Old 27 January 2004, 12:47   #1

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: DIZZY
Make: Aphrodite 101
Length: 5m +
Engine: Nanni
Rib wanted

I am just starting the search for a Rib.
Key requirements are a boat with reliable reputation for safety and build quality with good resale potential.
Size probably less than 6.00metres but larger than 4.00metres.
It appears that most people who buy a smaller rib soon trade up to 5.00m plus so I don't want to do a two step!
So far I like the look of the Valiant range 4.9,5.2 and 5.7m and note that Humber are well regarded.
Can anyone advise me where not to go as it seems a bit of a minefield with so many manufacturers around.

I do not want to buy anything too old probably under 4 years

The rib will be used for river, estuary and coastal work with the occasional long trips. Sime sking and some diving in a family environment.

I don't want a good rib with a gutless or underpowered engine,
It seems that there are quite a number of missmatches on the second hand market.

What is the best advice about seating, are jockey seats much safer than bench set-ups especially where young children are concerned?

Any other help appreciated.
Old 27 January 2004, 13:08   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Valiants are great boat. you wont go wrong with them.

If it looks good dont worry about the age of the boat. Its the age of engine that you should be concerned about. Have you got a buget?
Old 27 January 2004, 13:28   #3

Budget

I suppose from £4000 if I get lucky to c£10000 for something very special.
Old 27 January 2004, 14:34   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Avon 5.4 sea riders and Ribcraft 5,85 are well respected boats

How large is the Family envoirenment
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2004, 15:55   #5

Family environment

2-4 Adults + 2-3 boys under 10
Old 27 January 2004, 16:27   #6

Have a look at Avon Adventures 560's, Vailiant v-490/520/570.

Definstly have a look at Falcon Ribs. In fact ignore every other boat ive listed and have a look at www.rib-x.co.uk.

They are fantactic boats, rib-x being the name of the company that import them from SA and fit them out.

They have an explorer 450 brand new at an incredibly cheap price, see the news section.

If its a first boat that you will trailer around the country with you then go for something around 5m. Bigger than 5.5m and you have to look seriously at where to keep at and what car your going to tow it with.

Ribcraft 5.85's are heavy boats, build to last but very heavy. You will really stuggle with an average family car on a slipway. You could do it, but your clutch wont last long.

ps. Valiant v-490 is the perfect starter boat.
Old 27 January 2004, 18:09   #7

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
If you haven't already...........

take alook at www.boatsandoutboards.com which has to be the best site for 2nd hand ribs, unless anyone else knows otherwise !

Good luck, let us know how you get on, perhaps a trip out with the S.W / S.E or better still, the prefered and more superior N.W Ribsters would assist. You're always welcome up in our neck of the woods.
Old 27 January 2004, 20:56   #8

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Re: If you haven't already...........

Quote:
Originally posted by MeMe
perhaps a trip out with the S.W / S.E or better still, the prefered and more superior N.W Ribsters would assist.
I would have to agree with my very good Mancunian friend at this point. You get a much better appreciation for the characteristics of individual brands of RIBS by going out with groups of ribsters like the ones mentioned by MeMe, rather than becoming overly confused by listening to the well meaning, but ultimately somewhat biased, opinions of the people who own them.

Like cars, motorbikes and any other objects of desire, individual makes of RIB engender huge passions amongst their respective devotees, but what suits one person will not necessarily suit another. And it's also very important to be realistic about what you require from your RIB and I speak from personal experience. A year ago I wanted a small, safe boat to use for short excursions around the Essex estuaries, and therefore bought a 4m Searider. Having taken part in a few cruises over the last 6 months with some very experienced ribsters from this forum, my horizons have been expanded considerably and, with the benefit of hindsight, I now realise that a bigger RIB would have suited my requirements better.

So yes, soak up the vast wealth of experience you'll get on the forum, but make sure you're absolutely certain about your expectations and go and hitch a ride in as many different lengths and makes of RIB before you part with the folding. All the best with your hunting.
Old 27 January 2004, 20:59   #9

I personally wouldn't buy Falcon , but you pays your maney and you takes your choice.

Based on your intended passenger load you will really need a boat upwards of 5.5 metres. The sea rider recomendation is no longer a valid one as the seating on these boats is rather limited.

If you are looking to buy new plenty of cheap but high quality UK builders around Parker ribs (Andre on this forum) Olmec (ribbraff on this forum) Solent ribs and prosport Ribs (Jason Norman on this forum) all worth talking to.

But you max budget of 10 k really precludes a newbie, unless you want a Falcon without an engine (5.5 mtr size)

re seating. I believe that Jockeys are the safest because you can relieve the strain on your back by riding the waves on your legs. However if your nippers feet don't touch the deck when they are sat on the Jockey it makes little difference. I certainly don't like front seats you can have built into the console, bench seats right at the back seam OK

Pete7 has and excellent Ribtec 6.2 metre boat that would fit in your budget. (he's a mate so I am slightly biased,) re towing buy an old 4'4 for towing if you aint got one.

The Nw ribsters are a good bunch of Guys, I haven;t met the SE lot yet. Another good tip when buying a secondhand boat is too lokk for what popular make comes up a lot secondhand and set your sights on those that don't
Old 28 January 2004, 08:18   #10

Parker ribs are built in Poland and very much favour the comercial market. Andres claims nearly every rib they build now has an inboard diesel.

As for the size, you will find it hard to get a boat that will seat 4 adults and 3 kids. My valiant v-490 would seat 4 and we'd sit the kids on the tubes. It was fine like that for burns down lake windermere and Padstow to rock runs or quick burns in the estuary but you wouldn't want to go a long distance like that.
Consider how many people are likely to be on the boat at once if you do go long distances? And definatly have enough seats for the family.

Saying that a 6m boat is a hell of a lot better out at sea than a 5m but you get problems with where to store it and what to tow it with.

Ive no idea of your situation but ive wanted a proper tow car lots of times but if i bought an old 4x4 then id have no where to store that.
Old 28 January 2004, 18:23   #11

I will rarely have more than 3 adults and 3 kids and if I did need to carry more it would only be in a river situation not open sea.

I tow a Bull 7000 which displaces 1180Kg + trailer etc and launch her sucessfully from a Merc e320cdi, which has loads of torque c470ft.lbs at 2000 rpm.
The fuel consumption drops from 36mpg to 22mpg averaging 55mph towing c1600kg for anyone that is interested. The car weighs c1660kg and its tow limit is 2200kg.
When on a slippery slip etc we use a rope between trailer and car or a cable if available like the one at Suffolk Yacht Harbour (Levington R.Orwell)
We don't rush it and everything goes OK. There is usually a friendly ribster in a wetsuit waiting to launch his own boat to lend a hand.
My least favourite launch site so far is Hamble Point with its akward tide.
Back to Ribs are Humbers OK there seem to be a few around?

How do I find Humber new list prices on the web, they don't have them on their website?

Is a black tubed rib easy to resell should I buy one?

I recall not being able to import a black inflatable into Gibraltar some years ago due to their use for smuggling across the straights to Tangiers

The Humber Destroyer 5 or 5.5 looks a strong safe boat. What is the best engine output for these two options?

Thanks in advance for any clues and for info already given.
Old 28 January 2004, 21:41   #12

How much money you've got really dictates what engine. In my opinion suzuki 4/strokes are the best outboard at them moment and id say on a 5-5.5m either the 90 or the 115hp version would be fine. Im having the 115 on my 575m but its the same engine as the 90 with a different chip that allows it to rev faster flat out so performance at everythign except flat out will be unchanged,

On a 5.5m you could probably have the suzuki 140 but its a lot more expensize than the 115 and it guzzles more fuel.

Opti's are ok, Mercury Mariner and Yamaha fourstrokes are ok but not as good as the suzuki's.

U'll be fine with whatever engine you chose as long as its not an old tech 2-stroke because they have very little second hand value at the moment.

Bear in mind my Valiant 490 did 40mph with a 60hp 2 stroke. But on a heavier boat such as i humber you would want a bigger engine.
Look for something that will seat 6 because on long trips you really have to have everyone seated.
Old 28 January 2004, 21:51   #13

Thanks for info

Any clues as to new Humber prices and where to find them?
Old 28 January 2004, 21:59   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Re: Thanks for info

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter
Any clues as to new Humber prices and where to find them?
It depends on your spec. Phone Humber on 01482 226100, Fax on: 01482 215884 or email: sales@humberboats.demon.co.uk.

------------------------
simmons0........
U'll be fine with whatever engine you chose as long as its not an old tech 2-stroke because they have very little second hand value at the moment.

Won't that make them a very good buy just now?
Old 28 January 2004, 22:42   #15

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
In a word, bollix! how many old 2 stokes have you owned and bought recently. Try and find a decent size 135 - 200 hp 2 stroke because they still comand high prices. My mariner 1988 V6 150 sold for £1400, not bad for a 15 year old engine that ran okay but needed a respray. If you want a big 2 stoke in mint condition then you will be paying top price and need to be quick with cash.

Quote:
Opti's are ok, Mercury Mariner and Yamaha fourstrokes are ok, but not as good as the suzuki's
What is this statement based on ? experience ? visits to london boat shows ? I will agree with you optis are okay and hopefully suzukis have improved from the days we called them Alka seltzer, cos they fizzed so much from different metals when immersed in salt water.

Pete
Old 28 January 2004, 23:06   #16

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Oooo... he rattled your cage a bit there Pete.
Old 28 January 2004, 23:06   #17

Engines bla bla bla

Oh what have I started now? You just luvvv it?

This engine that engine bla bla bla

How about this recent advert posted in Dec 03

Mercury 115HP new in April 2003 currently fitted to a Humber 5.3m rib. The engine has only been used three times as it has proved too big for the Humber. It comes with all its controls, rev counter and trim tilt gauage. There is also a new solas 21 pitch stainles steel prop and the original 19 pitch alloy prop which came with the engine. Can deliver the engine if required.
Price £4500

I bet you could get for £4000

If I had the right rib I could live with a 2 stroke like this.
Old 28 January 2004, 23:17   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by simmons0

Opti's are ok, Mercury Mariner and Yamaha fourstrokes are ok but not as good as the suzuki's.

Simmonds O have you ever owned and operated an Opti or for that matter a Suzuki 4 stroke. It seems a common trait on this thread for all the Suzuki owners to say how unbeatable the engines are before they've even taken delivery of their engines.Yes I know some of you have actually got them !

I don't think either of the engines you have suggested or for that matter an Opti are in Headhunters budget, but if they were then discounting the stunning performance from the Optimax engines is iffy advice.

Also Yamaha engines have an excellent reputation for quality and reliability and whilst I am prepared to believe that the Suzuki engines may well be amazing they at least need to be in use for a couple of years before anyone can testify to their reliability.

Re WJ comments I really do agree with him, Modern two strokes are a good alternative to 4 strokes economy wise but older two strokes are cheap and a lot easier to maintain. and you can buy a lot of petrol with a few grand

Having said my bit , it does seem from Headhunters projected use a four stroke would do him well
Old 29 January 2004, 10:27   #19

Town: Cork
Boat name: Iago
Make: Cobra
Length: 5.8
Engine: Mariner 90 4-stroke
Back to discussion though...

Just based on observation, there's probably not a lot of manufacturers out there building a 5.5m hull capable of taking a 140hp engine. Delta comes to mind but they are a commercial grade design. My 5.8m hull is rated to 135hp.

It's easy to forget that boats can change considerably even though the advertised length only increases slightly. I know several boats which are 5.5m and are physically much smaller and lighter, and easier to manage than my own. They can also carry the same number of people (say 6) faster using a smaller engine.

You need to see the boat up close and personal. Better still (as was suggested already), take one out for a spin.

Interesting comment that there are a lot of mismatched boats and outboards out there on the second hand market. I consider my own boat "matched" to take a few people cruising for the day, but mismatched to take a lump of divers out. Still, I wouldn't say no to a bit more power. Not too sure about overpowering the boat without experience.
Old 04 February 2004, 10:57   #20

Boat found

I have found a suitable rib, just going through the paying for it etc. now.
I need a trailer for a 5.5m any ideas please.