Old 13 April 2003, 16:00   #141

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally posted by Fiona P
it's not the size its the quality that counts!!! he he!!
Funny what you say my wife says that too LOLOL
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2003, 20:41   #142

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Manos, go away. You're a pest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manos, I see you've pulled the picture. I'll give you credit for that.

JW.
Old 13 April 2003, 21:02   #143

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Fi, if you are selling A frames for £1000 each I must be in the wrong job, and I thought Ribtec were expensive.
Old 13 April 2003, 21:10   #144

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
I have to defend Fiona P here, these "A" frames are serious bits of work, all luvly 2" S/S tube, loads of curves and bends,highly labour intensive construction, double tubes, absolutely first class work from best boys for the job from littlehamptom. don't get em confused with some of the old tosh you see on some ribs.
Old 13 April 2003, 21:33   #145

Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
Not sure if I'm sorry I started you all off again or not!! Some very interesting reading here, amongst the irrational rants that is!

I posted on this subject as I'm in the market for a boat and car at the same time, and couldn't help compare what you get for what you pay!!

Following the advice posted in response; I should either root out an old Moskovitch, and buy a Scorpion, or buy an Audi, some hypalon fabric, glue, fibreglass, and an old steam engine! Which I wonder.

Can it really all be down to inefficient manufacturing techiniques/low volume/expensive labour?

Shouldn't say this as it's for sale, but my poor little Humber is atrociously built! Fit/finish/fairness of line etc. None would score highly in anybody's book, yet it still commands a "significant" RRP!! Why?
Old 13 April 2003, 22:00   #146

Windchill, probably because it's a good boat.

I've now got 2 Humbers. My original will be for sale when the new one is complete. However, the 'old' one was a bit utilitarian in build but, in the 7 years I've owned it, it has never frightened me. I've frightened me with it, but that's another thing. My new one, whilst still a typical Humber, is very well finished. In some ways, outstandingly so. Also, the old one has done many thousands of miles and there are no cracks, no crazing, the hull's still shiny and the tubes, although a bit paler than when they were new, are fine with no signs of perishing, porisity etc. which you hear about regularly about other makes.
As an example, I was recently at a boat show where a new Revenger was for sale. It had obviously been trialed and there were gel stress cracks around the tube attachment flange at the bow. How flexible/flimsy must that be? It hadn't even had 1 owner yet.
JW.
Old 13 April 2003, 22:26   #147

Town: Southampton
Once again I will say 'There's different horses for different courses'
You wouldn't catch me buying a workboat Rib like you lot seem to like - usually black, grubby and slow - but as you say very good in North Sea conditions! but who the hell wants to go out for the day in a force 8 in the middle of the sea! Ya all mad!

I like luxury, style, high performance and good weather - No crap, There's loads of that around! Just mind the Cowboys when you buy a rib and ask to see it in production - then you'll find out if the builder, manufactures themselves or subs the work out! Check what the boats made of fibreglass or kevlar composite. Dont compare the price of two ribs until you know all the facts - 'Dont judge a book by its cover'

All I can say listening ta some of you is - go buy a Skoda! he he he he!!!!!
Old 13 April 2003, 22:33   #148

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Fiona P
I like luxury, style, high performance and good weather
- So Fiona, are you saying that Mark Pascoe RIBs are "fair weather" RIBs?
Old 13 April 2003, 22:39   #149

Hey Fi,

This is the UK. You know, that place where you can get four seasons in one day. You might end up in a force 8 but it was a 2 when you left for your blast/picnic/blast back home again. Then what do you do after you've burried the bow and all that style is soggy?

JW.
Old 13 April 2003, 23:14   #150

Tut Tut boys we just differ in style! No I have no intentions of going out in a Force 8 in the North Sea - Would I cope with a force 6 going to Poole from Hamble - Yes! especially in an SR9 - which are excellent in that condition! and no I dont have a financial interest in the company!

I enjoy luxury, high performance and actually an inboard volvo in an SR9 - favourable!

One of MPL's outboard Ribs was clocked at 93 mph last week - If a storm broke out, it wouldn't take long to get to land! and if you are any good as a seaman ya should be able to judge the weather for four hours! If not and ya get caught you drive to the sea conditions!

But one thing Lads I will state - some of you need to take lesssons on how to drive boats! and stop living off ya ego's blaming the vessel! There's nothing better than a good driver and I think I can name them on one hand in the high performance market! he he he!! but loads who think they can!!
Old 13 April 2003, 23:41   #151

But one thing Lads I will state - some of you need to take lesssons on how to drive boats! and stop living off ya ego's blaming the vessel!

Where did that come from. Are you reading the same thread as me?

JW.
Old 13 April 2003, 23:51   #152

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Dear Fi Please remind me if I ever own a Rib building company which is doughtfull, Dont let me ever put you in charge of Sales.

It was great meeting up today though.

Nite Nite Im Cream Crackered
Old 14 April 2003, 22:30   #153

I'm crap at sales C.H, would love someone to teach me! he he!!

Anyway, dont take me seriously lads! Dont want to upset ya and chuck ya toys out of ya prams! I mean no harm just an observation in costings of a Rib company I used to work for! and facts I know are true.

Old 14 April 2003, 23:04   #154

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
"But one thing Lads I will state - some of you need to take lesssons on how to drive boats! and stop living off ya ego's blaming the vessel!"

Fi, for a moment you made Splodge sound almost Innocent, but apology accepted.

Now if you want to improve our boat handling may I suggest you offer a 50% discount on 8 and 9 m ribs to members of this forum. I am sure that would go down well, your sales would improve and we could all learn how to use big ones, which you seem to prefer.

Any chance of a pic of your bits ? 'A' frame dear, 'A' frame, I am still curious what a £1k piece of S/S looks like,
Regards
Pete
Old 14 April 2003, 23:06   #155

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
the people I will expose (with invoices, receipts, quality statements and quality inspection results etc etc) in the next few days!! Just watch this space..
- Ok Manos, I've been watching this space for a few days, what's going on?
Old 14 April 2003, 23:20   #156

Pete 7 - Unfortunately would love to give you 50% off to see you with a larger one!!!! but unfortunately I am no longer in the Rib business, handed my half of the business over to a man who has a large one - quality, size and performance!! That is a SR9 of course! wait and see his new ones that will be launched over the next year! Now I'm just a keen supporter of Ribs!! and still like a good ride if I can get one!

Please take my sense of humour in the right way not meant to offend - you lot are so touchy sometimes!! he he!!

Oh forgot to say if ya want to see me bits - go onto sportrib.com - some of the SR9 models, all A frames custom made, and the new radar arches - fantastic workmanship - all crafted out of aluminium and then powder coated white - fibreglass arches just couldn't stand the pace and cracked!!
Old 14 April 2003, 23:37   #157

Fi I wholy welcome you with open arms as supporter of ribs taking an interest as I am sure you would agree,they are the best all round boats you can get.

We all know each other on here and have a healthy attitude of questioning each other views on different subjects.So please there is no need to appologise to any of us.Your realy welcome and even if your a little Crazy then you will be right at home with all us lot.

WELCOME MRS PASCOE AND I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO YOUR GUTSY ATTITUDE AND WELCOME YOU TO RIB NET
Old 14 April 2003, 23:50   #158

Love u too CH!!! not so much of the Mrs Pascoe please - sounds like I'm still involved with the company and on a advertising campaign! and I'm not!!! no connection any more - just believe in the product! and love high performance.

Ya making me sound like i'm in a zimmer frame, well maybe I need one when i've had a few drinks. Crazy - yes 100% must be to love RIbs and not gin palaces!!

Must state that I think Ribnet and Boatmad are wonderful tools to meet people from all over the country to discuss boating - Plus making new friends with the same interest - found that out last weekend! Crazy horse does like his boat talk nearly as much as John Fuller and Mark Pascoe! 100% to both sites - well done!
Old 14 April 2003, 23:59   #159

Fi you will know a better boat after 6 months on here and boatmad For sure Fi.

Im up for the Grind again, so I have to wish you all nity nite.
Old 15 April 2003, 08:51   #160

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7
[Bfor a moment you made Splodge sound almost Innocent, but apology accepted.[/B]
Splodge was innocent, litterally, he was also smudge