Old 17 December 2018, 22:34   #1

Town: Ireland
Make: Zodiac Open550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 75hp EFi
Zodiac 550 Open Pro 1998

Hi,
I have an old 1998 Zodiac 550 Open Pro in fairly average condition and I’m thinking of giving her a refit in the new year.
The engine is a 98 90hp Evinrude Ocean Pro. It’s running well but it’s pretty thirsty and very noisy but I can’t really justify replacing it at the moment.
She was retubed a good few years ago but a lot of the handholds are cracking and breaking. Can these be removed and replaced? Is there a special technique?
I’m going to clean, compound and polish the hull and interior.
Then I’m going to replace the dead built in vhf and rewire the console as the nav lights don’t work and there are a few items not working.
Has anyone done a similar job or found details of a similar refit on these forums or elsewhere.
I’ve considered covering the nonskid with synthetic teak also.
Any advice greatly appreciated
Old 23 December 2018, 08:36   #2

Town: amsterdam
Boat name: Osprey 18
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Hi Donie,
not much replies.
Have you searched for like wise refits? On this forum.
Remove the handles with moderate heat and refit after cleaning the places throughly, no problem. Use the right glue for the tubes. Hypalon or PVC.
Old 23 December 2018, 09:34   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donie View Post
Hi,
I have an old 1998 Zodiac 550 Open Pro in fairly average condition and I’m thinking of giving her a refit in the new year.
Hi Donie
I've done most of what you've mentioned. Jv4 is right about the handles. IMO if the engine is sound and you do average hours then it's doing you no real harm, even if it burns a few extra litres. If you've compounded GRP before you need no advice. If you haven't then I can give you a few tips. Rewiring makes sense - if you're doing it then use tinned wire and invest in some waterproof hot glue crimps and connecters. Check the condition of your battery cables. If the ends are blackened cut back to clean copper - replace if you need to. IMO teak deck looks nice for a while and then begins to show it's naughty side. It's very simple to recoat the deck with nonslip. I'd save the money for decent electronics. PM me if you want a chat.
Old 28 December 2018, 20:13   #4

Town: Ireland
Make: Zodiac Open550
Engine: Honda 75hp EFi
Thanks for the advice. The old Evinrude V4 is running fine but it is very loud and makes a bit of a whomp on acceleration and coming off the plane. Is there an exhaust piece that could be worn or corroded that needs replacement?
I’ll have a go at the handles and compounding. I’ve done a full surface refinish on a 37ft motorcruiser before so I know what I’m doing in that area.
The deck non skid is okay but gets dirty easily. Probably not worth covering in teak.
There’s an old vhf flush mounted that seems dead. I’ll replace that with something more waterproof.
I’m also going to look at new seats. Are there any good online seat sellers worth looking at? I’m not too fond of the existing seats as they are very low and wobbly. The leaning post type is probably more practical but a slightly higher sturdier set of seats would probably work fine.
The wiring needs some tlc so I’m going to fit a new switch panel. Are there any good ones for exposed outdoor use?
Thanks,
D

Tags
zodiac