Old 19 February 2007, 18:34   #1

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Toddlers in RIB's

Trying to work out the best way to accomodate a toddler in my RC 5.3. It's got single jockey plus two twin jockeys behind. Previously on my SR4 I was able to hold him securely on my knee at the console but there's not enough room on RC to do this.

So, options are:

- Whichever adult isn't driving holds him on one of the double jockeys. We tried this and it wasn't overly successful. Toe straps would probably make it a bit more relaxed as you could wedge yourself in better.

- Try and fabricate some kind of seat inbetween the double jockeys. Webbing straps could be used to effectively make a pen between the seats so it was a safe area. Disadvantage of this is he would not be able to see much so would probably create after a while.

- Make a bow cushion for adult to sit on and hold toddler. This is quite a comfortable posn to sit in (apart from the cleat sticking into your backside) and with a cushion would be OK. Wet in bigger waves tho!

There must be loads of folk who have done something like this before. By the time summer comes he'll probably be able to hold on for himself but can't really rely on that at the moment.

Cheers,
Al.
Old 19 February 2007, 18:44   #2

Town: CORNWALL
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by al40 View Post
Trying to work out the best way to accomodate a toddler in my RC 5.3. It's got single jockey plus two twin jockeys behind. Previously on my SR4 I was able to hold him securely on my knee at the console but there's not enough room on RC to do this.

So, options are:

- Whichever adult isn't driving holds him on one of the double jockeys. We tried this and it wasn't overly successful. Toe straps would probably make it a bit more relaxed as you could wedge yourself in better.

- Try and fabricate some kind of seat inbetween the double jockeys. Webbing straps could be used to effectively make a pen between the seats so it was a safe area. Disadvantage of this is he would not be able to see much so would probably create after a while.

- Make a bow cushion for adult to sit on and hold toddler. This is quite a comfortable posn to sit in (apart from the cleat sticking into your backside) and with a cushion would be OK. Wet in bigger waves tho!

There must be loads of folk who have done something like this before. By the time summer comes he'll probably be able to hold on for himself but can't really rely on that at the moment.

Cheers,
Al.
Dont know how old,or weight but have seen these adapted to fit jockey/bench seat,best of luck.http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/0362456.htm
Old 19 February 2007, 18:48   #3

That's definately a possibility. We had though about a car seat as well (one of the light Britax type of things). I'm a bit nervous about strapping kids into the boat tho from a safety perspective.
Old 19 February 2007, 19:07   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
We haven't found a perfect solution - but generally happiest sitting beside mummy or on daddy's knee helping to drive.

There was a discussion by the SW rib folks on this topic about 9 months ago. Some of them were suggesting fold our foot rests on the side of the jockeys like a motorbike pillion seat. Someone (roycruise?) had tried a sling of webbing with footholes in the bottom wrapped over the seat- I guess it is similar to a horse riding saddle then.

Quote:
I'm a bit nervous about strapping kids into the boat tho from a safety perspective.
Presumably you don't take a toddler out in big waves where capsizing is likely. Therefore the risk of him falling overboard must be higher.
Old 19 February 2007, 19:25   #5

Yes he loves to help drive (and also likes pressing every button he can get his hands on!)

Unfortunately on the new boat if he sits in front of me he's effectively sitting on top of the VHF and with the extra bulk of toddler plus lifejacket, makes it near impossible to turn the wheel :-(

Absolutely agree - we would not normally be taking kids out when there are large waves but it can't always be guaranteed and sometimes the journey home can be rough (esp if there is a wind against tide effect).

The webbing strap idea sounds interetsing. A "saddle" would certainly release the amount of pressure required to hold him in place. With some stud or turnbuckle fasters this could be quite simple to fabricate.

Thanks for your suggestions so far
Old 19 February 2007, 20:02   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Yes he loves to help drive (and also likes pressing every button he can get his hands on!)

Unfortunately on the new boat if he sits in front of me he's effectively sitting on top of the VHF and with the extra bulk of toddler plus lifejacket, makes it near impossible to turn the wheel :-(

Absolutely agree - we would not normally be taking kids out when there are large waves but it can't always be guaranteed and sometimes the journey home can be rough (esp if there is a wind against tide effect).

The webbing strap idea sounds interetsing. A "saddle" would certainly release the amount of pressure required to hold him in place. With some stud or turnbuckle fasters this could be quite simple to fabricate.

Thanks for your suggestions so far
OK found the previous thread. It starts around p24 of this epic http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11902&page=24 - and stand corrected - its seems nasher is the inventor of the webbing stirups and roycruise prefers to just tie his kids in!
Old 19 February 2007, 20:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
OK found the previous thread. It starts around p24 of this epic http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11902&page=24 - and stand corrected - its seems nasher is the inventor of the webbing stirups and roycruise prefers to just tie his kids in!
Thanks!
Old 19 February 2007, 21:11   #8

Town: Cork
Boat name: Dalesman
Make: Excalibur 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 1.7 diesel
Couple of ratchet straps should do it
Old 20 February 2007, 05:23   #9

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
I have a 16 month old boy who's spent a fair amount of time aboard the Searider. I strap his stroller down securely in the bow. It's a reclining type with a sunshade, so he can lie back, relax and mostly be out of the sun. Wife insists that he wear life jacket and be strapped into the stroller. He usually falls asleep that way for most of the ride. When he wakes up and gets restless, he rides on the jockey in front of me. Or if we're just bobbing about, I'll let him walk around, only keeping him away from the external fuel tanks. He can't even see over the tubes, so I'm not worried about him falling overboard!

Yes, if if something catastrophic were to happen, he's attached to the boat, but I consider that an extremely small risk, after 39 years of boating myself. Particularly in comparison to the risk of injury from being thrown about in the boat.
Old 20 February 2007, 07:48   #10

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
I think they should definitely be behind the console unless pootling along slowly.
Old 20 February 2007, 08:39   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Rib View Post
Couple of ratchet straps should do it
Nah, stick them in a fender basket on the A-frame

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2007, 18:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker View Post
Yes, if if something catastrophic were to happen, he's attached to the boat, but I consider that an extremely small risk, after 39 years of boating myself. Particularly in comparison to the risk of injury from being thrown about in the boat.
Agreed it's a small risk! Maybe a good solution is to go with the strapped in chair / seat / buggy and if it does start to look bad, hold him (he really likes it when it's rough and is generally quite happy sitting on someone at that point).

Now if only I did have fender baskets!
Old 21 February 2007, 12:18   #13

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Nah, stick them in a fender basket on the A-frame
Or even better: http://www.jollyjumper.com/ Little bugger would get a hell of a ride!

When my kids were really little, we just wedged them between us on the 2 man jockey. As they got a bit older, they progressed to "second helmsmen" position.. in front of me, helping to steer.

As they got older they progressed to riding on the tubes, but as often as not, would just curl up on the deck in a secure corner someplace... And once they became teens and wanted as little as possible to do with parents (but still liked the boat) we would tow them 75' behind on a tube. My oldest once dragged for 23 miles that way!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 19:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
When my kids were really little, we just wedged them between us on the 2 man jockey. As they got a bit older, they progressed to "second helmsmen" position.. in front of me, helping to steer.

As they got older they progressed to riding on the tubes, but as often as not, would just curl up on the deck in a secure corner someplace... And once they became teens and wanted as little as possible to do with parents (but still liked the boat) we would tow them 75' behind on a tube. My oldest once dragged for 23 miles that way!
Yes that would be the ideal situation (to have them wedged between us) but unfortunately the single jockey console and twin seats arrangement make that impossible.

Guess we'll just play around a bit and see what work. Youngest will prob be strapped into a car seat with toddler free to roam, maybe on a lead!

Cheers for all the replies guys.

Al