Old 23 June 2014, 05:38   #371
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Length: 7m +
Working commercially, all my skippers and crew have a well rehersed policy on killcords.
Indeed, whenever I skipper the boat, I a put on a bit of a "performence" for those watching from the Qauyside, to show that we act responsibly.
However .......
Only last week, we were doing some filming and there was a request to do a clip of Ben Fogle and I, getting on the RIB and leaving the pontoon, with the brief that it was a 10 second clip and to return straight back to the pontoon (30 secs in total).
With that mind set, guess who got on and got underway with no killcord? All caught on camera! I hope to God that does not make it to the final edit ......
Steve
Old 23 June 2014, 11:55   #372

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Yep,when ALL is said and done, it is soo easy to miss.

Old 23 June 2014, 14:10   #373
RIBnet supporter

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Quite moving listening to her speak.
She's right. You don't know what's round the corner.....
+1 very moving to listen to, it's a mistake I've made but the only price I've paid is embarrassment
Old 23 June 2014, 16:02   #374

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
One thing ive noticed about killcords use which perhaps doesn't help is that many people when they leave there boats after a day out take the key with them but leave the kill cord in place.
Agree 100% hence my killcords are semi permanently attached to my LJ, i cant leave the helm with the engine running. there is a spare on the Mrs LJ and a spare attached to the back of the helm seat.
Old 23 June 2014, 17:00   #375

Town: Caribbean
Boat name: Rib
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: 2.5 Tahatsu outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
Agree 100% hence my killcords are semi permanently attached to my LJ, i cant leave the helm with the engine running. there is a spare on the Mrs LJ and a spare attached to the back of the helm seat.
Good practice.
Old 23 June 2014, 17:43   #376

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
It's funny, I've never thought of leaving the KC attached to the boat when leaving her - if only for 10 mins. KC and keys always come away with me along with battery isolator key (well the last may be not for just 10 min). I've never thought as the KC as a fixture - more of something to be easily nicked!

I don't keep the KC on my LJ - I have a spare in a cargo net on the console readily availalbe and everyone knows where it is - part of the brief.
Old 24 June 2014, 04:05   #377

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
We Ribbed on an SR5.4 for 10+ yrs..... Never even had a kill cord despite having the mercury optimax toggle switch, it was just left up. Ignorance is bliss until it goes wrong!!!

Coming on here and buying a new boat meant we learned why they should be worn. Education is key, not law. Full credit for her taking up that mantle as outside of this site I'm sure there are plenty of people like us 6 yrs ago!!! All those eBay boaters and bayliner wakeboarders etc

And I'm still guilty sometimes of taking it off my LJ or leg when mooring up alone and running to the bow to grab a buoy. :-(
Old 24 June 2014, 05:11   #378

Town: Southampton
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
And I'm still guilty sometimes of taking it off my LJ or leg when mooring up alone and running to the bow to grab a buoy. :-(
No confidence the engine will restart?
Old 24 June 2014, 05:17   #379

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
I think the RYA could do better with their training to instil safe working practice with kill cords.

In my opinion the engine should always be stopped by removing the kill cord - therefore it can't be started without thinking about the kill cord.

You will never stop the deliberate abusers, but this simple procedure should stop accidentally not wearing the kill cord and test the kill switch regularly - which is a good idea as it is not an intrinsically safe system; failure of the kill switch system will not stop the engine. I have no idea why the RYA do not teach this.

All the best

David
Old 24 June 2014, 06:03   #380

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpround View Post
I think the RYA could do better with their training to instil safe working practice with kill cords.

In my opinion the engine should always be stopped by removing the kill cord - therefore it can't be started without thinking about the kill cord.

You will never stop the deliberate abusers, but this simple procedure should stop accidentally not wearing the kill cord and test the kill switch regularly - which is a good idea as it is not an intrinsically safe system; failure of the kill switch system will not stop the engine. I have no idea why the RYA do not teach this.

All the best

David
This all comes down to the instructor. I always drill in kill cord use - and if i see the use incorrect then this candidate is deferred.

The way I teach is that whenever we change drivers or come in for a classroom session - engine off with key and cord removed from boat then person then cord and keys clipped together, and when you get into the seat its the reverse order, so separate them, then onto person, then onto boat then keys in.

https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote