice.

Based on your intended passenger load you will really need a boat upwards of 5.5 metres. The sea rider recomendation is no longer a valid one as the seating on these boats is rather limited.

If you are looking to buy new plenty of cheap but high quality UK builders around Parker ribs (Andre on this forum) Olmec (ribbraff on this forum) Solent ribs and prosport Ribs (Jason Norman on this forum) all worth talking to.

But you max budget of 10 k really precludes a newbie, unless you want a Falcon without an engine (5.5 mtr size)

re seating. I believe that Jockeys are the safest because you can relieve the strain on your back by riding the waves on your legs. However if your nippers feet don't touch the deck when they are sat on the Jockey it makes little difference. I certainly don't like front seats you can have built into the console, bench seats right at the back seam OK

Pete7 has and excellent Ribtec 6.2 metre boat that would fit in your budget. (he's a mate so I am slightly biased,) re towing buy an old 4'4 for towing if you aint got one.

The Nw ribsters are a good bunch of Guys, I haven;t met the SE lot yet. Another good tip when buying a secondhand boat is too lokk for what popular make comes up a lot secondhand and set your sights on those that don't
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2004, 04:18   #10

Parker ribs are built in Poland and very much favour the comercial market. Andres claims nearly every rib they build now has an inboard diesel.

As for the size, you will find it hard to get a boat that will seat 4 adults and 3 kids. My valiant v-490 would seat 4 and we'd sit the kids on the tubes. It was fine like that for burns down lake windermere and Padstow to rock runs or quick burns in the estuary but you wouldn't want to go a long distance like that.
Consider how many people are likely to be on the boat at once if you do go long distances? And definatly have enough seats for the family.

Saying that a 6m boat is a hell of a lot better out at sea than a 5m but you get problems with where to store it and what to tow it with.

Ive no idea of your situation but ive wanted a proper tow car lots of times but if i bought an old 4x4 then id have no where to store that.