Old 26 March 2019, 19:12   #1

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jazcabel
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Petrol 150
What Antifoul?

Firstly, apologies as I’m sure this topic has been thrashed about over the years. By searching through old threads, I still can’t find a suitable answer, so forgive me.

My rib has had previous antifoul and I know the issues surrounding both trying to strip it and what state the gel coat will be under as I’m sure it would have been keyed prior to application.

Also my rib will be on a swinging mooring for 6 months of the year, so I think antifoul is the right way to go.

What I can’t figure out is what type of antifoul to use. There’s hard, self eroding and polishing!! I have heard that as it’s a rib, hard is the way to go, so that’s what I’m steering towards. Excuse the pun.

I’d be grateful for any comments and whether or not anyone has used white colored antifoul instead of colored. It’s just that I want keep the hull the same color as the gel, so for me I thought that would be the way to go.

Thanks in advance
Old 26 March 2019, 19:38   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
You're making the right call.

The first thing you need to determine what level of fouling is experienced at your mooring. It depends on location - you will be light, medium or high. Antifoul paints come in medium and high strengths. If someone else near you has success with a particular product then consider will it work for you.

Next, consider your speeds. Some traditional WAFI antifouls won't be "fast" enough.

After that it's colour and cost. Make sure you use a decent binding primer - one that will work on unknown bases - this will keep your new a/f secure. Make sure you use enough coats - don't skimp.

Tubes - if your tubes rest in the water - consider some hypalon a/f - I'm trialing the Polymarine version this season.

Lastly, ensure that the a/f is compatible with your outboard mounting (some are conductive). If not - mask off an inch of hull and don't paint up to the mounts. Use a different aluminium safe a/f like Trilux on the mounts. Trilux is a fairly gutless a/f in my personal experience (here).
Old 26 March 2019, 20:14   #3

Makes perfect sense. Thanks Willk
Old 26 March 2019, 20:19   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Yer very welcome.

Lastly, if your mooring experiences wave action - be aware that splash will cause green algae and barnacles to grown above the water line. Consider extending the a/f a couple of inches above the resting waterline.
Old 26 March 2019, 20:21   #5

Old 26 March 2019, 20:26   #6
RIBnet Supporter

BTW, I predict Hempel's Hard Racing

I used it once as a cover for a previously a/f ed hull. It was a nice finish, I have no idea how good it was as an a/f....
Old 26 March 2019, 20:28   #7
RIBnet Supporter

That said, it will have to be stripped between years (I think) whereas the Hempel Mille will wear off and finally be pressure washed off before the next season's a/f treatment. One for you to ponder and report back next year
Old 26 March 2019, 20:36   #8

Haha will do. I like the idea of a self polishing antifoul rather than a hard racing type.

I take it there must be a compromise between traveling fast enough that the antifoul erodes quicker vs having to scrape back at the end of the season to re apply.

I was looking at International Ultra 300 or Hempel hard racing as their both hard coverings as opposed to sp or se types.
Old 27 March 2019, 00:00   #9

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I used Ultra when I was on swing mooring in Argyll coast for years and found it very good stopped all the usual growth just a good pressure wash at end of season. Beauty of Ultra is that it erodes so you don’t need to strip!!
Good luck.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote