Old 27 May 2005, 10:57   #21

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
It worth checking, however, that your insurance is valid....for leaping from waves like a loon, like me........
Hiya, Daniel....
Old 27 May 2005, 11:01   #22

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
thats it if daniel said no

don,t go he is a total nut case and stories are told about him on slipway around kent he fell off his rib jumping waves and then had to swim back to it

daniel
Old 27 May 2005, 11:09   #23

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
In defence of my hard earned reputation as an all round nutter i did not say i would not go out in these conditions, and indeed get some very large air i am sure - just that i would not make this trip
Old 27 May 2005, 11:33   #24

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Why not go on Sunday and return on Monday - looks like the weather is much better 24hrs later!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 11:52   #25

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Rob, My thoughts on reading this thread are that you have done enough ribbing to think you are experienced when in actuality you are not. You haven't been frightened. You dont respect the sea. Your previous experience in a Force 6 was probably not in a Force 6. I've done that trip in a force 6 in a 6.2m boat and I tell you that it was challenging, exhausting, occasionally frightening and ended up damaging me, the boats owner and the boat. (Remember that one Brian?!)

To do that trip in that forecast alone is irresponsible. You might get away with it. You might end up needing rescue. You might end up dead. You've got a wife and kids who I assume would miss you. Take the ferry. Have a good weekend in the Scillies without the RIB and do it again another day, in better weather, preferably with company.

Or go. Be a Darwin award candidate.

Your choice.

have a good weekend.
Old 27 May 2005, 11:52   #26

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Red Mist desending.

Rob sometimes one makes a decission to do something and there's nothing anyone alse can say to change your mind. In fact more often than not it's not other peoples opinion that drives you it's your own. This happens to me quite often, it's some sort of compulsive disorder I'm sure.

Anyway, if you really feel you have to go and that something within you is driving you then at least get yourself well kitted out, follow the advice of Louise and make sure you have all the necessary safety equipment to see you through troubled times should they arrive.

However, let the logic side of your brain take over when you arrive at the slip, don't let the "red mist" desend and cloud your view. If it ain't lookin right don't go. At least you will feel appeased at having made the effort.

After all, we only hear about old Chris Columbo finding America, we don't fully appreciate the fact that he went back to bed several times before he actually set the mainsail and hey, he was looking for America not the Scillies.

Whatever your decission, it will be the right one for you.
Old 27 May 2005, 12:03   #27
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I haven't looked any any forecast apart from what you posted, but if tomorrow really brings "southwest 5 to 7 decreasing 3 or 4", at least things should be getting better rather than worse!

I would be looking at postponing the trip until it was clear that the wind was dropping. I certainly wouldn't plan on an early start.

Keep an open mind. Check the forecast tonight and tomorrow morning. If the forecast still says that the wind is dropping, check with the coastguard to confirm that it actually is getting better.

If the met for Sunday is significantly better, go on Sunday.

If you do decide to go for it, then check that everything on your boat is in good mechanical order. Make sure you have a lot more fuel than you calculate you'll need as your consumption will suffer if it's rough. Make sure your safety equipment, especially VHF and flares, is all in good condition and accessible. Wear a life jacket and a drysuit (you'll need both if you end up in the water). File a passage plan with the coastguard, and tell them when you arrive. Oh, and have fun!

John
Old 27 May 2005, 12:09   #28

...or...in JK's case.. make sure that the drought period hasn't lowered the level of the cut too much...and make sure you've got your lock key before venturing into the unknown....
Old 27 May 2005, 12:19   #29

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
...or...in JK's case.. make sure that the drought period hasn't lowered the level of the cut too much...and make sure you've got your lock key before venturing into the unknown....
And enjoy the steady thump thump of that big old Lister or if you are a real enthusiast/Anorak single cylinder Bolinder!
Old 27 May 2005, 12:31   #30

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
I am going over on Monday, all been well.

I don't know about doing the crossing in a 5m rib solo, I wouldn't do it on the ferry in that weather, there is going to be more people throwing up on there than on a P&O cruise ship in the med with a bad case of food poisoning

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 12:36   #31

Town: Port St Mary
Boat name: No room for a name
Make: Honwave 2.7 ie
Engine: Honda 5
Rob

Jono has all the right ideas as to this trip, the weather forecast is just a best guess and could get much worse. We all have to bite the bullet sometimes if we get caught out, but to set off on a trip like this with little or no experience and also to suggest following the ferry is at best foolhardy.

Take a good level two course and then crew for a trip or two and then think of chasing the raised limits of your ability’s

Don’t forget that your bad judgment could result in the loss of a much needed lifeboat man.

Think again and enjoy ribbing and gaining experience in better weather and in the company of others who have worn the T shirt etc
Old 27 May 2005, 12:39   #32

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Hmm, straight into a F5 on the nose, you will be making 8 knots tops in difficult seas. Think I would wait 24 hours because the forecast will change dramatically in your favour.

http://www.metcheck.com/48HourInshor...&inshoreID=120

Pete
Old 27 May 2005, 12:53   #33

Town: London
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: Honda 150hp
Wow great response

As I typed my last post I thought I would provoke a decent reaction.

I will assess the situation tomorrow morning whilst sat in Penzance - if need be I will of course wait for kind window.

Its so frustrating though as I am sat in London and it feels like I should be in Spain with this mini heatwave.

I go along with Me Me school of thoughts.

Although I do remember getting this level of advice last time and that was due to it being my first ever serious outing. And that turned out to be the best weekend ever.

I do have some pressing issues though - as my family will be in St Marys with no tents or equipment. So my back is against the ropes in that I have to be there to meet them.

Great to see everyones concerns though

Will post some pics next week
Old 27 May 2005, 12:58   #34

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Take it easy and have an enjoyable, safe trip!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 14:15   #35
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jones
Although I do remember getting this level of advice last time and that was due to it being my first ever serious outing. And that turned out to be the best weekend ever.
And this time round you're not very much more experienced, the forecast is worse, and you've done it once successfully so may just be more confident than you should be!

I'm sure you'll make the right decision in the end.

John
Old 27 May 2005, 14:20   #36

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Isn’t this an argument for Russian roulette if you don’t get shot the first time you never will Des
Old 27 May 2005, 14:32   #37

reckon its a goer - bit more internet research shows Force 5 18 knots of wind.

No problems - Its interesting to see that most of the extreme ribbers on this site have a limit of Force 6?

Next week (If I survive) I will be the one dishing out the advice on how to deal with a Force (whatever it runs out to be) on the nose solo crossing to the Scillies.

Experience is not gained from IT forums it comes from getting out in the real world.

Come on guys lets take the fear emotion out of this and get down to facts.

Do we think I 5.5m RIB could handle Force 7.

If anybody fancies a pint I will probally be holed up in a pub in Penzance all day (HA HA)
Old 27 May 2005, 14:43   #38

Quote:
No problems - Its interesting to see that most of the extreme ribbers on this site have a limit of Force 6?
Do they? Ask Jono G about his force 10 exploits some day......

Quote:
Next week (If I survive) I will be the one dishing out the advice on how to deal with a Force (whatever it runs out to be) on the nose solo crossing to the Scillies.
I shall look forward to that....

Quote:
Experience is not gained from IT forums it comes from getting out in the real world.
No shit?

Quote:
Do we think I 5.5m RIB could handle Force 7.
No one on here thinks the boat isn't capable....

Seriously, why the feck' did you ask for advice from people if you have no intention of listening?
Old 27 May 2005, 14:58   #39

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
So the answer is NO.
Old 27 May 2005, 14:58   #40

Better to be armed with other peoples opinions.

Might as well try and gleen as much info as possible from others with more experience.

Let us not forget that this is a forum - not sure why people get so defensive when somebody has a new outlook or opinion. If we all agree on the same topics you might aswell give up. This is probally why this thread has created a good response.

Would people prefer it if I was to follow the crowd and agree with the replies I have just had.

I wanted to know what people thought of going on in a force 7. With limited experience how do you know if a force 7 is to much - you dont. But by asking around I now know that most memebers (DEFO not ALL) regard this trip as foolish and un achievable.

I will assess - and I think most people have now gatherd that I will cross tomorrow.

I like the new scary slant I now have of this crossing - will make my 7 hour drive tonight after work the more interesting as I mull over the possible scenarios.