Old 27 May 2005, 15:08   #41

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
Being armed with peoples opinions won't stop your boat sinking.

Being blunt I'd rather have my dad alive on the other side of the water than be without a tent!
Old 27 May 2005, 15:12   #42

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Scillies in a 5.5m RIB? Yeah, whatever. I'm paddling from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire this weekend in my sit-on kayak. I've got a 1ltr stainless steel flask and an aquapac for my sarnies, and if it all goes tits up I've got some of those mini-flares to fire at the Irish Ferries Seacat. And don't any of you lot try stopping me coz they've got one of them all weather lifeboats at Holyhead an' all.
Old 27 May 2005, 15:18   #43

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Wouldn't dream of trying to stop you Phil, old chap...indeed, would you mind awfully, carrying these two surplus divers weight belts I have here? They need to go "over the water" to have the clasps repaired, because they don't release very well.... if you fastened them around your waist, you wouldn't lose them over the side in the event of a capsize.....
Old 27 May 2005, 15:24   #44

ps. I'm not really! (Just in case Codders thinks I'm not joking)
Old 27 May 2005, 15:25   #45

Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
This is a great forum, I am no expert, never even taken a boating course however I always assume the worst case scenario will happen, I doubt you would take unnecessary risks because you asked and didn't just go for it. If the forecast said force 7 I would simply assume that I will encounter force 8 or even 9, why not? This way you aren't surprised if or when it happens, besides I would never put my life in the hands of a meteorologist especially when forecasts change in a matter of minutes, my little RIB can only handle 6 but if the forecast called for force 5 I wouldn't go. Heading out with one engine is always a gamble, at least up here it is. Expect the unexpected, off topic but many years ago an RCMP officer in a kayak was out in Frobisher Bay beautiful day etc... He was attacked by a pack of seals and never returned may he rest in peace. I'm sure he never assumed that could happen and neither would I. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Safe trip if you go. Cheers
I need a larger RIB!
Old 27 May 2005, 15:28   #46

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Rob,

I dont know wether to admire you or form the opinion that you are a total headbanger. If ya that desperate to experience rough weather try an hour out on the sea from a shelterd port, not contemplate a full scale crossing.

The sea becomes a lonely place when things are'nt going well. Me and me old man got caught out years ago in a NE 7 ebb tide on the norfolk coast and I aint been so scared in all me life, and we were'nt on a rib. We were on a moonraker 36 with enclosed wheelhouse, twin 175hp diesel's radar, decca nav, gps, lifraft, 200 gallons of diesel etc etc. No port of call on the Norfolk coast for our boat, we even considerded running aground on the beach at cromer. It was that scary. Iv done thousands of miles at sea but I still respect it. Better to be a live coward than a dead hero.

Only you can decide if ya think its gonna be ok. If ya make it good on ya if ya dont I wont be coming to the memorial service. Instead I will look at this thread and think, told ya so

Have a SAFE weekend,

Martin
Old 27 May 2005, 15:34   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic RIB
many years ago an RCMP officer in a kayak..... was attacked by a pack of seals and never returned
Now you are scaring me. Ain't got no harpoon on my kayak
Old 27 May 2005, 15:37   #48

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Yes, the forecast could get worse but the weather systems suggest that it will improve, so that's positive.

We suffered from an optimistic forecast on the Weymouth cruise 2002.

The F8 became F10 IIRC.

Story here: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....light=weymouth
Pictures here: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....light=weymouth

The RNLI were standing by with the ILB at the entrance to Weymouth harbour as the waves crashed over the breakwater.... they watched RIBs leave, and they watched RIBs return, crew a little bit paler and wide eyed!

Only two RIBs returned by sea. One was 8m the other 4.7m
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weymouth 02.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	12110  
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 15:38   #49

Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
Hey Phil, I posted before I read your post. Sounds fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	12111  
Old 27 May 2005, 15:40   #50

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
From here in the US, I don't know how long your trip is, but personally, I'd probably go too. I've only been ribbing for a couple of years, but I've been out in a smaller, less capable rib in conditions as big as that. Somewhat smaller water though, on Tampa Bay in Florida. I've also been sailing my whole life, so I'm comfortable and experienced with boats in general. I'd have been much more comfortable and happier in my 5.4 Searider as opposed to the crummy 4M Zodiac I was in.

Force 7 maxes at 33 knots, which is a lot of breeze and sea, approaching the limit of my tolerance, which @ 35 knots gets much worse (Force 8), and 40+ is simply insane (Force 9). I managed to sink a sailboat in a Force 9 line squall. Fortunately there was assistance immediately at hand.

Plan on using a LOT of fuel, being very wet and cold. Overdress! Be prepared with proper safety gear. I wouldn't choose to go out in Force 7+ just for fun, but if I have a reason, I'm prepared, and confident in my gear, I'd go. Sure would be nice to have company on board though.

My other consideration in weather forecasts, at least with NOAA in the US, is that they tend to err on the high side of the forecast. I don't know if that applies in the UK, but I generally find reality will be 5-10 knots lower than the official forecast. However, I always will do a reality check based on the actual conditions, and take into account the trend in the forecast. In this case, getting more favorable. Based on the forecast you posted, I might choose to leave a bit later to allow conditions to improve.

You have to make your decisions based on available information, starting with the actual conditions, and make a judgement based on the forecast trends. Be safe, have fun.
Old 27 May 2005, 15:52   #51

Town: London
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: Honda 150hp
The time is but approaching

Well this thread has accelerated my boring afternoon.

I will let you all know how I get on - although take no post by Thursday as confirmation of my failure.

On the whole we have a mixed bag of opinions, some would some wouldnt.

This time tomorrow I will either be sat on the beach on St Agnes or blowing bubbles with the basking sharks (fingers crossed).

On the brightside I will only ever be 15 miles from a shore - unless of course I miss the Isles and end up lost forever - did I mention I dont know how to read a chart?

Have a great weekend all
Old 27 May 2005, 16:18   #52

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
If you feel the need to ask a question about a critical safety issue like this, then I think you've answered your own question, haven't you? If you are looking for someone else to make the decision for you, you are not yet ready to make the journey, whatever it is, on your own. It is ALWAYS the right decision to pull a trip if you are not certain about the weather or your/your boat's capabilities... Wait for a better weather window or go in experienced company..... Cheers, Jono... (a devout coward)
This answers the question best I think Rob. Please listen. It's a braver decision to stay on the pontoon when the forecast worries you.

The risk factors are exacerbated in poor weather and it's harder to manage everything onboard as well.

It ain't loads of fun in a F7-8 for any length of time !

Your decision as Skipper however and if you go...safe trip The chart is a necessity in case of GPS failure.

missus
Old 27 May 2005, 16:20   #53

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Rob, when are you returning to the main land, will you still be over there on Monday when I arrive?

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 20:35   #54

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Rob
I’ve done PZ to Scillies a few times, mostly on the Ferry and it can get bloody rough just off Lands End where the Channel meets the Atlantic.

When you are in PZ why not pop into the sailing club, its on the left side of the slip at the Quay, there should be a few people around, members hold an annual PASAB (Penzance Around Scilly and Back) and should be able to give some good advise.

http://www.pzsc.org.uk/index.htm

Have a great time what every you do.

I can recommend the Hicks Strong Draft 

Cheers Shaggy
Old 27 May 2005, 23:20   #55

Town: Lochgelly
Boat name: Purrdy
Make: Northcraft
Engine: Mariner 135hp ob
MMSI: 235029446
Spent a weekend based off Garbh Eiliach whilst diving in the area back in 94. Due to time constraints, fuel etc ended up coming back down the Sound of Luing for Loch Crinan in a forecast 6 which ended up as an 8 near 9 in a 6 metre Temptress rib with a 140 Johnson on it. We survived but it was so bad occasionally I wished the rib would just break up and end it. We went through the Grey Dogs which in retrospect was a mistake and I can still remember the sound of the gravel at the bottom of the channel growling as we fell of the standing wave at the start of the run through. The run to the Scillies sounds a piss ball in comparison, but I think you are a fool to go out single handed, single craft in anything over about a high 5. I`ve only got about 900 hours cox experience with dive ribs so I will bow to anyone with more seatime or skill.
Oh P.S. it took us 5 hours to do that run and emptied the 150 liter tank and several 5 gallon jerrys we had strapped to the bottle rack.
Have fun.
Old 27 May 2005, 23:26   #56

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarla
We survived but it was so bad occasionally I wished the rib would just break up and end it.
That does sound bad. Been out in bad stuff but never wanted the boat to break

missus
Old 28 May 2005, 21:46   #57

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
I spoke to Rob at Penzance this morning.

He hade made one attempt at 0630 as per his plan, but aborted when in Mounts bay and returned to Penzance, where I saw him.

It does look like he set off later in the day as his car and trailor were in the car park, but no boat.

But no lifeboats have been launched and the coastguard are not searching for any overdue ribs between Penzance and the Isles of Scilly, so I would assume all is well and Rob finally met his family (who had booked into a B&B after his aborted first attempt).

I will probably see him on Monday, when no doubt we will be ragailed by tales of daring do on the high seas.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2005, 21:54   #58

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
It's turning into a episode for lessons learned...

On Friday afternoon I checked that Rob had everything he needed - he's equipped with a drysuit and VHF and was confident that he didn't need a the loan of any additional equipment.

I suggested that he should check out with the coastguard before making the journey, and then check in at his destination. I also gave him my mobile number and asked him to 'phone this evening, whether he arrived or aborted the trip.

I haven't heard from Rob, but as I don't have his number I can't confirm his arrival.

If anyone knows his mobile number, perhaps now is the time to give him a call!

Fingers crossed and all that.. hope you're speaking to him on Monday as anticipated, Alex.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2005, 22:23   #59

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
I'm glad his family got booked into a B&B - that would have taken a lot of the "must get there at all costs" pressure off him which is not the best policy faced with the conditions this morning (SW F7 & 4.6m wave height at Seven Stones LV )

Let's hope no news is good news

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2005, 22:43   #60

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Do we know whether Rob is dead or alive?