Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 May 2005, 11:08   #41
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 265
Being armed with peoples opinions won't stop your boat sinking.

Being blunt I'd rather have my dad alive on the other side of the water than be without a tent!
__________________

__________________
Tactical Paintball-Hampshire, Surrey and beyond!
www.crackingday.com
Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 11:12   #42
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 970
Scillies in a 5.5m RIB? Yeah, whatever. I'm paddling from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire this weekend in my sit-on kayak. I've got a 1ltr stainless steel flask and an aquapac for my sarnies, and if it all goes tits up I've got some of those mini-flares to fire at the Irish Ferries Seacat. And don't any of you lot try stopping me coz they've got one of them all weather lifeboats at Holyhead an' all.
__________________

__________________
Phil Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 11:18   #43
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Wouldn't dream of trying to stop you Phil, old chap...indeed, would you mind awfully, carrying these two surplus divers weight belts I have here? They need to go "over the water" to have the clasps repaired, because they don't release very well.... if you fastened them around your waist, you wouldn't lose them over the side in the event of a capsize.....
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 11:24   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 970
ps. I'm not really! (Just in case Codders thinks I'm not joking)
__________________
Phil Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 11:25   #45
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 58
This is a great forum, I am no expert, never even taken a boating course however I always assume the worst case scenario will happen, I doubt you would take unnecessary risks because you asked and didn't just go for it. If the forecast said force 7 I would simply assume that I will encounter force 8 or even 9, why not? This way you aren't surprised if or when it happens, besides I would never put my life in the hands of a meteorologist especially when forecasts change in a matter of minutes, my little RIB can only handle 6 but if the forecast called for force 5 I wouldn't go. Heading out with one engine is always a gamble, at least up here it is. Expect the unexpected, off topic but many years ago an RCMP officer in a kayak was out in Frobisher Bay beautiful day etc... He was attacked by a pack of seals and never returned may he rest in peace. I'm sure he never assumed that could happen and neither would I. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Safe trip if you go. Cheers
I need a larger RIB!
__________________
Arctic RIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 11:28   #46
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 405
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Rob,

I dont know wether to admire you or form the opinion that you are a total headbanger. If ya that desperate to experience rough weather try an hour out on the sea from a shelterd port, not contemplate a full scale crossing.

The sea becomes a lonely place when things are'nt going well. Me and me old man got caught out years ago in a NE 7 ebb tide on the norfolk coast and I aint been so scared in all me life, and we were'nt on a rib. We were on a moonraker 36 with enclosed wheelhouse, twin 175hp diesel's radar, decca nav, gps, lifraft, 200 gallons of diesel etc etc. No port of call on the Norfolk coast for our boat, we even considerded running aground on the beach at cromer. It was that scary. Iv done thousands of miles at sea but I still respect it. Better to be a live coward than a dead hero.

Only you can decide if ya think its gonna be ok. If ya make it good on ya if ya dont I wont be coming to the memorial service. Instead I will look at this thread and think, told ya so

Have a SAFE weekend,

Martin
__________________
osprey__viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 11:34   #47
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic RIB
many years ago an RCMP officer in a kayak..... was attacked by a pack of seals and never returned
Now you are scaring me. Ain't got no harpoon on my kayak
__________________
Phil Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 11:37   #48
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Yes, the forecast could get worse but the weather systems suggest that it will improve, so that's positive.

We suffered from an optimistic forecast on the Weymouth cruise 2002.

The F8 became F10 IIRC.

Story here: Weymouth Cruise this Saturday 12th Oct
Pictures here: Weymouth Pictures

The RNLI were standing by with the ILB at the entrance to Weymouth harbour as the waves crashed over the breakwater.... they watched RIBs leave, and they watched RIBs return, crew a little bit paler and wide eyed!

Only two RIBs returned by sea. One was 8m the other 4.7m
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weymouth 02.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	12110  
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 11:38   #49
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 58
Hey Phil, I posted before I read your post. Sounds fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	12111  
__________________
Arctic RIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 11:40   #50
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 390
From here in the US, I don't know how long your trip is, but personally, I'd probably go too. I've only been ribbing for a couple of years, but I've been out in a smaller, less capable rib in conditions as big as that. Somewhat smaller water though, on Tampa Bay in Florida. I've also been sailing my whole life, so I'm comfortable and experienced with boats in general. I'd have been much more comfortable and happier in my 5.4 Searider as opposed to the crummy 4M Zodiac I was in.

Force 7 maxes at 33 knots, which is a lot of breeze and sea, approaching the limit of my tolerance, which @ 35 knots gets much worse (Force 8), and 40+ is simply insane (Force 9). I managed to sink a sailboat in a Force 9 line squall. Fortunately there was assistance immediately at hand.

Plan on using a LOT of fuel, being very wet and cold. Overdress! Be prepared with proper safety gear. I wouldn't choose to go out in Force 7+ just for fun, but if I have a reason, I'm prepared, and confident in my gear, I'd go. Sure would be nice to have company on board though.

My other consideration in weather forecasts, at least with NOAA in the US, is that they tend to err on the high side of the forecast. I don't know if that applies in the UK, but I generally find reality will be 5-10 knots lower than the official forecast. However, I always will do a reality check based on the actual conditions, and take into account the trend in the forecast. In this case, getting more favorable. Based on the forecast you posted, I might choose to leave a bit later to allow conditions to improve.

You have to make your decisions based on available information, starting with the actual conditions, and make a judgement based on the forecast trends. Be safe, have fun.
__________________

__________________
dctucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.