Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave

I must admit I have heard Solent Ribs referred to as Sohatsu's and now that the Ad Campaign for Solent Ribs is over (hopefully) l
Now Now
if you are going to keep knocking them we are going to have to come back and defend them. This is not a sales pitch if it was i would sign off www.solentribs.com every time, SimmondsO said he will post some pictures and i am sure he will along with his rib. as for the size of the engine its down to customers choice again, he is having lessons and has booked 3 extra days
i think it shows sense on his part and that of the manufactuer to recommend
tuition, if only more were like it, any way back to TOHATSU RIBS build good
fit out basic, engines good but better choice from bigger brands, you gets what you pay for,
regards
tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
www.sol (WHOOPS NEARLY FORGOT )
Old 30 April 2004, 10:25   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
re sales pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Now Now
if you are going to keep knocking them we are going to have to come back and defend them. This is not a sales pitch if it was i would sign off www.solentribs.com every time, SimmondsO said he will post some pictures and i am sure he will along with his rib. as for the size of the engine its down to customers choice again, he is having lessons and has booked 3 extra days
www.sol (WHOOPS NEARLY FORGOT )
Tim you don't need to sign out as solent ribs.com because you sign out as www.griffmarineservices.com and if you look under sales on your website I think you might agree that you definitely appear have a commercial link with Lee. Also at what point in my comment did I knock them it was the stealthy sales effort I was knocking

I don't have a problem with Solent ribs as I reckon them, (your 6.9 is an excellent boat), in fact after a few PM's between us Simmons0 had a look at them and bought one, but the fact remains that Lee bought the moulds from Tohatsu. What I have a problem with is somebody dissing a perfectly good secondhand rib when a true statement is made about it's hull design and what it has now become.

re the training my comment stands, that boat is gonna get very twitchy in the chop so if his handling trainer was an man used to high speed performance drivingsuch as a 6 times world champion then I think that would be to the owners benefit. I do not have a problem with a new boat owner being advised to take on training. I also don't have a problem with somebody bolting on a musclebound lump on to the transom think he'd benefit from an extra metre or half of hull though!

regards
Stuart
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2004, 12:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Tim you don't need to sign out as solent ribs.com because you sign out as www.griffmarineservices.com and if you look under sales on your website I think you might agree that you definitely appear have a commercial link with Lee. Also at what point in my comment did I knock them it was the stealthy sales effort I was knocking

I don't have a problem with Solent ribs as I reckon them, (your 6.9 is an excellent boat), in fact after a few PM's between us Simmons0 had a look at them and bought one, but the fact remains that Lee bought the moulds from Tohatsu. What I have a problem with is somebody dissing a perfectly good secondhand rib when a true statement is made about it's hull design and what it has now become.
Idid not post a stealthy sales effort that was young simmonso, i think Pete7
started the ball rolling re TOHATSU V SOLENT talk to Lee about it
as for knocking Tohatsu no stand by comment good boat but basic, engines good but more choice with the bigger brands re training its not me who is doing the course(wish it was) only going on information received , was alarmed at the comment first boat and size of engine as were you but at least the guy is getting training don,t know who the instructor is or what school so i think its safe to say both boats are of similar design but in my opinion the finish is better on the Solent rib, shall we leave this one where it is
regards
tim
Old 30 April 2004, 15:53   #24

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
Idid not post a stealthy sales effort that was young simmons
I dont know about sales pitch. I have no connection what so ever with Lee other than he's buildign my new boat.
Old 30 April 2004, 16:37   #25

actualy i have looked back through this thread and it was me although
not intentional, i can assure you so apologies to simmonso
so humble pie to be eaten by me,only trying to point out the difference
between the two, yes they are identical hull (phantom) but consul and seating and tube maufacturer different and not as basic as Tohatsu
regards tim
Old 30 April 2004, 18:01   #26

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
Talk to Lee at Fairweather marine. I know he'll do you a 6m Solent with a 90hp tohatsu 2/stroke for 14k and that includes double width console, 4 jockey seats etc.
Maybe this was my (not so) stealthy sales effort you were thinking of on a different thread

Even so i made that post to show somone looking for a 6m rib what he can get for his money if he went brand new instead of 2nd hand, not so much to advertise Solent Ribs.
Old 30 April 2004, 18:59   #27

Town: Near Bristol
Boat name: Titch ll
Make: Ribtec 5.85
Length: 5m +
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235054217
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0
Maybe this was my (not so) stealthy sales effort you were thinking of on a different thread

Even so i made that post to show somone looking for a 6m rib what he can get for his money if he went brand new instead of 2nd hand, not so much to advertise Solent Ribs.
I think I am the person who was the recipient of simmons0’s advice, which, when taken on board (ha ha) was valid.

An owners enthusiasm for his rib manufacturer over another is clearly to be expected, I think most forum users are bright enough to factor this in when making a choice.

Anyway from my reading of the forum most manufacturers have their own fan club beating the drum, apart from Falcon who seemed to have lost their biggest fan at the moment.