Old 28 April 2004, 19:32   #1

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Dark Angel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85
Engine: Mariner 90HP Four Stroke
Tohatsu One Design 6m ?

Hopeing to pick all your brains again
Still searching for a RIB and have seen a Tohatsu 6M with a Tohatsu 90hp. I have done a search and read the rib int. review but not seen any first hand comments, so your views would be much apreciated.

Many thanks,

Mark
Old 28 April 2004, 21:21   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I went on the press day when Tohatsu first brought out these RIBs and was pretty impressed with them.

They are quite basic, but appear to be solidly built. The hull gives a good, fast ride -- I think they were getting in the region of 40 knots with a 90hp.

The Tohatsu outboard is not new technology and will be more thirsty than a newer design, however they are reasonably reliable and relatively cheap.

Hope this helps!

John
Old 28 April 2004, 22:16   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Mark, the Solent ribs 6m is a very similar hull, although they may not thank me for saying so. Just bought a 6.6m Tohatsu hull but haven't tried her on the water yet. Tohatsu seem to market them in busts and then go quiet for a while. Mine is 4 years old and there is not a mark on her and seems well built.

http://www.solentribs.com/

Spent a weekend in March on a Solent 6.5m and was very impressed. The biggest let down was no elephants trunk had been fitted (at the request of the owner) so water had to be pumped out, a major draw back in my opinion. Also the throttle had been mounted vetically so finding reverse ment pushing the lever a long way down and didn't lead to a good set up to practise boat handling with. However both are minor faults.

Tubes don't touch the water at rest or lightly loaded which is one of the reasons they manage good peformance figures but the down side is any rib like this isn't as stable and wouldn't suit divers getting kitted up but shouldn't matter to a user looking for performance or a run around rib.

Porters make the hulls and they also have a web site which you might want to look at or visit them in Emsworth.

http://www.porters.org.uk/

As John says the 90 Tohatsu isn't the latest technology but its tried and tested which could be reasuring on the water.

hope this helps

Peter
Old 28 April 2004, 22:41   #4

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I have to disagree with you both here John and Pete. Tohatsu make a TLDI 90hp which is very modern fuel efficient technology - and very well priced aswell. If they had made a larger TLDI engine i would have seriously considered it (i did consider a pair of 90 TLDI's). Of course they may also make a conventional carb 90 - best to check.

I've heard nothing bad about Tohatsu engines but i do feel resale value will be poor.

TLDI "Two stroke Low pressure Direct Injection" is very similar to Mercurys Optimax technology...infact i have heard rumours that it is used under licence from Mercury.

---edit---

Just checked my Tohatsu brocure. They make a 3cyl 1267cc autolube carb 90hp which weighs 135Kg. They also make a TLDI which i guess is based upon the same engine??? Because it is also 3cyl and weighs 135Kg.
Old 28 April 2004, 22:45   #5

Daniel agreed but I think Mark is looking at the 6m tohatsu for sale with a carb 90 hp engine but might be wrong. I have a 90 carb Tohatsu engine on the 6.6 at the moment but plan to swop it out for an Opti if the world will just stop for a couple of days, but only because I want the extra performance from the boat.

http://www.boatshed.com/dosearch.php?cat=11

Pete
Old 28 April 2004, 22:47   #6

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Sorry, thought we were talking new. That seams a bit overpriced... i'll look up what they are new...

From the 2002 price list:

6.1 std spec (console and seat pods) + 90 ELPTO £13250 incl VAT.

Either that broker wants seriously bidding or the boat has a TLDI.
Old 28 April 2004, 22:54   #7

Yep, but all there prices seem to be over the top. The advert does say offers in the description box though and it has been up for sale for a loooong time,

Pete

Aren't you supposed to be heading West ? and do check with Brit that Wave does all his chores before he goes out to play.
Old 29 April 2004, 07:28   #8

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Mark, the Solent ribs 6m is a very similar hull, although they may not thank me for saying so. Just bought a 6.6m Tohatsu hull but haven't tried her on the water yet. Tohatsu seem to market them in busts and then go quiet for a while. Mine is 4 years old and there is not a mark on her and seems well built.

http://www.solentribs.com/

Spent a weekend in March on a Solent 6.5m and was very impressed. The biggest let down was no elephants trunk had been fitted (at the request of the owner) so water had to be pumped out, a major draw back in my opinion. Also the throttle had been mounted vetically so finding reverse ment pushing the lever a long way down and didn't lead to a good set up to practise boat handling with. However both are minor faults.
you are right they are a similar hull but that is where it ends the Solent is a superior build and fit out, as for the customers request for where they want to put things and leave things out what can you do, they have just finished a 6.5 with teak decks rear bench seat 225 on the back it looks absolutley
amazing loads of gadgets ie cd player deck lights? underwater light
fantastic looking boat cant wait to see it on the water,the customer is over the moon with it. and he is having five days on the water with an instructor
to put her through her paces it was built to show the capabilities of the company , the guys at Solent are extremely committed to their product and can,t keep up with demand at the moment well worth a look
regards tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 29 April 2004, 07:44   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
they have just finished a 6.5 with teak decks rear bench seat 225 on the back . . . the customer is over the moon with it. and he is having five days on the water with an instructor
With that power to weight ratio I should think he'll need it!

John
Old 29 April 2004, 08:37   #10

oh bugger!
its not real teak sorry for not pointing this out but that lovely imatation stuff
it looks great on the boat power to weight ratio yes she will be heavier and that's why the max engine size but she will still fly, and does look amazing
trying to persuade them to bring it to rib x as at the mo 6.5 and 6.9 only going to be there .
regards
tim
Old 29 April 2004, 08:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
you are right they are a similar hull but that is where it ends the Solent is a superior build and fit out,
Tim I think you will find Porters have a very high standard of workmanship when they build there own ribs and dinghies. Please don't confuse the quality of there own hulls to the BWMs they had to build down to a price and short time frame.

Pete
Old 29 April 2004, 09:08   #12

Hi Pete
i'm not knocking Porters reputation just stating my opinion in regards
to the build and finish of the Tohatsu range, Porters have to build to a price
and factor in the profit margin, Tohatsu ribs are good but basic
Solent Ribs build in my opinion and i am biased a very good quality rib
with good attention to detail and fit out, the proof of this is a very healthy
order book that continues to grow. i would not like to give the impression
that Porters do poor workmanship because they don,t
regards tim
Old 29 April 2004, 09:32   #13

Town: London/Hamble
Boat name: Hot Mustard
Make: BWM
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90
Quote:
Please don't confuse the quality of there own hulls to the BWMs they had to build down to a price and short time frame.

Pete
Pete
The feedback I've gotten about BWM hulls are that they are on the contrary, a very good hull. I understand that they were built to a budget spec as far as fit out is concerned and that is plain to see, although I do note the workmanship of some other makes which isn't much better, however I would have to say from my own experience and from other unbiased feedback that I've received, that BWM is actually a vey good hull and outperforms many others.

Regards
Old 29 April 2004, 13:10   #14

Bajan, it wasn't so much the quality of the hulls that let BWM down but the way things were attached to them. It would be a regular occurence to see bits of tubes and tube handles fall off.

The Deep Sea 18, 19 and 21s had a novel concave bow design which tended to force water out sideways as the rib move forward. Some liked it others didn't.

They were however a great success because so many dive clubs were able to buy new ribs and get out there and do it in the early 90s.

Peter
Old 29 April 2004, 14:00   #15

Town: London/Hamble
Boat name: Hot Mustard
Make: BWM
Engine: Mariner 90
Quote:
Bajan, it wasn't so much the quality of the hulls that let BWM down but the way things were attached to them. It would be a regular occurence to see bits of tubes and tube handles fall off.

The Deep Sea 18, 19 and 21s had a novel concave bow design which tended to force water out sideways as the rib move forward. Some liked it others didn't.

They were however a great success because so many dive clubs were able to buy new ribs and get out there and do it in the early 90s.

Peter
Pete!
Clearer now!
I've been lucky enough to come across one that's in good shape which leads me to be slightly biased. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Regards
Old 29 April 2004, 15:34   #16

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Peter
And grabrails, electronics, seat pods!!!!

Back on topic, I have a mate with a Tohatsu 7.1m & 150 Ficht. Nice boat, has held up well for 3-4 years and hes been cross channel in it. I test drove a 90 / 6m Tohatsu one design when they first came out. Went well but needed better steering - leastways the one I was on did. They dont feel as solid as some but if you get it for the right price then good value I think. That 90 carb will drink fuel quite prodiguously so be prepared for the bills at the pump!

Alan
Old 29 April 2004, 16:33   #17

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
you are right they are a similar hull but that is where it ends the Solent is a superior build and fit out, as for the customers request for where they want to put things and leave things out what can you do, they have just finished a 6.5 with teak decks rear bench seat 225 on the back it looks absolutley
Ive got to post something about this boat cause it really is awesome.

This is the first boat the guy has ever owned. (went for a nice sensible engine....)
All credit to kevin who does all the fitting out because he must of spent months fitting this boat. Every extra imaginable has been fitted, 6 cd changer with 8 huge speakers, fresh water tanks for an onboard shower, shore power for the wives hairdryer, the list goes on.

Aswell as the extra's there were a few surpises he brought on them. Such as not liking the look of the tubes, so they have been cut to a huge taper to make it look like a revenger. They were others but when i was last down there the owner had asked them to machine a special mount to hold the VHF fist mic. Aparantly the silva one looked "cheap".
Oh and he decided the 'd' fendering didnt look right so that was changed for a flat piece.

Ill post some pictures of both mine and this boat in a few days time.
Old 29 April 2004, 18:51   #18

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Dark Angel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85
Engine: Mariner 90HP Four Stroke
Wow, thanks for all the replies, yes it is the one from boatshed, I'll have a look at the weekend as I'm going up to the sportboat and rib show, but I'll probably hold out for the right ribcraft.

Thanks again,

Mark.
Old 29 April 2004, 22:08   #19

Town: West London
Boat name: Asp
Make: A BLACK Stealthly Metzeler
Length: 4m + really stealthy
Engine: Johnson 70hp VRO - not steathly at all!
Boat pics?

Quote: Ive got to post something about this boat cause it really is awesome.

So where are the pictures then? I'd like to see this as any guy who gets an engine like that on his first Rib gets my vote!

Pete
Old 30 April 2004, 00:01   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki416
Quote: Ive got to post something about this boat cause it really is awesome.

So where are the pictures then? I'd like to see this as any guy who gets an engine like that on his first Rib gets my vote!

Pete

Nice one Suzuki.It's gonna be hard to control when the red mist comes down I hope the instuctor he's spending 5 days on the water with is called Neil Holmes!

I must admit I have heard Solent Ribs referred to as Sohatsu's and now that the Ad Campaign for Solent Ribs is over (hopefully) lets get back to the Tohatsu in question yep it looks pricey but I have a soft spot for em cos I think they are well made and are nippy.

Don't forget also that they were made as a pleasure boat that you good race( hence the name one design) and any racer worth his salt wouldn't want to carry extra weight so there was no need for teak decking, for freshwater showers or a stainless steel anchor chain. Tapered tubes however now that's diferent.

There is a yellow Tohatsu at Drivers Wharf that is for sale, thay haven't had many bites and I don't know how much it is. But I can find out for you if you want. On another note my pal from the North wanted to have a look at the Delta 6 that is for sale in Poole, and as he needed an interpreter so I went with him to have a look That was a very clean and useful boat and the cash price seemed very fair and it went like a rocket!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote